Poll: Game Overthinker After Mass and after thoughts

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Boy.

It is an opinion about something that ultimately does not matter anymore. It stopped being an issue when Bioware and EA are taking time out of their lives and DLC release schedule to make a free enhancement for the games. I personally do not agree with that decision, but it was not mine to make. My involvement with the whole process ended the moment I paid 60 dollars for my copy of the game. I did not contribute a dime before that.

The argument is over. If MovieBob wants to keep spinning his wheels about it, let him. You are doing the worst thing you could think of right now. Be more mature and let him have his tantrum. Do not have a tantrum yourselves and claim that yours is somehow better.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
*Epic Snip*
Can I hug you? :D

This post pretty much sums up my whole feeling about that damn game and a bloody poor ending. God's I really wanted to try this series out but the constant banging on about the ending as killed it and any hope of me actually caring for the "Re-take Mass Effect" cause.

OT: Nice avatar by the Templar, what episode is that from?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Another point is, its like there are three people on this site when it comes to the issue:

For the movement: Jim Sterling
Neutral Either Way: Yahtzee
Against the movement: Moviebob
Yes Shepard, this is the choice you must make. If you choose Jim Sterling you will wipe out all synthetics, including the internets, but the peace won't last. Soon your children will create internets, and then the chaos will come back.

Or do you think you can control it? Yahtzee could never have taken control, because he already controlled the hate. You will die, you will control the internets, but you will lose everything you have.

There is another solution. Moviebob. Add your energy to the Escapists, everything you are will be absorbed and then sent out. The chain reaction will combine all synthetic and organic life into a new artistic integrity... a new videogame medium.

The paths are open, but you have to choose.

BuddhaGeek

May 12, 2010
*sigh* Bob seems to have gone from being an insightful (if aggressive) commentator to an internet troll... It's actually kind of sad

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
dalek sec said:
Lunar Templar said:
*Epic Snip*
Can I hug you? :D

This post pretty much sums up my whole feeling about that damn game and a bloody poor ending. God's I really wanted to try this series out but the constant banging on about the ending as killed it and any hope of me actually caring for the "Re-take Mass Effect" cause.

OT: Nice avatar by the Templar, what episode is that from?
*internet hugs!!* nice to have some one agree with me on this for once :3
and my Avatar is from the last few moments of "Luna Eclipsed" (season 2 ep 4) just after Luna punks Rainbow Dash. i liked how she look sitting on the cloud so i screen capped and edited!

Devoneaux said:
Lunar Templar said:
self snippage
It was probably done intentionally o overshadow the fact that EA just managed to get away with releasing an incomplete game you have to pay extra for with on Disk "DLC"

*Tinfoilhat*
it's EA, so i wouldn't be surprised in the least. though dose seem a bit excessive just to cover for disk locked content.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Game Overthinker? More like the Game Overeater!
Anyways, I am so sick of hearing about his opinion on the ending. He's done like 12 videos over it, fuck off already.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I don't always agree with Moviebob (or anyone for that matter) and don't agree with everything he's said. I, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, manage to still enjoy a personality/character despite disagreeing (sometimes strongly) with them. It happens. That being said I agree with a lot of what he's said about this nonsense. Not so much the sky is falling, setting back the medium stuff, but a lot of it.

1. It's a funny thing about hyperbole. People only complain about it, when the disagree with what it's about (or they are super into proper debating). I'm noticing some hyperbole on your own post even.

People who take obvious hyperbole literally, though, they're pretty dumb.... which is why GOT used more hyperbole to double insult those people.

2. Marketing is full of lies, yeah. That's not a good thing, no, but it's the name of the game really. It's a very thin line between "false advertising" and "misleading advertising." And "misleading advertising" is redundant. Bob doesn't say you shouldn't complain about getting burned by marketing.

4. BBB thing wasn't a victory. Cool beans I suppose, but at this stage in the game, doesn't mean a whole lot.

6. I trust Bob to know what he's talking about with older movies. That's kind of his thing. Sources would be nice, but he's not writing his dissertation.

I don't think ME3 will end up being seen as "good" by the masses years from now in the same way that other things have, but it's a valid point at least. It happens for all new, or progressive, or whatever description you want things. New kinds of music continuously go through that gauntlet. Jazz used to be the devil's music. Rock and Roll used to be the devil's music. Heavy Metal used to be the devil's music.

7. You don't see the possibility that something bad might come out of the Retake thing? I can see it. That doesn't mean I think it's likely to go down nearly as badly as he's saying, but I can see it. Just like I can see some of the good that could come out of it.

Possible good things: developers start putting more care into their endings, maybe marketing becomes a little less like.. marketing (ha!).
Possible bad things: developers take less risks, developers trust fan feedback more than they should (cuz we aren't always as right as we think we are)

Also possible none of those things happen.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Terminate421 said:
Another point is, its like there are three people on this site when it comes to the issue:

Yes Shepard, this is the choice you must make. If you choose Jim Sterling you will wipe out all synthetics, including the internets, but the peace won't last. Soon your children will create internets, and then the chaos will come back.

