Poll: Final Fantasy X remake - do YOU hate it?

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
after just replaying VII, i can say that it will be way easier to upscale X than completely redo VII from scratch. you know the static backdrops in VII? every single one of them needs to be redone - as in rendered from the ground up. how about animations in that now rendered background? do you keep the static camera? or do you allow cloud to look around, meaning even more effort on rendering.

even if SE decides to reskin everyone and thing in X, i doubt they will have to redesign anything, just use higher textures, versus completely redesigning everyone and thing in VII (even though they kinda already did with the various other games and Advent Children).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
omega 616 said:
AcidKnight said:
Seriously the only reason people hate the remake of FFX is 'cos all FF players are crying they aren't getting FF7 remade. It seems the vast majority of FF gamers adore the ever loving hell out of that game and wont shut up about it not being remade.

I have never seen such love for a game, seriously! I started playing it and just couldn't force myself to get very far (I am up to some part where I have to make Cloud cross dress for some reason) and all the while I am thinking "this is THE FF game? Why?". A lot of people have said it gets better at some point but people complained about FF13 taking 20 hours to get good and apparently 7 is better than 13, so shouldn't it be good from get go?

Hey, if you love the game then fair enough, just hush down a little bit ... I want MGS1 remade with 2 and 3 but I am not all up in arms about it.

More on topic and less ranty. I love FFX and can't wait to get it for my PS3, I already have it for PS2 and I own a BC PS3 so I can play it but I really want to see it remade.
Personally I say before Square-Enix remakes ANY FF game they should first try making another GOOD one. But this is ccming from someone who hasn't liked the series since FF 9 (my only real complaint about 8 was that it's too easy). 9 was too childish and cartoony for my tastes, so like you with 7: I didn't even finish it. 10 had many problems which I've already mentioned in previous posts (the biggest one being the fact that it's impossible to lose the fight against the main boss unless you kill your own party twice), and 10-2 was a game I rented and took back 2 hours later...that was the official death of the FF franchise in my eyes, and I haven't played another one since. Though from what I've seen in trailers, things are getting worse far faster than they're getting better...so it really doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
While I am sick of remakes in general. I really want this to get released.
As I find FFX very nice (except Tidus, I hate him) but I can't buy it anywhere, so I got to borrow my brother's copy. So my own copy would be nice :)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'd only be interested in it if the remake also included Final Fantasy X-2 International.

Because, really, there's nothing wrong with the original PS2 version... except for the shoddy PAL-porting.

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
Let me guess, they are polishing up the graphics on a game that dumped everything into graphics in the first place. The combat system will still be generic. The plot will be juvenile, the characters undeveloped, their interactions forced. Titus will still be nothing more than an emo ghost with daddy issues. Cutscenes will continue to be forced upon you. There will not be a world map, just one way corridors with different backgrounds.

The grid system will continue to be used even though it is inferior to a leveling system. The best items can only be acquired through tedious and mindless minigames. The big bad will be laughably easy. I will not relate to a single character. The romance angle will continue to be forced and awkward. All minorities will be stereotypes or caricatures. Blitzball will continue to be the best part of the game even though it isn't that good to begin with.

The mythology will continue to make little or no sense. The plot will contradict itself. The voice acting will be awful. It will continue to be the point in which I lost all respect for Square Enix and mark the end of my favorite video game series.

Yay, I can't wait to play it.

I started with Final Fantasy. It was flawed but a great game. FF2/4 is still my favorite game, only FF6, Crono Trigger, FF Tactics and Xenogears hold a torch to it in my eyes. I was a FF nerd like some people are Star Wars nerds. I didn't care for 7 all that much, and 8 got weird after the orphanage, but 10 and 10.2 were like Phantom Menace for me. Everything the company has done since has been utter shit. They killed Tactics by ripping off "The Never Ending Story" poorly. They gave up on the Crono line. They sold off the Xeno line and didn't allow Namco to use the core mythos. The last Star Ocean game made me want to bleach my mind, especially the pederast parts. Dragon Quest strayed away from a formula that worked for 20 years. None of their new property is any good.

Square Enix is to video games what George Lucas is to movies.

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
Someone said on Escapist that they will never remake FF7, but something seems very wrong if Square Enix is willing to remake 1-6, skip the Playstation ones, then remake the rest. Especially 7, their most hyped one yet. If a semi-accurate NES demake of 7 can exist, with their massive millions, Square Enix really should be able to remake some of the Final Fantasy games from scratch.

