Poll: Futurama vs Family Guy?

Captain Ka-Boom

Apr 15, 2010
mb16 said:

guess which one i like :D
Holy shit! That's awesome! Rep to this guy, now!

On Topic though, it's not even a contest. Even though Family Guy has it's charm, Futurama is way better. There's nothing better than jokes which actually HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE PLOT AND CHARACTER PROGRESSION

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Futurama, even if I only have seen a couple of episodes off it atleast they don't steal 99% off all there jokes T.T"

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
JWRosser said:
Actually, to all these people saying Family Guy is just crude toilet humour...well, it's not. A lot of the humour is quite sophisticated. Sure, they do throw in the odd fart gag, but I really don't think they go OTT at all. Family Guy is one of the funniest things out there.

South Park too. Sometimes they go a bit far - like the episode in the newest season where the write a sequel to Catcher in the Rye and everyone pukes? I didn't find that funny. But some of their stuff is very political. People just judge it because the animation is "bad" (although it's intentional).

Futurama is still hilarious. Funnier than the Simpsons I think. Just some of the stuff they come out with is so dry but classic, like in Season 2 A Pharaoh to Remember; "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here". One of my favourite lines.
But the thing is, it is not just an odd fart gag, there are frequent stupid gags like that just too keep the younger and often asinine audience interested. Of course it can be funny and highly political but do you think it is the political episodes that take a look on the controversial topics in the world that sell? Also not to offend Family Guy, but it seems that they frequently re-package jokes and they often don't seem to end the episodes properly. Examples of the aforementioned problems are:
Remember when Lois had to make a choice to raise a baby or have an abortion? And the episode went through all the ramifications of it and it was and times very serious, the entire episode ended when Peter kicks open the door and says "We got the abortion!" Another time like this is when Peter becomes a psychic and ends the entire episode when he says "Yeaaahhh, I'm not a psychic!"
Remember the absolutely inane Conway Twitty cut away jokes? They lasted for like 3 minutes each and they were painful as hell, once they did it twice in an episode.
The times when Peter had to fight the giant chicken? It was funny the first minute but it dragged on and on, they do it in three separate episodes and then later they make references to it in other separate episodes.

I could go and on and on about more episodes which use and abuse the same formats of humor but I think this post is long enough. I know you are probably going to say "But some people found that stuff funny!" All I can say is, it pissed more people off than it made people laugh.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
The first few seasons of Family Guy were absolutely sublime, but since last year it's become mostly lame. A few laughs here and there, but the originality is gone. I haven't seen much of Futurama, but what I've seen was pretty good.

I'll say it's a tie for now, until I watch more Futurama.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Futurama is actually funny, so that. Family Guy makes me feel like my intelligence dropped after I watched it, kinda like the past 3-4 years of South Park.

King of the Hill was still better than both, Simpsons is up there too.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Futurama by far. However, if you forced me to choose between Futurama and American Dad... that's a tough choice... American Dad is a far superior show to Family Guy. So much so that I'm surprised it came from MacFarlane.

sharinganblossom25

Jan 2, 2011
Sure, Futurama has more interesting characters, but Family Guy's offset and random humor has always gotten the cake for me.

Igor Florian

Dec 19, 2010
I love both.

Futurama entertain you most, the history itself is much interesting. But, Family Guy's jokes are freaking hilarious to me.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Early Family Guy was funny but lately it seems its lost its appeal. The Halloween episode last year was funny as was the Christmas one but other than that not so much. Futurama is funny but just doesn't come out enough to keep my attention. I have netflix and watch the episodes once in a while but I tend to watch South Park more often.

Lightnr

Jan 8, 2009
Krylock said:
Also, stop crying about Family Guy being crude. What are you, 12 years old? Put your big boy ears on and stop complaining, you little girls.
One might say you're 12 years old if you can't appreciate the complex insinuations and deeply psychological subtleties of futurama and opt for 30 minutes of fart jokes, racist jokes, and other things that have as much depth as a reflection pool.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Dimensional Vortex said:
JWRosser said:
Actually, to all these people saying Family Guy is just crude toilet humour...well, it's not. A lot of the humour is quite sophisticated. Sure, they do throw in the odd fart gag, but I really don't think they go OTT at all. Family Guy is one of the funniest things out there.

South Park too. Sometimes they go a bit far - like the episode in the newest season where the write a sequel to Catcher in the Rye and everyone pukes? I didn't find that funny. But some of their stuff is very political. People just judge it because the animation is "bad" (although it's intentional).

Futurama is still hilarious. Funnier than the Simpsons I think. Just some of the stuff they come out with is so dry but classic, like in Season 2 A Pharaoh to Remember; "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here". One of my favourite lines.
But the thing is, it is not just an odd fart gag, there are frequent stupid gags like that just too keep the younger and often asinine audience interested. Of course it can be funny and highly political but do you think it is the political episodes that take a look on the controversial topics in the world that sell? Also not to offend Family Guy, but it seems that they frequently re-package jokes and they often don't seem to end the episodes properly. Examples of the aforementioned problems are:
Remember when Lois had to make a choice to raise a baby or have an abortion? And the episode went through all the ramifications of it and it was and times very serious, the entire episode ended when Peter kicks open the door and says "We got the abortion!" Another time like this is when Peter becomes a psychic and ends the entire episode when he says "Yeaaahhh, I'm not a psychic!"
Remember the absolutely inane Conway Twitty cut away jokes? They lasted for like 3 minutes each and they were painful as hell, once they did it twice in an episode.
The times when Peter had to fight the giant chicken? It was funny the first minute but it dragged on and on, they do it in three separate episodes and then later they make references to it in other separate episodes.