Or do you think you can control it? Yahtzee could never have taken control, because he already controlled the hate. You will die, you will control the internets, but you will lose everything you have.

There is another solution. Moviebob. Add your energy to the Escapists, everything you are will be absorbed and then sent out. The chain reaction will combine all synthetic and organic life into a new artistic integrity... a new videogame medium.

Actually, the destory synthetics option is one big lie.
A. Its the Paragon option, no matter what they say
B. My friend had EDI in their party and she did not "die" after she is seen coming out of the normandy, so that means it doesn't destroy the geth either.

May 17, 2010
Fusioncode9 said:
Game Overthinker? More like the Game Overeater!
Anyways, I am so sick of hearing about his opinion on the ending. He's done like 12 videos over it, fuck off already.
You are horrible but I can't stop laughing. God I'm like a child.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Meh. I just stopped clicking on Bob's content here on the Escapist after his last outburst about this. I won't give my Internet traffic to him, that's my expression of the disappointment I feel in his refusal to consider other sides of this issue.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
He has good points every now and then, but he's a preachy, over-indulgent fuck that thinks the 80's were great, but the 90's were awful.

That's beyond fucking retarded.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Devoneaux said:
Terminate421 said:

*Picks renegade and shoots in the head*

I'm tired of your disingenuous assertions!
"Argh! Bullets! My one weakness, how could you have known?!?"

The Catalyst child melts like the witch from the wizard of Oz, then the ghost water goo stuff it's made of drips down into the machinery, short circuiting the citadel. Emergency sirens start blaring:

*Warning* Critical power failure in Citadel. Insufficient energy to continue Reaper communication. Wifi disengaged. *Click* Direct control aborted. You must construct additional pylons. Please do not turn off citadel or disconnect plug while shutting down *Bzzzzzt* The lights go out, leaving Shepard in darkness, as he runs off to teabag the Illusive man (It's what he would have wanted.)

Cut to earth, where we see the reapers all shuddering and falling limp and dead on the ground, as the ground forces rejoice, then cut to the other solar systems showing the same thing in each system, with the respective native aliens celebrating.

Cut back to the Citadel, where we see the Normandy landing, as Joker runs out and finds Commander Sheperd. "I'd never desert you" he says, before cheekily winking at the camera. As they walk back to the ship Anderson joins them. Shepard stops and stares in disbelief, but Anderson handwaves it in two words, "Regenerating health". They fly off into the sunset.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
God damn it Bob at least know what you're talking about before you start complaining about the retake ME3. That whole I am legend part he added in just annoyed. The Ending was changed before the game even came out!

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
It's important to note that he has had much flack in the past for things not limited to but including: defending Other M, calling the Halo series racist, and (this is one is probably the worst offender) liking Spider-Man 3.

So he hasn't had a stellar track record, but I don't want to seem like I'm putting an ad hominem attack on him (that would be silly).

We shouldn't lose sight of the facts though. He, Graham, Yathzee, etc, they aren't just critics. They are guys like us all with an opinion on the issue, they aren't gaming gods or have ultimate influence (or I should hope not). When they broadcast their opinions, it simply allows us to show our own conflicting or joining views (maybe I'll start a thread on that).

Terminate421 said:

Yes Shepard, this is the choice you must make.
This shit just got super meta.

DVS BSTrD said:
Can you clarify your rebuttal of Graham's argument? I'm not sure I understood it fully (though I got the sarcasm).

I actually know very little about Jim, he's been often accused of being a tool, but I'll reserve judgement.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I need to stop giving the man views.

I'm not going to start hating on him or anything, but much as I have sometimes agreed with him on certain topics in the past, every so often something comes up that makes me unsure of him. Normally I just chalk these up to difference of opinion and move on, but these Mass Effect videos have actually left me feeling angry and insulted.

Now Bob is certainly allowed to upset whomever he likes in his videos, but I don't personally feel comfortable supporting him any more. I gave him the benefit of the doubt after the first video (after a brief cooldown period), but I really can't believe he's going out of his way to piss the same people off AGAIN.

So long Bob, it's been (sort of) fun.

Guess I just need to break the habit of blindly clicking on every new video that pops up on the Escapist's homepage :p

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Eamar said:
I need to stop giving the man views.

I'm not going to start hating on him or anything, but much as I have sometimes agreed with him on certain topics in the past, every so often something comes up that makes me unsure of him. Normally I just chalk these up to difference of opinion and move on, but these Mass Effect videos have actually left me feeling angry and insulted.

Now Bob is certainly allowed to upset whomever he likes in his videos, but I don't personally feel comfortable supporting him any more. I gave him the benefit of the doubt after the first video (after a brief cooldown period), but I really can't believe he's going out of his way to piss the same people off AGAIN.

So long Bob, it's been (sort of) fun.

Guess I just need to break the habit of blindly clicking on every new video that pops up on the Escapist's homepage :p
It's harder than it sounds, but every time I go to click his stuff here I just remember how much I dislike being called a whiny baby *****. Usually does the trick.