Poll: First 'Gameplay' Prey 2 Trailer is Out

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
So, first gameplay trailer is out, though to call it a 'Gameplay' is a stretch. In-game engine trailer perhaps.

Prey is a first-person sci-fi action game from Arkane Studios, the award-winning creators of the 2012 ?Game of the Year?, Dishonored. Known for their creative gameplay, distinctive worlds and immersive stories, Arkane reimagines this franchise from the ground up, with an added psychological twist. In Prey, you are the first human enhanced with alien powers aboard a desolate space station under assault. Improvise and innovate in order to survive as you search for answers. Prey is a bold new story set in a dangerous universe.
Looks visually impressive, but... boring. Absolutely, entirely boring. I never got around to playing the first Prey, but all I ever heard was, however bad some of the mechanics were, it was interesting. Native American abducted by aliens. It sure sounds fun. But this thing... this thing looks absolutely, completely generic. Standard setting (Space Station). Standard weapons (So far). And bog standard oil monster enemies. Lord.

Of course, as with the previous trailer, there really isn't much to go on. But they marketed this as a gameplay trailer, an in game representation of what the games going to be, so lets give it the benefit of the doubt and treat it as such.

So, what does everyone think? Obviously there's more to come, but is this something that makes you want to know more, or something that fills you with eh? Comments?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I'm very much impressed by it. It's far from generic we need more Hybrid FPS/RPG. It's closest thing to system shock this gen.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Oh, so its a shooter now? Sure didn't seem like it from the E3 trailer. Though that was a long time ago and I didn't really care about it then.

Which carries over to now, as you said, not much of a gameplay trailer.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I like the animation designs of the enemies. We shall see if it can be as sci-fi horror as it makes out to be. Personally I haven't had my fill of space station/future alien horror since dead space 2. So am crossing fingers that this may fill that void. Maybe I am easily curiositised, but it makes me incredibly curious.

SOMA doesn't count btw.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
If they can pull it off as a sci-fi horror where you aren't completely defenseless, but aren't a total Rambo either, like System Shock or Dead Space then I'm all for it. But as it stands, the trailer isn't that much to go off. Will just keep my hopes up for now.

I really enjoyed Alien Isolation, but that grew old after awhile. Despite some of the best graphics and environments I've ever seen in a space station horror, it dragged on for way too long for the style of gameplay that it was.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
So, being in the same first-person perspective is all it takes to be a sequel now. I mean, I was going to say they both had guns too, but no, Prey didn't have guns, not like these.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
B-Cell said:
I'm very much impressed by it. It's far from generic we need more Hybrid FPS/RPG. It's closest thing to system shock this gen.
You got hybrid fps/RPG from that? Where in that video b do you see rpg elements?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Signa said:
So, being in the same first-person perspective is all it takes to be a sequel now. I mean, I was going to say they both had guns too, but no, Prey didn't have guns, not like these.
I don't know why everyone is calling it Prey 2 when it's not being marketed that way.

OT: Looks interesting. I quite like the enemy design. Hopefully it doesn't end up being another generic scifi horror.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Here's my problem. However good this game ends up being, it has to be better then Open World Cyber-Punk Alien Bounty Hunter: The Game. That's what we were originally promised and that's sure as hell not what we're getting now.

On it's own merits I'd like the look of it, and I love the prospect of Arkane doing something sci-fi, but I can't escape the fact that I'd probably be much more intrigued if it was it's own IP. I mean, the original pitch for Prey 2 had a tenuous at best connection to the original but at least it was trying to. And at least it wasn't set up to replace anything.

All that calling this one Prey does is remind us that we aren't getting a thing I'd very much like to have for no adequately explained reason whatsoever, and there's just no reason why what's ostensibly a new game should be set up to have THAT much to prove. Bethesda has been doing some truly great work as a publisher the last few years but they really, really dropped the ball on this one.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, let's assume that we all learned a lesson from Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Wait for the game to come out because you can't trust advertising.

(Although the story looks interesting, but I wonder why it's a prey game instead of something new.)

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...well, competent shooter against shadow monsters isn't as interesting as Space Bounty Hunter, but I'll give it some time to make my final judgements until there's a little more than 3 seconds of 'gameplay' available.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Those small spidery things remind me of the Fast Headcrabs from HL2 ... ... please let there not be a Poison Headcrab analog in this game...

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I'm getting more of a Bioshock in space feel then a Prey feel.

As I've said previously I want weird gravity shenanigans, portals in boxes, organic weaponry, spirit form and an explanation about where the kid ghosts come from.

Whilst this looks good and I like the look of the monsters, I can't think of this as anything to do with Prey so why not use a license that most people wouldn't remember or care about?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Dr. McD said:
B-Cell said:
They didn't show even a shred of evidence of RPG elements anywhere. Judging by the fact there's not even a HUD it's probably just CoD with aliens for all we know. They said something about alien powers but for all know "powers" includes various things that are nowhere near as useful as simply shooting the enemy, or perks that allow you to regenerate health slightly faster.

AccursedTheory said:
Looks visually impressive, but... boring. Absolutely, entirely boring. I never got around to playing the first Prey, but all I ever heard was, however bad some of the mechanics were, it was interesting. Native American abducted by aliens. It sure sounds fun. But this thing... this thing looks absolutely, completely generic. Standard setting (Space Station). Standard weapons (So far). And bog standard oil monster enemies. Lord.

Of course, as with the previous trailer, there really isn't much to go on. But they marketed this as a gameplay trailer, an in game representation of what the games going to be, so lets give it the benefit of the doubt and treat it as such.

So, what does everyone think? Obviously there's more to come, but is this something that makes you want to know more, or something that fills you with eh? Comments?
Same as you, there's maybe 2 seconds of gameplay shown in the trailer altogether, so it's not really a gameplay trailer, the monsters are completely generic, and so is the story.

The environments look nice and liveable, like people actually live and work there unlike say, Dead Space. But that's not really enough for me to consider as anything but something to buy when it's $15 instead of $60, if even that.
acording to this tweet

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry

"Prey 2 has a lot of RPG elements and deep talent trees. Was not expecting that. "

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So...the Shadows came to an Earth space station in the 21st century rather than the 23rd? 0_0

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meh.

Shooting looks standard.

Enemies look dull.

Not enough to judge on story.

I remain decidedly unimpressed.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I got fuck all out of that!

The only parts I liked was the disappearing light and the big creep at the end (and I'm kinda interested to know what he's talking about). Everything else seems pretty standard though, but I'll wait.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Oh god. The enemies like they're from that shitty-looking XCOM game.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Mike Richards said:
Here's my problem. However good this game ends up being, it has to be better then Open World Cyber-Punk Alien Bounty Hunter: The Game. That's what we were originally promised and that's sure as hell not what we're getting now.

On it's own merits I'd like the look of it, and I love the prospect of Arkane doing something sci-fi, but I can't escape the fact that I'd probably be much more intrigued if it was it's own IP. I mean, the original pitch for Prey 2 had a tenuous at best connection to the original but at least it was trying to. And at least it wasn't set up to replace anything.

All that calling this one Prey does is remind us that we aren't getting a thing I'd very much like to have for no adequately explained reason whatsoever, and there's just no reason why what's ostensibly a new game should be set up to have THAT much to prove. Bethesda has been doing some truly great work as a publisher the last few years but they really, really dropped the ball on this one.
My thoughts exactly. Bethesda is trying to use the Prey name as a selling point to avoid the risk associated with new a new IP, but in doing so are just calling attention to how much this game is notPrey. If they had called it something else I'd be much more excited. As you said, all this so-so trailer does is remind me of what could have been.