Poll: Final Fantasy X remake - do YOU hate it?

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
THEY'RE REMAKING FF10!?!?!?!?!? =D XD =D XD =D XD YOU JUST MADE MY DAY YOU BEAUTIFUL BEAST YOU!

Now that Ive calmed down a little... *cough*

Yes Im a little really really excited! Although a little curious as to why on earth they are remaking it since I dont see why it needs it? Id be more excited about a PS3 release for any FF between 6 and 9. FFX graphics still aren't bad for todays' standards (at least imo) and they were amazing for their own days' standards. The other 4 I mentioned are dire compared to the graphics of today and none of them even had spoken dialogue, so why not remake a game that could be "revived" more than FFX?

Having said all that, FFX is literally my favourite game of all time and so Im still excited ta f*ck X)

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I love Final Fantasy X, but I think that there are others that are due for a remake sooner....

If I were to play X now I don't think that it would feel particularly outdated compared to, say, IX. That said, X is probably the cheapest to do as they just need to make it 'HD'. Which leads me on to my other problem with it - it's probably just an HD remake like the Resident Evil games. I mean, as much as I love RE4, there was no point in me buying it on XBL as it's essentially the same as the Wii version, just a tiny bit smoother.

I'm not against this remake but I'll wait until I see some more screenshots or whatever before I get too excited.

I'd still love to see remakes of 6/7/8/9....or Kingdom Hearts 3.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Wait... so to remake FFVII would be too technically demanding, too much of a drain on resources etc, yet a remake of FFX (a standard post-FFVIII, weak as piss, franchise rapist of a game) is worth doing? Seriously Square Enix, take a breath mint or something, because you've clearly been talking Bullsh*t.

The Good Doctor

Mar 6, 2011
FFX was okay (at least, the battle system was), but the characters sucked and the game was way too linear. Also, the lack of leveling up pissed me off. I didn't absolutely hate the game, I just wish SE would spend their time and money on something more interesting. Like KH3. Or Versus XIII. Or FF Type-0. Or FFVII. Or FFVI.

...actually, I wish they would spend time/money on ANYTHING but FFX.

King Kupofried

Jan 19, 2010
RJ 17 said:
To your first point: actually, if you stand there or use anything but Omnislash, Sephiroth will take a swipe at you and kill you.
It's a day late, but I have to respond to this because it is just flat wrong follow-up to an argument that is pretty weak to begin with.
Sephiroth cannot kill you at the end, even if you do nothing. His sole attack deals percentage based damage (Similar to Demi without the gravity element), dealing most of your health, but never all; if, somehow, your health is too low, he will deal 0 damage to you. If allowed to be hit, Cloud will automatically counter-attack and slay Sephiroth (Who only has 1 HP).
This is commonly known
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sephiroth_(Final_Fantasy_VII_Boss)
In fact, Mods have been made for the exact reason of allowing Sephiroth to deal enough damage to Cloud in order to kill him (Because it is, you know, otherwise impossible).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSgDsUJqHU8
Note the video description.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
The only reason I'd even consider buying it is if it includes a Japanese language option, or else a whole new English dub.

The voice actors for Tidus and Yuna in the original dub were just...bad.

BenTheWolf

Dec 21, 2009
FFX really annoyed me the first time around. Played FFXII first and loved it so maybe that has something to do with it. Voice acting was horrible, story didn't really click with me and I HATED the whole no apparent enemies then screen explodes into random battle thing. I mean it's acceptable on a handheld but with a PS"'s processing power? On the other hand I guess many of the reasons I hated it were the same ones some poeple liked it for. In other news remakes are lazy when you can still buy the original withe ease and the PS2 is cheaper than some microwaves.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
BenTheWolf said:
FFX really annoyed me the first time around. Played FFXII first and loved it so maybe that has something to do with it. Voice acting was horrible, story didn't really click with me and I HATED the whole no apparent enemies then screen explodes into random battle thing. I mean it's acceptable on a handheld but with a PS"'s processing power? On the other hand I guess many of the reasons I hated it were the same ones some poeple liked it for. In other news remakes are lazy when you can still buy the original withe ease and the PS2 is cheaper than some microwaves.
but what if I don't want to buy a whole console for one game?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
pirateninj4 said:
Dude, I totally agree. I couldn't believe how easy Jecht was at the end, it was a flaming penis joke. I enjoyed the Blitzball tournaments more than I did the combat system also.
FFX was the 1st RPG I played since trying to play FFVI because I hate random battles. I went in thinking there'd be a learning curve since I had very little experience playing RPGs. FFX ended up being brain dead easy, I made Kimari into a mage without knowing how broken mages were at the time. I had 3 mages then (Lulu and Yuna as well) with double-cast doing 20,000 damage per turn, the game was so unbalanced.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
In my mind, Final Fantasies VI, VII, and X are not only some of the greatest games ever made, but three of the most complex and emotional stories yet told in interactive media. So I am certainly looking forward to the re-release of X.

Honestly, all this whining about remakes and re-releases annoys me. Look: it's important to remember the accomplishments of our past. Giving them a bit of a makeover and re-releasing them accomplishes that splendidly. This is not a sign of a lack of creativity, nor is it necessarily a cop-out, last-ditch attempt to make money. It is a legitimate and valuable thing to bring our old accomplishments to our attention once again, and to the attention of people who may be too young to have experienced it at the time.

