Poll: Flawlwss Victory: Can you think of a game that is perfect?

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Icehearted said:
gunny1993 said:
Icehearted said:
gunny1993 said:
Perfection is impossible, hence nothing is perfect.
I think it comes down to being perfect at what it does, not at everything. In this regard there are perfect games out there, though the merit of it's enjoyment will be subjective 100% of the time.

I would say that Ultima 7 collection is perfect. It does everything it's supposed to, and for it's time rather beautifully. Wipeout XL, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Point Blank (with Guncon), and Yoshi's Island were also examples of perfection according to the criteria I've specified (though again, the "fun" equation is subjective).

You may not agree, but I feel your outlook is narrow, and making such dogmatically blanket statements like that dismisses the possibility of what is otherwise very possible for even you.
I can still think a game is amazing even to be almost perfect, but to me perfect means absolutely nothing can be improved; since I believe that to think something cannot be improved is to be naive and even foolish I will never see anything as perfect.

I apply this philosophy to any one part of anything (be it the pacing of a story, the way the characters work together or something else.)

A nice analogy of this is a proton trying to reach the speed of light.
I would think mathematics/science and entertainment are mutually exclusive. A video game is more complex than that, and much more subjective.

I just think overall perfection rather than perfect at what it attempts to do are not the same. I'm sure we'll agree to disagree on this, which of course is fine.

To frame it as you have, I would look at it like a well made very tasty cookie. Not perfect food, but for what it is it's perfect.
lol yeah I am a bit (very) dogmatic on this issue to the point of insanity, it's just a point of semantics I have. Only game i would say that has come anywhere near to "Perfection" would be HL:2 and Kotor. (I've discounted a lot of games because i feel my nostalgia has tainted them)

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
"Of course not. No game has combined bacon, titties, and Bruce Lee."

However, if Bruce Lee is unavailable for your game, Chuck Norris will suffice.

In fact, Chuck Norris = perfection

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
I can think of two games that come mighty close.
Planescape Torment.
Chronotrigger.

If anyone hasn't played these games, they should give them a shot, they may fall in love with them as I did, and most of my friends have, and most people I know who've played them have.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
There is no perfect game. On top of that, as a developer saying that I wouldn't change anything to improve it is a sign of giving up and being lazy. There is always something more you can do to improve things. If I'm not thinking of how I would improve a game and what is wrong and needs fixing, then I'm being a slacker. Just ask the development team how many things they wanted to do but never got around to. You'd be shocked.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Fightgarr said:
Nope. Haven't played one. Every game, even my favorite games, are far from perfect. If I can find a single thing to complain about then by definition it is no longer perfect. I can always find something to complain about. Perfection is a funny concept, and that we strive for it strikes me as odd. Of course it won't be perfect, instead of perfect can we just remain content with excellence?
Of course. I don't expect ANY game to be perfect however I do like it when a dev team tries. Those games that feel perfect while you're playing but when you come up for air... I at least always find something that I'm critical of.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
No such thing as a perfect game. I could name my favorites, ones that "oh, if they had just done (x, y, and z), I'd consider them a flawless gem," but really, this will never happen.

Chrono Trigger was amazing...but the characters were designed by that DBZ guy and looked like ass; they still haven't gotten over the "wussy healer archer female" trope, and due to the era, the graphics are horrible and the music isn't as amazing as it could be. And they didn't add voice acting in the remake. (Shut up I like voice acting. >< )

Metal Gear Solid 3 was impressively close...but some of the cutscenes were a little long, and I was sad that they gave you so many huge kill weapons when the point of the game was stealth. And you shouldn't have been able to swap camo instantly. Normal Mode is also too easy; play on Hard.

Mass Effect 2 was pretty amazing. They just gave you Legion way, way too late for how awesome he was, and it felt very Persona 4 in that 90% of the game was just recruiting people. I wanted more metaplot missions.

Persona 3 and 4 were great, except Junpei, except plot holes in P3, except P4 is mostly recruit missions.