Poll: Flawlwss Victory: Can you think of a game that is perfect?

The Cap

Aug 14, 2011
im going to say three games, that i consider perfect, spent to much time on, and probably arent perfect for anybody else.

1) Empire Total War. lots of people hate it and the buggy gitty nature of it, but i love it and you wont change that, dont even try...

2) European Air War. people say it is monotous and boring and the graphics arent great, but turn off all the assists, plug in a joystick and shoot the fuck out of some germans

3) Call of Duty 1. AWESOMMMMMMMMMMMMMME. If god had a pair of favourite pants and always wore this lucky pants for every major event in his omnipotent lifestyle, like diety cocktail parties etc, and these lucky pants were used a similie for a computer game, it would be this game

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Suki_ said:
Yea easily its called Dark Souls.
I know it's your opinion and perfection is entirely subjective. But Dark Souls has some pretty heavy fps drops in some areas, so it's not really perfect. But definitely a great game.

OT: No. Everything has flaws no matter how minor. I wouldn't even say that about my favourite game of all time, Morrowind, I love it, but I'm not blinded by how much I love it, I can certainly see it's flaws.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Persona 4, it is literally perfect in every single way. I never understood why people say "nothing is perfect" surely something, somewhere, sometime must have been completely perfect.

Personally that thing is Persona 4. I have never seriously called something perfect before. I'm not even nostalgia blinded! I was 18 when I played it for the first time.

Yes nobody is perfect but something can be perfect

I can only assume it's a religious thing. Only God is perfect right? So those old painters used to intentionally scratch their work slightly to make it not "perfect." Does that translate over if you don't believe in said deity?

This is why I don't visit the R&P forums...

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Allthingsspectacular said:
Journey, definitely.

There is not a thing the game could do to make it better.
Letting none PS3 owners experience it could make it better.

Anyway...

The game I think is closest to perfection would probably be Shadow of the Colossus. I didn't like the game as much other people did... however, I didn't notice many flaws and I think it's deserving of a redonculous amount of praise.

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
For me I guess the closest to perfect were the following:

Deus Ex: Why? Because I love Cyberpunk (and steampunk, maybe just the word punk?)and I love stealth gameplay. Deus Ex was ugly ever at time of release but graphic have no baring on how much I enjoy games, it is all plot baby plot! I found Deus Ex to be a game I go back to over and over again.

System Shock 2: Yeah, I'm noticing a trend here too. But before I even knew that the internet made lists of best games ever or whatever I love System Shock 2. Played the hell out of it, still load it up on an older computer I keep stashed just for that, no need to play around with settings that way.

Fallout 2: I loved Fallout but it felt a little smallish, with Fallout 2 I roamed all over did all sorts of things and generally loved the writing enough that I quote it to this day.

Fallout New Vegas: Likely going to get flak for this but I didn't like Fallout 3 much, I mean I played it and have recently started playing it again but New Vegas just felt more Fallout to me...if that make sense at all?

So there those are my closest to perfect games without being there, since I have yet to find a game that is perfect.

The thread didn't say favorite games just once I felt were perfect and I listed the ones I felt got closest to perfect in my own opinion. Never played a perfect game, likely never will. Although oddly only one of my favorite games ended up on this list, maybe I just like imperfect models.

Runners up include: Mass Effect 2, the first two Monkey Island games and the Space Quest series. Would have put Chrono Trigger or FF VI on here but I find myself less included to replay them these days.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
nyarlathotepsama said:
Fallout 2: I loved Fallout but it felt a little smallish, with Fallout 2 I roamed all over did all sorts of things and generally loved the writing enough that I quote it to this day.

Fallout New Vegas: Likely going to get flak for this but I didn't like Fallout 3 much, I mean I played it and have recently started playing it again but New Vegas just felt more Fallout to me...if that make sense at all?
While I don't exactly agree with you on New Vegas being /perfect/, it defently was more Fallout than Fallout 3 was, mainly because it had more of the original team from FO1/2 working on it, plus the wild wasteland perk added in all the silly things along the lines of stuff that would pop in in FO1/2 (ala the monty python bridge keeper, the tardis, etc). Fallout 3 was far too serious, and while yeah, Fallout is a grim dark world, it should have silly things going on every now and then, to fit in with the retro science fiction theme they have going.

Personally I'll have to go with Portal, I still haven't played Portal 2 yet, so can't comment on that and while I'm sure there must have been issues with Portal, I can't for the life of me think of any, not even little niggles. So yeah, Portal is the closest thing I can think of for a perfect game. As has already been said, it taught you how to play perfectly without ever feeling like a tutorial, had a great story and atmosphere, looked great, played great, and was just the right length.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
There are lots of games I would never change others I would if I could.

But I think the perfect games are the ones that are simple with only a few game-play elements that are easy to fix and make more or less perfect with little to no issues Tetris and snake for example, they are what they are, they have simple mechanics with a good level of challenge without changing anything mechanically in the mean time. You can play them again and again and your game will always be different and will thay fun for a long time...longer if some random person comes along and kills your high score and then the game is on again.

There are tones of other examples of these sorts of games mostly either old and small, large games usually get too complex but there are some of them aswell.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
For me at the time; the perfect game was Half Life. It was nearly everything I wanted in a game, easy shooter, nice platforming & puzzle elements, light tension, cool story, good game play.

The time it game out, it was the game I wanted to play and I've either ignored all the flaws, or just wasn't jaded enough to give a damn.

Skyrim was close, but just the numerous bugs and the barren world between towns just limited the appeal. I still put in 400+ hours over 3 characters...