That said, it has not been long enough for Final Fantasy X in comparison with the rest of the series. As much as I am excited to replay it in HD, the fact that they completely skipped over the entire PS1 era (which includes the one Final Fantasy game everyone wants remade) kind of pisses me off.

Creativephobia

Jan 20, 2012
If you read between the lines, there is a very good reason we continue to see only new games on next gen systems. Simply put, there is no way anything produced today can live up to the standards of expectation surrounding golden age games like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FF6. Now that they're remaking X, that theory doesn't hold as much water as it might otherwise. But what is really involved in a PS3 remake of a PS2 game?

It's hard to be sure just how Square plans to "remake" FFX, but it seems likely they chose this as their first experiment in re-texturing and putting a glossy new coating on a game that still uses most of the same polys and a modified engine. Not to sound excessively jaded, which I am, but the theory in business is generally to make the most money for the least amount of work. So it seems plausible that Square will forgo redesigning the combat system and anything else that requires extensive production time in favor of tweaking character models, spell effects, anything flashy, and slapping a new UI/menu screen on it.

Assuming that is the case, here's why I think Square fails to deliver in providing us with next-gen remakes of VII, VI, IV, or any of the other more dated FFs. Standards are much higher today, considering the industry is so much bigger. Old themes have been done and re-done, producing jaded gamers and reviewers alike (Hello world!) who cry when a game doesn't offer something new. On the other hand, there are the purists who want everything to stay as it was.

But the harsh reality is that these games weren't really as good as we remember them to be. Our fond memories of games like FF6 are because they were groundbreaking at the time, and we enjoyed them for what was being offered. That's not to say that they still weren't amazing games for their times, and still worth replay value even today. But games have evolved, and many of the amazing titles of yesterday would not be any more well received if offered up as a next-gen remake. In fact, they would probably do much worse.

See, X was the first in the series to feature voice acting. It was also the first in the series on the PS2 hardware, which gives its content a comparable standard to current gen modeling standards. This makes it optimal to work with while new textures and hardware do the majority of work in making a game designed for the PS3 look different from one designed for the PS2. So to choose FFX as the first title for a series of updated remakes isn't really surprising.

Also, much less was actually being offered in the older games (for the sake of argument, lets call this pre-FF8), at least as far as visuals and audio are concerned. Character development and story carried the games much more than they do today, and much more was left to the imagination. Part of the reason there's a fond nostalgia associated with 2D sprites is because there is room for interpretation and less harsh criticism of every pixel or design aesthetic chosen for Noel/Tidus' outfit. But FFX already has that sort of criticism associated with it, so Square isn't really going to be providing anything that can "ruin it" by changing the aesthetics of the game.

The bottom line is that people are opinionated and not afraid to voice their discontent regardless of whether the opinion actually has merit in deeming something a bad game. The more there is to criticize, the more chance there is that the community will fragment over something trivial: EG: Chocolina/Noel Pants/Tidus Voice/Quicktime Button Press Events.

Such is the way with the gaming industry now. These things weren't present to criticize back in 1994 (FFVI) because the technology wouldn't allow it. Not (entirely) because the team has changed since then.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
If it's simply an HD rerelease like so many other games on PS3, it's cool. If it's an actual remake made from scratch, I agree that's borderline trolling FFVII fans who've wanted a VII remake for years.
I don't particularly care about FFVII, but I think that if they must make a full remake of one FF, it's this one, if only because its presentation is just fucking awful by today's standards.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Sandytimeman said:
I HATE this game. Seriously, Tidus is an intolerable asshole >.> If the story had been from Yuna's perspective, I could probably fall in love with this game.

I mean, she is really the interesting character for me. A girl, who spent her entire life locked up in a temple and the only time she gets to see the world or live her life is during the journey to willingly sacrifice herself.

Instead I get a whinny Daddy's boy, that spends the entire game TELLING me it's his story and that you know he is an amazing underwater soccer player that gets sent to the future (I know the specifics of that but...I don't want to spoil). I HATE Tidus.
The Great JT said:
Final Fantasy X sucked and the remake will suck just as hard.
It depends on if it is a true remake (i.e. trimming fat, rewriting criticized dialogue, etc) or if it is just a graphics update with an HD coating. By no means do I think the game is perfect, but I thought it was a great game. I mean sure some parts were bad or not thought out well enough, but I am not going to condemn it. Sure I would remove Titus from the game if I could, but I thought the mechanics and story were really well thought out(and oh my goddess did I love blitzball). The game was fun, and I would play a remake if it wasn't just a graphics update.

Phaerim

Sep 15, 2010
Why try to make a really good game better? Graphics was pretty good. I do not see a need for it to be remade.

Final Fantasy 7 on the other hand...

theskadudeguy

Nov 19, 2010
personally I wish they would just pump the resources they were putting in to making remakes into making a decent FFXV. The reason FFXIII was so bad was because they are being to retrospective

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Hell, if they completely re-voice the thing, I may just give it another shot. The combat, stats and map design seemed solid (or at least as solid as 7 8 and 9, which were... passable... in terms of map design), but I couldn't get past the horribad voice acting and the worst goddamn minigame in Final Fantasy history (in my opinion. I know some people loved blitzball... I utterly loathe it).

Personally, I think skipping a VI remake/reskin is a fucking travesty. The IV DS remake was awesome.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I don't hate Final Fantasy X, but I didn't particularly like it either. I won't buy the remake/upgrade. Hopefully they'll give XII the same treatment, I'd be interested in that.