When it comes to a FFX remake, it feels like a slap in the face to skip 7-9, when the previous games have all been re(rere)released. And I won't be buying this remake because I didn't like the original release.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Phlakes said:
Hey, guys. You what some people who have a PS3 didn't have? A PS2. So unless you'd rather keep them from having the opportunity to play the game, don't criticize it for being a rehash/cash in.
So lets break down your argument: You never played FFX. You never owned a PS2. You'll gladly buy a $50-60 port but will not buy a $50 console. Because you will not buy a console you don't own, yet wish to play games on, all games for that console warrant a port. Anyone who criticizes the porting of the game just wants to deprive people of playing the game.

Ya know what, if people are stupid enough to shell out money for a port of a game cause they, for some reason, refuse to buy a last-gen platform that they actually want to play games on, you're right, I don't want them playing the game.

This isn't an HD remake of Earthbound or Secret of Mana, christ, this is a game you can get on Amazon, brand new, for $20 on a console you can get on Amazon, like-new, for $50. If it was confirmed, in any way, that it was an expanded version in any fashion except MAYBE a little more graphic shine, I'd drop most of my criticism, but that is still totally up in the air. But I guess 2005 PS2 graphics over 2002 PS2 graphics is worth $50+ with the the gaming audience these days having a bird-like response to shiny objects.

But hey, encourage this behavior, and next thing we know we'll all be lucky enough to be able to repurchase our entire game libraries every 10 years. That's way cheaper than buying an old console, right?

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
FFX is probably my favorite Final Fantasy. I thought it was great, but it does seem a bit soon for a remake. It came out, what, 10 years ago? It's probably going to just be an HD port, not really a remake. Those are nice, I love my Ico/Shadow HD version, but it seems pointless for FFX. With Ico/Shadow, lots of people didn't play it. Huge critical acclaim but lackluster sales. This allowed lots of people to go back and see what they missed. I could never find a copy of Ico that worked on my PS2, so I was happy for it. But FFX? Everyone played it, some not that long ago really. I still remember the whole game. Not sure if I'll pick up the remake. I'd prefer to wait another 5-10 years before revisiting it. Wish the poll had an option in the middle, haha.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
DarkSoldier84 said:
This is the first I've heard of a Final Fantasy X remake. Seriously? The game's barely ten years old.
It's not a full remake as far as anyone knows--just an HD upgrade with a few extra bells and whistles thrown in to celebrate its 10th anniversary.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Sylveria said:
Phlakes said:
Hey, guys. You what some people who have a PS3 didn't have? A PS2. So unless you'd rather keep them from having the opportunity to play the game, don't criticize it for being a rehash/cash in.
So lets break down your argument: You never played FFX. You never owned a PS2. You'll gladly buy a $50-60 port but will not buy a $50 console. Because you will not buy a console you don't own, yet wish to play games on, all games for that console warrant a port. Anyone who criticizes the porting of the game just wants to deprive people of playing the game.

Ya know what, if people are stupid enough to shell out money for a port of a game cause they, for some reason, refuse to buy a last-gen platform that they actually want to play games on, you're right, I don't want them playing the game.

This isn't an HD remake of Earthbound or Secret of Mana, christ, this is a game you can get on Amazon, brand new, for $20 on a console you can get on Amazon, like-new, for $50. If it was confirmed, in any way, that it was an expanded version in any fashion except MAYBE a little more graphic shine, I'd drop most of my criticism, but that is still totally up in the air. But I guess 2005 PS2 graphics over 2002 PS2 graphics is worth $50+ with the the gaming audience these days having a bird-like response to shiny objects.

But hey, encourage this behavior, and next thing we know we'll all be lucky enough to be able to repurchase our entire game libraries every 10 years. That's way cheaper than buying an old console, right?
so he should buy a whole system for one game?

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
Solo-Wing said:
I liked FFX. But there are so many other Final Fantasies worthy of a remake. Like FF7. Square is just being thick when they would rather Remake X then VII. Or IX. Or VI....