The most recent game I'm like that 1% away from calling perfect is Dragons Dogma. That 1% is sometimes the verbosity of the pawns. If I didn't have to yell out "omg.. I KNOW, we just did that quest!!" and "FIND A NEW LINE TO SAY BEFORE A GUT YOU RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!..." I would easily call Dragons Dogma perfect. I never did try to invest into the story because I filled that to the Bat Shit Crazy Japanese Story folder and enjoyed the game for the mechanics and the at the moment story line, rather then the total overall arching plot story line -- but I still blame ME2-3 for ruining that aspect in me for the next couple of months.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Majora's Mask FTW... Though its not "perfect." I guess its like comparing a saint to God, or Physics to Math. Particular perfection though not strictly speaking perfect. Also Portal and OoT and Metroid Prime. Then there's my category of amazing but not perfect.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Probably Shadow of the Colossus. I really can't think of any real issues the game has and I also can't think of anything to improve it. So I guess that makes it perfect to me.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
I don't think any game is wholly perfect, but a lot of games reach perfection in certain aspects. Such as...

-Portal: The storytelling and pacing is flawless. You never feel like it's dragging on, and even for having such a short story is just works. The writing for GLaDOS is superb, and I can't think of a single flaw in her dialogue.

-Shadow of the Colossus: The level design here is flawless. I don't believe that there was any moment in the game where I wasn't in awe of the beauty present in the game. Everything feels like it belongs exactly where you find it.

-Dark Souls: Lore. THIS is how you make a backstory within a game. It's so rich in content and a lot of it is free to player interpretation. Everything from the areas to the placement of items and monsters feels like they have a reason for being there. The fact that people have made hours of analysis into the backstory is a testament to this.

-Chrono Trigger: Time travel actually done right. 'Nough said.

-Golden Sun-The Lost Age: FF may have its magicite and materia, but I've always felt that Djinni made for the best customization in an RPG. The ability to freely swap them and alter your class, status, and psynergy was amazing. Once you get all 72 by the end of TLA you have a ridiculous number of choices for class set-ups.

These are just the games off the top of my head. I know that I've probably played others that have qualities that I consider 'perfect', but they just aren't coming to me right now.

Delta-1138

Oct 22, 2008
ronald1840 said:
The first BioShock, which I do love, jumped it's goals around of what the protagonist was supposed to be doing. I'll try not to spoil it. First, you crash in the middle of the ocean, enter a strange lighthouse above a destroyed city underwater and it's simple, help a man find his family and maybe he'll help you. But then that plan flops and this dude wants revenge now!

"Okay... sure, but, you're still gonna get me out of here, right?"

"Don't worry, the surface is waitin' fer us, but we can't let this go. My family, we'll make him pay!"

Escape. Revenge. Twist. Revenge again. Then. Finality. BioShock is stronger in some parts and it's sequel is more involved in others, but as a whole this small and loving story sticks with me more.
This actually made me rage at the screen; I wish no offence but you have utterly missed the point of what BioShock was and part of the reason it was so fantastic.
Bioshock is a deconstruction of the contrived you-will-do-this-because-the-game-says-so mechanics that pretty much every game before it had used. When you discover that
you have been programmed to obey at the words "would you kindly"
it explains why your objectives were so confusing, and why your objective as a character weren't simply to hightail the fuck out of that underwater dystopia.
A man chooses; a slave obeys.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Crysis is not perfect. The Singleplayer story was unimaginative and cliche. The fact they added a single player means it is to be judged solely on its singleplayer, and even if it weren't and we added the multiplayer, we'd be judging both and they both have huge problems.

No game in existence is a 10 and no game in existence should ever be a 10, for a 10 will mean no one else will ever play anything else ever again. You make a 10 Puzzle game, well that's the best ultra replayable puzzle game ever, no one wants to play anything else. Same for RPG's and all other genres.

NO 10's EVER, anyone who thinks they know what a 10 is DOES NOT because if they knew it EVERYONE would agree, it would be the single game that got non gamers to play games, because it was PERFECT.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Perfection in a videogame is impossible, because man, who makes them, is imperfect.

But holy crap are some games close.

For me, it'd have to Batman: Arkham City, LittleBigPlanet 2, and Valkyria Chronicles (all on the PS3), Muramasa: The Demon Blade and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (both on the Wii), and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (on the DS).

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Reyold said:
Perfection in a videogame is impossible, because man, who makes them, is imperfect.

But holy crap are some games close.

For me, it'd have to Batman: Arkham City, LittleBigPlanet 2, and Valkyria Chronicles (all on the PS3), Muramasa: The Demon Blade and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (both on the Wii), and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (on the DS).
Valkyria Chronicles had SO MANY problems and I truly mean SO MANY PROBLEMS, that it seriously on its own, even outside of the lack luster story and mechanics, nearly made me sell my PS3.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I went with the second option, even though "stopwasting" isn't a word; that some of you seriously think otherwise means you've played an entire game without getting irritated or miffed about something, and wouldn't seriously change a single thing, and that, my friends, is bullcrap, and you know it. Every damned thing I enjoy in this world has something that makes me want to push it off a balcony, but what makes a thing truly good is not that it's perfect (because it isn't, don't be ridiculous), but that we like it in spite of the things that make us want to push them to their deaths.

Alright, so maybe murder isn't on everyone else's mind when it comes to horrible slights such as irritating them slightly, but you get what I mean.

Buretsu said:
Yes, the music... Mother of god, the horrible, impossible to understand Engrish rapping...
Ha. Well played, sir.

No, seriously, Persona 3 and 4's soundtracks can be pushed off every balcony in the world and it wouldn't be enough, I don't care what you people say. Ugh.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Tetris, 1989 edition. I played it when I first got a GameBoy in, say, 1994? And I still play it today. It runs perfectly smoothly and never bugs out. The game loads up within about 5-10 seconds. The music is fantastic, and so memorable.

Just perfect.