Poll: Game of Thrones - Who is the most evil character?

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Reasonable Atheist said:
Why is little finger not on the list? I vote little finger.

Seconded. He basically started almost everything. And anything he didn't start he made worse.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ive only watched bits and pieces, but...
Joffrey Baratheon - evil little ****. Nothing special though. He is possibly the most evil, but as was before and after, not that big of a threat to anyone with the power or ability to not care for his shit.

Cersei Lannister - Just a *****, and it is starting to turn out bad for her.

Tywin Lannister - Not evil, really, just pragmatic and practicle.

Ramsay Snow - Vicious prick, possibly tied with Joffrey, but much more capable by himself.

However, Im going with other.

There is someone for more evil...
heinous...
and absolutely remorseless...
And when the times comes for him to make his play...
everyone will remember his name... a name that will bring nightmares for years to come...

Hodor!​

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
grey_space said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
Why is little finger not on the list? I vote little finger.

Seconded. He basically started almost everything. And anything he didn't start he made worse.
This, more or less. The first major betrayal of the Starks was probably the worst.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
ZiggyE said:
Gregor Clegane is pretty irredeemably evil.
Count my vote for Gregor Clegane as well. Most of the others have some sort of purpose or agenda behind their evil acts...Clegane strikes me as one of those brutally sadistic sorts who just wants to see the world burn.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Silvanus said:
My vote goes to Roose Bolton.

In the words of Reek, Roose Bolton has "more cruelty in his pinky toe than all the Freys combined".

Ramsay is a complete psychopath, but would lack the intelligence and forethought to be anything more than a murderous thug if he were on his own. Roose combines that cruelty with enough calculation to terrorise thousands of people.

I eagerly await the day Stannis Baratheon cuts his creepily impassive head off.
You have a point about Roose, but ultimately that's why, if we're going with "pure" evil, I would rank him below his son. His capacity for cruelty may be greater (see: how Ramsay was conceived in the first place), but he's ultimately a pragmatic man with ungodly levels of self control. Granted, that's still pretty evil, but for me it's people who are committed to being wicked even when doing so actively impedes them who come across as the truly wicked ones.

What was the expression, "I am compelled to perform evil, regardless of its utility."? XD

Which leads to my opinion! I'd say it's a tie between Ramsay and Joffery, though if I had to pick one it'd be the former. Both characters are equally wicked, but Ramsay is way more high-functioning about it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
My pick would be whoever came up with the idea to have a random Son of the Harpy
kill Barristan the Bold. Seriously, fuck them for killing off one of the most awesome characters from the books in such a shitty fashion. And then Danny goes and pulls a Mad King Aerys. Perfect tribute to the guy who just died and had warned you about that very thing. Ya, I really didn't like that last episode...
I voted for Ramsay though. He kills and tortures for fun and his only slightly sympathetic quality is that he feels that his father doesn't love him enough. At least Joffrey was still a kid with room to grow. Roose is just doing what is necessary to further his family's power. Plenty of other families do bad things for power. Roose just happened to betray a main character so we felt it a bit more.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Silvanus said:
True Northmen know honour!

And stupidity. Which, in this setting, tends to get you killed

Even Lord Karstark's schism with Robb was rooted in duty. Roose knows nothing of it.
On the contrary! Were I a vassal lord under such morons as the Stark family, I'd be duty bound to usurp them immediately. For personal reasons, and for the good of the north. Traipsing about with your own men, and countrymen, following some stupid boy who's trying to be his stupid father (and failing) to fight a war they could never really win.

But seriously, Roose is evil. However as another poster said, he's just doing what the setting allows, and technically even expects of him. He has no need to be cruel, but neither does Twyin, or the Greyjoys, or Cersei, or any others.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Daenerys Targaryen.

All she did in the entire series is to travel to a foreign country, fucks everything up, and then cry dragons whenever someone questions her motives, all whilst failing to control whatever she believes she is. This is the textbook definition of manipulation and a power trip.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im going to say Petyr Baelish.

He was, after all, behind the key events that sent Westeros spiraling into chaos.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
None of them.

GoT's villains are way too cartoony to be believable. I only realized this after the fourth season. I used to think Joffrey / Cersei were evil as hell, but they're so exaggerated, it's more funny at this point to me.

Joffrey, for example is bad in every single way. He's cruel, incapable of compassion, stupid, egotistical, never wants to gets his hands dirty, cowardly, has bad taste in humor / entertainment, etc. etc.

I imagine R.R. Martin sweating profusely trying his hardest to convince us that these people are EVIL!! (TM). Just stop, man. Stop.

No wonder he said that "Walter White is a Bigger Monster Than Anyone in Westeros" (actual quote, btw).

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SKBPinkie said:
I imagine R.R. Martin sweating profusely trying his hardest to convince us that these people are EVIL!! (TM). Just stop, man. Stop.
Please do not conflate the television show with the books, which are written by Martin. The books are not perfect by any means, but they are miles beyond the embarrassing fan fiction of the television show.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Silvanus said:
My vote goes to Roose Bolton.

In the words of Reek, Roose Bolton has "more cruelty in his pinky toe than all the Freys combined".

Ramsay is a complete psychopath, but would lack the intelligence and forethought to be anything more than a murderous thug if he were on his own. Roose combines that cruelty with enough calculation to terrorise thousands of people.

I eagerly await the day Stannis Baratheon cuts his creepily impassive head off.
Hmm, Roose is most definitely not a mustache-twirling villain in the books. He is indeed cold and cruel, but also very calculated and his actions weren't without some degree of warrant. There might be more of a dichotomy between good and bad in the show, but if this were 5 years ago, I doubt many if any people would say that Roose was the most evil, if even "evil" at all.

It's been so long since I have read the books and I haven't watched the show, but I am sure if you search in the ASOIAF forums you will find some very good arguments in defense of Roose's actions.

Internet Zen Master

Aug 20, 2014
Robert B. Marks said:
ZiggyE said:
Gregor Clegane is pretty irredeemably evil.
Count my vote for Gregor Clegane as well. Most of the others have some sort of purpose or agenda behind their evil acts...Clegane strikes me as one of those brutally sadistic sorts who just wants to see the world burn.
Considering what Gregor did to his little brother over a friggin' toy, that last bit might be more accurate than you think.

Got to go with Ramsey on this one. While dear old Dad is obviously cruel as hell (he IS a Bolton), Roose at least has a sort of endgame planned with his evil/cruelty.

Ramsey...? He's pretty much just being evil for the sake of being evil.

I base this on both the books and the increasingly ridiculous fanfiction that is the show as of the most recent episodes.

Seriously, I have nothing against Bronn, but who the front-flipping fuck thought that having Jamie team up with Bronn and going down to Dorne was a good idea?