I could go and on and on about more episodes which use and abuse the same formats of humor but I think this post is long enough. I know you are probably going to say "But some people found that stuff funny!" All I can say is, it pissed more people off than it made people laugh.
This is all true, but then again, they make fun of themselves. For example in one of the more recent episodes (I forget which) they have a cut away gag in which Quagmire thinks me is getting the spin-off*, and he says something along the lines of "So long suckers. Have fun with your Conway Twitty and Giant Chicken jokes!"

Admittedly, yes, I do fast forward through these bits. They're funny the first time but after that do get a bit tedious, but apart from that I think, personally, Family Guy is brilliant. Of course, each to their own :)

*What about the Cleveland Show? I think that has some moments of hilarity but the rest is just above average.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Hands down Futurama. The difference in quality of these shows is not a small difference it's massive.

Family Guy can be funny, I mean early on in its run was some of its best stuff it was a good show. Now it will have some funny bits sure, but as a whole if you looked at the series its not great. A lot of episodes are complete write offs in terms of any funny bits at all. And really looking at the cut scenes in the recent episodes it's totally hit and miss if they are going to be good or not.

Futurama however had this brilliant quality where by pretty much every character was funny in their own way. The jokes were funny on a whole other level to family guy jokes. Some episodes were just a just a constant laugh for 20 minutes. Think "Anthology of Interest" Parts I & II. And really will there ever be a better character than Dr. Zoidberg??

No never.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i'm sure this is just an echo of what other people are saying but family guy used to be great, but now i'm lucky if i laugh in the newer seasons.

i prefer futurama

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
Futurama. For me, this isn't even close. I'd rather endure a back-alley lobotomy than sit through an episode of Family Guy. I've tried more than a few times, and it just isn't funny for me, nor are any of Seth's other projects.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Futurama. family guy is OK, but sometimes the randomness goes too far, and too sick.
And also: I've seen a lot of poll opinions that are meant to be random, like "banana!", but for some reason this one really made me laugh. And 15 people have pressed it. Fun stuff indeed.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Dimensional Vortex said:
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Family Guy's random humor is more apealing to me
Oh god, I hope you aren't one of those people who thinks randomness is so funny and cool and who then proceeds to be random as an excuse for comedy. Sorry if that sounds a bit aggressive but I couldn't help myself, I meet so many people who do that.
I never thought that randomness could be looked down upon that bad.
I just like jokes that come out of nowhere and give you a "what the hell just happened? :p" feeling.
Like this one:

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Futurama i can never find funny, family guy hasn't been funny since season 3. So i'll go with my hair is on fire.
Dimensional Vortex said:
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Family Guy's random humor is more apealing to me
Oh god, I hope you aren't one of those people who thinks randomness is so funny and cool and who then proceeds to be random as an excuse for comedy. Sorry if that sounds a bit aggressive but I couldn't help myself, I meet so many people who do that.

I like Futurama more, I'm not real sure why. Perhaps it is because it is often a more intelligent form of humor, or perhaps it is because I love science, science fiction and anything to related to space. I also get sick of the family guy characters, Peter is such a fat idiot it is painful, the popularity with Stewie angers me and no one ever likes Brian. Oh well, that's my two cents.

PS: Brian is my favorite character on Family guy, and the Professor and Zoidberg are my favorites on Futurama.
Professor Farnsworth: These new highly aggressive Stem cells will help.
Fry: But aren't those highly controversial?
Professor Farnsworth: In your time yes, but in this day Shut up!
i take it youve never met a family guy fan boy.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Beastmaster said:
Also if i get a lot of people siding with Family Guy i can rub it in the faces of my school mates.
Haha, too bad!
Maybe my avatar is a clue to my opinion. Futurama is vastly superior to Family Guy in every way. First off, it's clever, one thing no one can claim about Family Guy. Secondly, it's subtle with it's jokes and references, yet another thing Family Guy absolutely doesn't have. Thirdly, Futurama's characters are a hell of a lot more interesting than Homer Simpson, Snoopy and the rest of Family Guy's bland, generic cast. Stewie's awesome though, and Brian and Peter have their moments. The rest are crap.
Futurama also has a lot better stories. They're more creative, clever, funny and poignant. Just look at Jurrasic bark or X-mas story. Family Guy's also become a lot worse recently, resorting to cheap, stupid laughs that I don't find funny at all. That bank episode anyone? It uesd to be great, now it's barely good. Futurama also has 4 movies, of which 2 are awesome (2 & 3), 1 is great (1) and 1 is okay (4). I'm sure I can think of more reasons, but I think I've proved my point. Futurama FTW!
If you think Family Guy is funnier, fine. It has it's moments, or at least used to. I still prefer Futurama's comedy, but to each his own. But you can't really say that Family Guy is the better show, only the funnier one.
P.S. Fox are morons.