Poll: Futurama vs Family Guy?

Beastmaster

Jun 5, 2009
I was talking with some people at my school and we got into a conversation about the different animated shows (Simpsons,American Dad,Family Guy,Futurama) and we got into an augment about which show is better (Family Guy or Futurama). I think they are both great but for the debate I sided with Family Guy. It was me and one other guy siding with Family Guy while everyone else went with Futurama. So i decided to ask the escapist community their opinion. Also if i get a lot of people siding with Family Guy i can rub it in the faces of my school mates.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
I'm afraid that I find all of Seth Macfarlane's work unfunny and crude. The same applies for South Park. Futurama, however, is brilliant.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
FFS, i accidentaly clicked family guy. Futurama is way better then family guy!

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
I dont even see Family guy as comedy. For all its faults South park at least got it right with their view on the subject.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Futurama. Not even close.

Family Guy is a lot of toilet humor and it's kind of like South Park now where I think (keywords: I THINK) the creators know that the only reason people watch the show is to see how far they'll push the envelope. Family Guy also uses cheap cutaway gags that are funny once, but can sometimes go on for way to long. The earlier stuff is okay, but a lot of the shows material of the past year or so has been terrible, both in storytelling and in what it brings to the table in humor.

And truthfully, sometimes the jokes feel forced. As if they shove it in just because it's an omg they did not just go there kind of joke.

Futurama has some great humor, and while it pushes limits, it never really gets too dirty. The stories, the characters, and the world are also much more memorable to me. And sometimes, the series can hit nerves. I think one of the saddest episodes of a TV show in general was the episode Jurassic Bark. I dare you to watch that and not have tears in your eyes afterwards. The show has moments that break through the humor and show the characters in different lights.

Futurama has jokes, but also tells stories and offers moments that make you think. It's a show with a lot of small jokes, some which only the smartest people can understand (i'm not one of them sadly), that can sometimes make you think "wow! They put that in there!". Family Guy has some great episodes as well, but the show really gets it's ratings from its dead center jokes.

But to each their own. Family Guy has earned its place and I do enjoy watching it every now and again, but nine times out of ten, if Futurama and Family Guy are on at the same time, I'll be watching Futurama.

EDIT: Thanks to mjc0961 for pointing out my mistake at the end there.

CheesusCrust

Sep 24, 2009
Futurama is better. I like Family Guy but crude humour isn't really my kind of humour. Also, I think American Dad is far superior to Family Guy and is on par with Futurama.

Majora Major

Nov 29, 2010
Futurama, hands down and FTW. An animation that is funny but still puts the effort into creating a real storyline (I've been attached to the characters for ten years now, and they're lovingly consistent). Family Guy is funny (some times) and entertaining, but it falls short of many animations on my top list. Futurama is one of them.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Family Guy seems to get hated on online. I personally think it's hilarious. I never found Futurama that funny though. Of course it didn't help that when it was first released in the 90s is was on Sky.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Futurama all the way.

Family Guy isn't without it's merits, but frankly I can't stand to watch the early episodes where it amounted to little more than "The Simpsons, but risqué" and while I have genuinely enjoyed a lot of the show, in the recent years it's just gotten too preachy for me. It also seems to revolve around going further and further with its jokes, like they want to see just how far people will let them go.

Futurama on the other hand is my favorite animated series, bar none. I love the humor, the fully realized world, the characters, the stories, everything. That said I found the new season since coming back to be less funny than the old stuff. Maybe it's because I'm seeing the old stuff through rose-tinted glasses or because they're trying to replicate the humor that's more prevalent now (i.e. ripping off Family Guy) and being more topical, whatever it is I just hope that it's the writers just trying to get back into their groove.

Bottom line, if I have the choice between a new episode of Family Guy and an old episode Futurama that I've seen at least a dozen times, I still choose Futurama.

CheesusCrust said:
Futurama is better. I like Family Guy but crude humour isn't really my kind of humour. Also, I think American Dad is far superior to Family Guy and is on par with Futurama.
I couldn't agree more.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
IMO, Futurama is the better show because they are expertly constructed. I can watch each episode 100 times and still find new things to laugh at. I do not know how many times it took for me to notice that the picture in Uncle Vladimir's castle was of Commodore 64.

I like the early season of Family Guy, right until Fox brought it back. It was lowbrow humor but done in a way that was not really offensive. It even had some good sequences, like the Chicken fight. After it was brought back, I could not watch it anymore because it adopted the "take a joke and beat it until it is a bloody smear on your knuckles" mode of comedy telling. Half the jokes on that show now appear to be written that way. When the show entered its whore phase, when Seth MacFarlane announced to the world that he is only doing the show because he will degrade himself for Fox's money, the show just got stupid fast. All the bold moves the show is doing is Seth;s attempts to generate enough controversy so that Fox will cancel the show.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I like both shows, but Family Guy is well past its prime. Any shred of decent writing that was present earlier on is now gone (American Dad and the Cleveland Show are much, MUCH better nowadays in that department), whereas the writing in Futurama is almost second to none as far as animated comedy is concerned.

Futurama benefits from only having 4 (now 5) seasons of mostly quality episodes; if they continue the series much longer it will eventually be strained as well. FG is still funny on occasion, but the laughs are usually few and far between the random, idiotic absurdity that is now the norm.

So again, both are (or were) funny, very much so at times, but which is better? Futurama.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
To put it simply, when family guy is at its best, it's laugh out loud hilarious. When it's at its worst, it's horrendous.

When Futurama is at its best, it's very funny and also intelligent, with social commentary. The worst it gets is just not hilarious, not offensive.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I like them both and they are very different, so it´s difficult to compare. But i voted for Family Guy, because of it´s "i know this is crude homour, but i dont care as long as it makes you laugh really hard" approach.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think both Futurama and Family Guy kinda suck.

Futurama is just not funny at all, no matter how hard it tries. And Family Guy can be funny, but the random, drawn out jokes makes the writters come off as lazy.

So eventhough I don't really like either show, I'm gonna have to go with Family Guy.