Poll: fps gaming and melee attacks, which style do you prefer?

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I'd like to see more FPS games in the vein of Condemned 1 and 2, bigger focus on melee than on shooting/gunplay.

drwow

Nov 25, 2009
Team fortress 2 didn't start it, and I can't remember which game did.
but when you have to switch to your melee weapon before you can use it
(like switching to a different gun), it prevents spam in my correct opinion

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Red Orchestra, Ostfront. As in you have to run up and smack em a bunch of times, or attach a bayonet to your gun or whatever.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
The single best melee combat is Mount&Blade, which can be played from the FP view and does involve shooting (arrows and crossbows) so it does kinda count.

But as for FPS games where shooting is the main way of murdering, Halo's is among the best.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
If the game was set up similar to CoD then the knife should be slower and require more than one hit to kill from the front.

A bayonet could be made as an attachment which would increase attack speed and allow 1 hit kills from the front. however it would be highly inaccurate, your cross-hairs would have to be bang on the target to work, none of the knife kills while looking away from you that are so common in CoDs atm.

alternatively the weapon butt or your fist could be used. again several hits to kill with the first working similar to a concussion/flashbang grenade and slowing the enemy movement speed. (though not by much, they still need a fighting chance) the blows could also wobble the enemy cross-hairs making it harder to aim, guns would still be the better weapon but this would give the melee fighter a chance to win.

MirrorSweep

Apr 17, 2009
I hate the knifing system in Call Of Duty, which is a shame because I love the series. I'd much prefer to see something slower ala Killzone 3.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
I like the Bad Company 2 method: sure, it's one-hit kill, but the animation is so slow, you might as well have shot him in that time.
I have to disagree because while it wasn't highly overpowered it was severly underpowered. It took far too long to initiate, and half the time, even if you do connect, it didn't count because the game wanted to spite you. If you were caught in knife range with an unloaded light machince gun against someone with a fully loaded weapon, you'd be better off trying to reload, and praying he has the reflexes of a dead sloth.

OT: I prefer Halo's effective but not a "press this to win," button.

ChipSandwich

Jan 3, 2010
For the "realism" (lol) type games, I'd prefer the BFBC2 method of having the knife drawn. One hit kills aren't really a problem if you have to take a decent risk to get them.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Given how unimpressed I was with the game overall, I find it odd to be saying this, the left 4 dead style of quickly knocking them off balance while doing very little damage is the best way.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
I preferred the old Battlefield system where you had to draw your knife and then melee with it; it made it fair because it was an instant kill, but whilst using the knife, you were rather exposed; the CoD system is functional, but a bit unfair on those with poor connections. I'd prefer the really old CoD style with the stock melee attacks which don't instant kill, but do damage, a bit like the halo system, but with the option to draw a knife and charge 'em.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Levi93 said:
I perfer the counter strike method of your knife being a seperate weapon that way you can only really use it as a last resort.
This! A thousand times this!
I was a knife master in CS1.6.

Now it seems 99% of melee attacks in FPS games are insta kills.

I honestly think the premise that one magazine worth of ammo to the chest < knife to the ankle is utterly asinine.

Games that do melee right: Counter Strike, Team Fortress(To a Degree), and umm... I guess Monday Night Combat because there's cooldowns for the grapples and they don't always insta kill.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I like both KZ3 and Halo: Reach's melee systems. Especially because they both have brutal attacks.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The Lawn said:
Levi93 said:
I perfer the counter strike method of your knife being a seperate weapon that way you can only really use it as a last resort.
This! A thousand times this!
I was a knife master in CS1.6.

Now it seems 99% of melee attacks in FPS games are insta kills.

I honestly think the premise that one magazine worth of ammo to the chest < knife to the ankle is utterly asinine.

Games that do melee right: Counter Strike, Team Fortress(To a Degree), and umm... I guess Monday Night Combat because there's for the grapples and they don't always insta kill.
Seconded.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Surprised you didn't list the good ol' Counterstrike way of knifing; it's, like your gun, one of the weapons you can draw. None of that insta-death-button nonsense.

Halo would be my second favourite.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Personally, I'd like to see a "two hit" melee system implemented into games. I could see it working with the heavy feel of Killzone or another relatively slow-paced FPS.

The first melee attack would be a sort of knock-back/stun attack, weakening the player and taking control away from them momentarily. They'd then ideally have a second to react before their assailant could attack a second time, finishing them off. For the attacking player, there'd be an attack animation ensuring they can't just melee quickly twice and finish off their opponent. Overall, this system would discourage melee in a crowded area of the map were the attacker could easily be shot by other opponents during the animations. It would also give the other player a chance to fight back.

And of course, a melee attack from behind would still be an instant-kill.

mighty_wambat

Jan 26, 2011
Fenring said:
mighty_wambat said:
Fenring said:
Why did you talk about Halo yet not include it in the poll?

And Halo does it right. It doesn't kill in one hit, and only has a tiny lunge range.
i didn't include it because its more or less like cod, its only about 2 choices, should it be a weapon to use as much or more then your gun (cod) or only in certain situations (killzone), in halo if you are behind someone and melee its instant, if you are in front there is a really good chance you will be shooting, the shooting will lower the shield then you empty the clip and melee, its not 100% of the time but it is a lot of it. it also has the lunge, that is a big difference, you move because you trigger it. that is an advantage that was not in the old system like in counter strike. so halo is for the purpose of this poll, like cod

It's a big difference. I've played both CoD and Halo a bunch. There is huge difference in how you play if you know you always can kill someone with a melee versus only from behind.
dude, your not hearing me, its not a question of which game is better because of its melee, its what should melee combat in a shooter game be like?

killzone if you melee near 2 enemies and your alone you are almost guaranteed to get shot
cod its not at all un-reasonable that you could kill 3 or 4 guys in 1 room with a knife, the halo system is not the same but as i said twice now, its not about every single game with shooting and melee, its about a general preference, there is a sword in halo, ok, a freaking sword, the nature of the poll is how valuable should melee be in shooters, how powerful not why you like one halo more then cod.

and now i have to ask, given that your harping on halo, have you even played killzone 3?