Poll: Fem Shep hair colour voting on FB

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
Bioware is currently conducting a "survey" of sorts on Facebook in which the users can vote on Female Shepard's hair coulour. This is the second round of votes with the previous one had ethnicity thrown it the mix as well. Apparently, that poll, the manga-inspired Caucasian looking fem-shep won the day, which can be clearly seen in Bioware gallery on FB (link below).

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150264015271645.327924.85811091644&type=1

So currently there are four hair colours in the running; raven black, blonde, brown and red. By the time of writing, red is in the lead with over 13000 votes so far. And well justified too, female Shepard is just super hot in red.

Personally, I never played any of the Mass Effect games with the standard appearance, but as it looks now, the standard fem-shep option is looking pretty good, if a bit young to be a good fit for the voice actress, Jennifer Hale who's got a b too feisty a voice to make a perfect fit, but that is a different story.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
I want to vote red, but I still can't figure out how the heck I'm supposed to vote for this. I don't see a like button anywhere.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
RaNDM G said:
I want to vote red, but I still can't figure out how the heck I'm supposed to vote for this. I don't see a like button anywhere.
Same, but I think Red is going to win without our votes anyway.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
I hope so. Red has a 4,000 point lead, but you never know when that can change.

Arphaxon

Mar 11, 2010
I've always played with shepard a brunette, but the red hair suits the one they're giving us far better than any of the others.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
Zing said:
RaNDM G said:
There are two requisites.
1. You need to be on FB.
2. You need to like "Mass Effect 2"

Then you should be good.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Arphaxon said:
I've always played with shepard a brunette, but the red hair suits the one they're giving us far better than any of the others.
Agreed. Unfortunately the Shepard I created looks nothing like theirs at all.

Zeraiya

Jul 16, 2011
I'm actually very glad that someone has posted this topic on these forums because on facebook you can hardly effectively voice your opinion because within a matter of seconds you little post is swamped under a sea of 'OMG [haircolour X] IS THE BEST COLOUR EVER!!'.

I voted for the black/dark-haired Shepard because a) I found it to be the most appealing and b) I dislike how the redhaired Shepard was stereotypical.

I liked the redhead hair colour but the fact that they included freckles only for the redhead Shepard really angered me. It's not that I have anything against freckles or redhead with freckles, but I find it sad that because Shepard has to be a redhead therefore she *must* have freckles. It feels like they are enforcing the stereotyping that all redheads have freckles or that only redheads have freckles. If anything FemShep should defy stereotypes - which is why the change of haircolour from blonde is just fantastic - and red hair with freckles enforces stereotyping.

If the red hair colour gets chosen I hope we are given the option to choose if we want her to have freckles or not. That will feel far more fair.

And again, just to reiterate: I have nothing against freckles or the redhair/freckle combo. I just don't want to see yet another stereotype in a game.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Joos said:
Zing said:
RaNDM G said:
There are two requisites.
1. You need to be on FB.
2. You need to like "Mass Effect 2"

Then you should be good.
oh i hadn't liked ME2

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Red or black. I think they work best in terms of colour scheme.

Not fussed.

Both my Shepards use custom faces anyway.

EDIT:

Zeraiya said:
I liked the redhead hair colour but the fact that they included freckles only for the redhead Shepard really angered me. It's not that I have anything against freckles or redhead with freckles, but I find it sad that because Shepard has to be a redhead therefore she *must* have freckles. It feels like they are enforcing the stereotyping that all redheads have freckles or that only redheads have freckles. If anything FemShep should defy stereotypes - which is why the change of haircolour from blonde is just fantastic - and red hair with freckles enforces stereotyping.

If the red hair colour gets chosen I hope we are given the option to choose if we want her to have freckles or not. That will feel far more fair.

And again, just to reiterate: I have nothing against freckles or the redhair/freckle combo. I just don't want to see yet another stereotype in a game.
What on earth are you on about?

Red hair and freckles isn't a stereotype, it's a genetic reality. People with red hair tend to have pale skin, which in turn results in freckles. Calling it a stereotype is like saying that Asian people with black hair is a stereotype.

Daftmau5

Apr 6, 2011
Redhead Femshep is best Femshep. Just feels right.
Or maybe I'm just used to the default Femshep of ME2. Or maybe I have a thing for gingers.

Zeraiya

Jul 16, 2011
Zhukov said:

Not fussed.

EDIT:

Zeraiya said:

Red hair and freckles isn't a stereotype, it's a genetic reality. People with red hair tend to have pale skin, which in turn results in freckles. Calling it a stereotype is like saying that Asian people with black hair is a stereotype.
Not necessarily. I know a lot of people who have freckles and do not have red hair as well as (natural) redheads who do not have freckles. To be fair I do know redheads with freckles as well.

The stereotype obviously came from the large group of people who, genetically, have redhair and freckles, but I oppose the suggestion that only redheads have freckles. Why don't the other three Shepards have freckles? Why does the redhead only get to have freckles, or why must she?

BioWare are either trying to be genetically correct, or they are appealing to the stereotype that is seen in almost all media. I have a feeling it's the latter.

Also, I doubt anyone will be in the mood for the sea of immature 'gingers have no souls' jokes that are surely going to arise if redhaired FemShep emerges.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Zeraiya said:
Zhukov said:

Not fussed.

EDIT:

Zeraiya said:

Not necessarily. I know a lot of people who have freckles and do not have red hair as well as (natural) redheads who do not have freckles. To be fair I do know redheads with freckles as well.

The stereotype obviously came from the large group of people who, genetically, have redhair and freckles, but I oppose the suggestion that only redheads have freckles. Why don't the other three Shepards have freckles? Why does the redhead only get to have freckles, or why must she?

BioWare are either trying to be genetically correct, or they are appealing to the stereotype that is seen in almost all media. I have a feeling it's the latter.

Also, I doubt anyone will be in the mood for the sea of immature 'gingers have no souls' jokes that are surely going to arise if redhaired FemShep emerges.
I'm a non-redhaired freckled person and I don't really see a problem. I get what you're driving at, but I don't think it really matters that FemShep wouldn't have freckles if she has any color but red.

Honestly, do people really care this much about "default" FemShep. I mean, I'm happy her hair isn't going to be blonde (Just not a big fan of blonde personally), but she's still just the defaultShep, look at male defaultShep, he looks horrible. This doesn't have a mass effect on anyone's current FemSheps or anything...

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Well, I've always found brunettes more attractive than any other hair color, so I'm going to go with brown.

*takes second look at the 4 femsheps*

Oh, yea. Definitely brown.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
purple!

what there's no purple option, but I have purple hair!?!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Fucking red hair. Leave it to a bunch of nerds that think Felicia Day is even remotely attractive to click the fuck out of red. Anyway, go go brunette. Or black. Or blonde. Anything but red, really. Brunette or black would be preferable.
I fail to see the connection between nerds and red hair.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Zhukov said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Fucking red hair. Leave it to a bunch of nerds that think Felicia Day is even remotely attractive to click the fuck out of red. Anyway, go go brunette. Or black. Or blonde. Anything but red, really. Brunette or black would be preferable.
I fail to see the connection between nerds and red hair.
I was mainly making the connection between nerds and Felicia Day. Ever since her below average ass hit the internet, nerds have been yelling about that "hot" red head. Hence, the connection.
Well, I agree that Felicia Day is not as hot as she's me out to be, and she can't really sing either, Dr. Horrible be damned.

However, Red femshep is still ze hottest, no matter what you think of Felicia.