[snip]
Are you aware of the GBA remake?

skotconcarne

May 4, 2011
I know I will get hate mail for this but... It's a wonder how many times people will buy the same game over again. Final Fantasy is proof that a fool and his money will soon be parted. Every time they launch another FF title I am barraged with how "new" and "innovative" it is even though the story is the same, the characters are cliche, and there are more tropes-per-minute then even the worst 70's B flicks. Everyone seemed to hate Duke Nukem Forever because it didn't fall in line with the current ideal we have for video games yet Square Enix seems to be rewarded for taking the same game and giving it a fresh coat of paint. We collectively lampoon Madden and Call of Duty for putting out the same game every year yet miss the point when it comes to Final Fantasy, why is this?

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
I... I really don't know.
On one hand, I still have a perfectly functional copy of the original and a ps2. I also finished it at least 3 times and don't have a ps3. So if it is only a graphics update it's absolutely not worth getting a ps3 for.
On the other hand I really can't think of anything significant I'd want them to add/change about it. In fact, the last thing I'd want them to do is start retconning stuff Lucas-style.

I don't think it's a waste of time though, if nothing else it'll get square enix back in touch with final fantasy at it's best /flameshield.

BTW has this puppy got a release date yet? Or is it another one of square enix's notorious ploys where they announce the second coming of christ, and than for the next 4 years all they release is a 3 minute sneak peak.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
To be honest, I'd rather have Xenogears or Vagrant Story. Both were great games, and Xenogears had a half-assed disc 2 that deserved to be fleshed out.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm, first I have heard about this. Is this actually official?

I really liked FFX, save for a few obviously annoying parts. But to this day I keep "Other world" on any MP3 player I carry with me because I still fondly remember the feeling of shock and awe...some I had when I first saw the Blitzball intro and thought to myself "My god, they have finally made a bad ass final fantasy!!!! /SQUEEEEEE

Granted there was quite a substantial letdown from that point, but the song still can send shivers down my spine when I hear it. So yes, Really did like MOST of FFX.

However, this feels insanely wrong to me. Now if it is a simple resolution increase along with proper 1080 support much like the ICO Anthology, I guess I have no problem with it. If its a true honest to god remake with completely new assets and higher poly counts, then even with the prospect of an even more lifelike LuLu /drool Id still have to say defiantly NO! as well as "WHY!!"

(although you could make an argument for a 10 year anniversary edition, but by that logic you could make the same argument for FF7 and a 15 year anniversary edition)

I can get why they wont redo FF7. Too many people want it, but its the same kind of people if they were to get it, they would revolt over it. But bypassing FF3(snes), FF8, FF9 to revisit 10 is a horrible, horrible idea. Seriously between 3us, 7,8,9 you likely have 3/4ths of what the fanbase of Final fantasy, refers to as their number 1 all time favorite in the franchise history. Skipping over 5 installments of the franchise over what has been remade thus far (3, & 2(snes= 4)most notably with 5 being highly speculated for possible 3ds development) it seems insane to bypass all that history that fans are downright dying for. I myself would flip my lid for a fully updated and overhauled remake of FF9 (and do something to fix like the last 10+ hours of the game/story) So, again, categorically, emphantically, No, simply No.

1080 update? sure, Full overhaul, absolutely not.. the graphics still hold up today well enough and any of the PSX installments are in infinitely greater need.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Yes and as a reminder - there's an aeon or something you have to do or get early on in one of the temples and if you don't you won't be able to get all the aeons later

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
gyroc1 said:
Solo-Wing said:
I liked FFX. But there are so many other Final Fantasies worthy of a remake. Like FF7. Square is just being thick when they would rather Remake X then VII. Or IX. Or VI....

[snip]
Are you aware of the GBA remake?
That was more of a Port then a actual remake.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Will not be buying it, as I no longer play my PS3, but FFX was a great game and I'm all for giving great games graphical make-overs.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
It's not an HD release but a full on remake? I'm gonna say its a huge waste of time. Not because I hated the game, nor because I'm not a big FF guy in general, but because I can play final fantasy X and even by today's graphical standards say "this doesn't look like shit."

Final fantasy 7? Come on look at this

It doesn't matter how good you say it is, you are never going to convince anybody who started gaming this or last generation to go back and play a 30 hour game that looks like this. I never finished it as a kid and even I don't want to go back and play a 30 hour game that looks like this. That's what warrants a remake. HD rereleases of games are fine by me in any case though. Anybody whos ever tried to play a standard definition game on a 40+ inch HDTV can tell you that it just looks like a fuckin' mess because of the amount the low resolution and mismatched aspect is magnified.