Poll: Flawlwss Victory: Can you think of a game that is perfect?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Mother 3. Earthbound had design quirks like bringing up a menu to decide if you wanted to check something or speak to it, and for the most part the main characters receive little to no development. Also the combat system was a little bit rudimentary.

Mother 3 has among the strongest and most tragic character development of any game I've played, the rhythm combat system is clever, the pacing is perfect, and all the little problems are ironed out.

The only flaw that I can think of is that it wasn't released in any English territories, forcing me to purchase a new copy from Japan, keep it sealed with my Earthbound copies, and download the ROM.

Also, Pac Man and Tetris.

FlamingoPudding

Oct 18, 2011
I can think of allot of games that are perfect. I believe most of them are.

Allot of the pre-90's arcade cabinet games where damn perfect. And even "dreadfull" games like house of the dead 2 just seemingly fit like its supposed to, like you wouldn't want it any other way.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
It would have to be fun, free of bugs and bad design choices, truly infinitely replayable, and not time-consuming or addicting.

I doubt such a game could be made.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
Dark Souls is the closest thing to perfection that I have played.
Ico, Bastion and Ikaruga all get honourable mentions though.

For me Dark Souls is so special because even the things which would be imperfect in other games are almost perfect within the Dark Souls universe. The merciless difficulty means that what would be a "cheap" or "repetitive" attack/zone/enemy in other games feels justified by the setting, tone and presentation. In some instances, it actually adds to the game.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
There is no true perfect game but we each have our own standards so we can each have our own "perfect" game that is "perfect" for us. My perfect game is actually the entire mass effect series. Yes im cheating a little bit here but hear me out. Play the entire trilogy all the way through without any other games inbetween each one, and it feels like one huge game...it IS one huge game and every second of it is perfect (Yes even the third ones ending).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
A game can be perfect for what it needs to be within it's choosen concept. This doesn't necessarily mean it's the best game ever, it just means the game takes full advantage of its genre and could not have been made better without losing its balance.

And in that regard I'd nominate Journey and Portal. Resident Evil 4 comes incredibly close.

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
Malkavian Mod from Deus Ex. I know it's not technically a game, but the mod succeeds in getting me to spit all over my computer screen laughing with every single line of dialogue. I really want an update.

Call me Paul Bob Page.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
I literally cant think of anything wrong or improvable with Super Mario 64, and it does absolutely everything right, so I'd say that classifies as perfect in my books. I'm inclined to say Banjo-Kazooie too

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
illas said:
Dark Souls is the closest thing to perfection that I have played.
Ico, Bastion and Ikaruga all get honourable mentions though.

For me Dark Souls is so special because even the things which would be imperfect in other games are almost perfect within the Dark Souls universe. The merciless difficulty means that what would be a "cheap" or "repetitive" attack/zone/enemy in other games feels justified by the setting, tone and presentation. In some instances, it actually adds to the game.
Dont get me wrong, I love Dark Souls, even got all achievements, but it's by no means a perfect game.

The boss difficulty levels are a mess, some later ones like pinwheel and seath the scaleless are a complete pushover whilst fatboy slim can be ridiculous at times.

Optimisation is poor, think blighttown and the unplayable fps drops, also item balance is dubious at best (stat scaling weapons being poor in comparison to others).

I'm quite surprised by the number of people saying Crysis, other then the excelent visuals + physics engine large portions of the game were very average, mainly once the aliens arrive.
Again, it's a good game but nowhere near perfection.

Grogman

Mar 2, 2011
I consider the original Portal pretty much perfect for me, which is the only way you can really judge how perfect something is, I feel. Games that come close for me are:
-Bastion
-Cave Story+
-Half Life 2 (excluding Episode 1 & 2)
-Portal 2 co-op (I much prefer this to the single player)
-Cogs (it just got too hard for me)
-VVVVVV
-Killing Floor
-Rome: Total War / Medieval II: Total War
-Katawa Shoujo (the gratuitous sex worsened my experience of this game, although I suppose it's more of a book really)
and quite a few more I can't think of at the moment, though none of them I enjoy quite as much as Portal.

samgdawg

Apr 1, 2011
As much as I love Portal, Fallout, Mass Effect and all the new games with beautiful graphics, I just keep coming back to one game for the SNES. Chrono Trigger. Great story, great characters, incredible plot. I love every facet of this game.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Allthingsspectacular said:
Journey, definitely.
Probably one of the very few perfect games. I have no idea whatsoever how one could improve upon it in any way.

Suki_ said:
Yea easily its called Dark Souls.
see...
flaming_squirrel said:
The boss difficulty levels are a mess, some later ones like pinwheel and seath the scaleless are a complete pushover whilst fatboy slim can be ridiculous at times.

Optimisation is poor, think blighttown and the unplayable fps drops, also item balance is dubious at best (stat scaling weapons being poor in comparison to others).
Griefing has also completely and utterly fucked the online component of early-game due to multiple glaring errors and glitches, invading works terribly because online suffers from lag, Sidequests have very wonky rules for completion, certain characters and side-plots need more fleshing out and a lot more.

Dark Souls is a really fun game, but I could not call it a perfect game with a straight face in a million years.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'd argue that with the inclusion of the EC, ME 3 is a perfect game.

I'd argue that, then proceed to get kicked in the balls by everyone on this website.

As such I'll say that the games I've played that I consider to be "perfect" are Final Fantasy 2 (4) and Final Fantasy Tactics (original for the Playstation).

Seeing as how you can't fault those games for graphics given the technology of the times they came out, all you can really judge it on are gameplay, story, and mechanics.

Both have fantastic gameplay and mechanics, both have fantastic stories, and as an added bonus: both (particularly FF2) have fan-fucking-tastic music scores.

So yeah, there's two perfect games in my book for ya: FF2(4) and FFT. :p

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
The first Diablo I found to be perfectly balanced.

Symphony of the Night is just plain fun, thus I've beaten it multiple times doing almost the exact same thing. (The luck code makes things 10x more fun)