Poll: Game Overthinker After Mass and after thoughts

JSDodd

Jul 29, 2010
I completely agree with the OP, i like most of Bob's stuff but he's just being an absolute tool about the whole Mass Effect ending situation. His film reviews help me decide what to go spend my money on watching and he makes many good points in the various "overthinker"/"big picture" style things he does.

But seriously Bob: Chill the fuck out and stop preaching at us, if it was anyone else i would genuinely think they were trolling.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well, since the only arguments I've seen against him are that he "doesn't get it" or that he's wrong because he's wrong, I might have to give it to him here.

Terminate421 said:
Holding us back?! HA! When we, as a community, are loud enough, developers listen, this is a good thing, why do you think that MW3 held onto its "quick-scoping"? Because people asked for it (As wrong as it was) Bethesda also changed the ending to Fallout 3!
...Well, I never thought I'd see someone actually admitting to that. And those two changes may have been good, but if the community knows they can get whatever they want by screaming loud enough, that's where the problems come from. If developers will bend whenever there's a massive outcry then they've basically given up control.

V8 Ninja said:
we should always fight for the "Right" thing at this time, even if that thing is fixing a bad ending to a video game.
This is honestly massive bullshit. Until you can prove that the ending was objectively bad (which you can't, majority opinion =/= objectivity), "fixing" it isn't the "Right" thing.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While Bob does have a few points in his favor, they all relate to what could happen to video games as opposed to what will happen, none of which justify now. While we should be wary of the future, we should always fight for the "Right" thing at this time, even if that thing is fixing a bad ending to a video game. And besides, if the extended ending doesn't make people happy I'm sure the fans will get so pissed that they'll all make their own ending, which will probably be 10 times better than what Bioware cooked up at the last minute.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
SadakoMoose said:
I think you put War and Peace to shame with that...

Anyways, I found myself nearly unable to even click the link to watch the video. I just know what his opinion would be, even before reading your post.

For all the good points I find myself agreeing with Bob on (none this episode), The fact I have realized is that Bob is a preachy sonfabitch. And when he has an opinion about something, he creates hyperboles and strawmen to support his opinions. And even worse, when he has a very strong opinion about something, he always insults and berates those that oppose his opinion (The Expendables review in particular, as well as the few that fallowed.) It makes it hard to take anything from him as serious.

MacNille said:
Don't forget,this have set gaming back a whole TEN YEARS (yes, Moviebob said that on his twets).
Like this! He acts like this will destroy the very foundation of gaming. In fact, I think if we were to go with his opinion of "games being art", that would end up being even worse for the medium.

I swear, Im gonna have to start putting points into Constitution just to watch his OverThinker and possibly movie reviews. Thankfully, The Big Picture is still tolerable.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I suspect that Bob keeps bringing this up because it's just another opportunity for him to mock people and act like the elitist that he is. He's nothing more than some pompous ass that has this particular view on the world and spazzes the fuck out when people don't agree with it. It is pathetic and nauseating.

Also, he still doesn't seem to get the point of the ME3 ending debacle. He goes on a tangent about how people might have reacted badly to the ending of the Godfather much the same as the Re-take movement because it's sad. That's not the point you lazy fuck! I didn't play the games and I was able to see why the ending is reviled: it sucks and makes no damn sense to the proceedings. It makes moot every second spent on the series. But it doesn't matter to him does it? It's just another opportunity for him to talk down to people and act smart.

May 17, 2010
Mylinkay Asdara said:
It's harder than it sounds, but every time I go to click his stuff here I just remember how much I dislike being called a whiny baby *****. Usually does the trick.
I think quite a few of them have never actually been on the side he has argued against so they didn't notice just how blatant his straw-manning and ignorance was. If you agree with Bob, and sometimes you will, it is easy to overlook his excesses as you justify them as being right in spirit or all in good fun.

However once you actually examine what he's talking about his whole argument falls to pieces.

Or maybe I'm one of those evil 90s jocks who because of my dislike of say sucker-punch and Scott Pilgrim (I actually like that movie) and we should be glad that Bob was bullied by my hands so that he could rise to glory and spread his benevolent "wisdom" to the good children of the internet.

Or maybe he is an arrogant, ignorant, pretentious douche-bag who squanders his intellect by never challenging his assumption or actually doing any research. Which is a shame.

I'll let you decide!

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Bob is and always has been a hypocrite on the internet, his poisonous opinions have led to the idea that since he was "bullied in school", he can bully everyone else....

Then comes his arguments against the ending, even though he hasn't played the damned thing. This is like attempting to ban Coca-cola without actually tasting it.

Holding us back?! HA! When we, as a community, are loud enough, developers listen, this is a good thing, why do you think that MW3 held onto its "quick-scoping"? Because people asked for it (As wrong as it was) Bethesda also changed the ending to Fallout 3!

I also love how he ignored that fans wanted the ending to the original Sherlock Holmes changed so they litterally picketed the author until he wrote more of the famous detective

Another point is, its like there are three people on this site when it comes to the issue:

For the movement: Jim Sterling
Neutral Either Way: Yahtzee
Against the movement: Moviebob
Color coded red, green, and blue for your convenience! :D

Oh god, what have I become?

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
370999 said:
Mylinkay Asdara said:
It's harder than it sounds, but every time I go to click his stuff here I just remember how much I dislike being called a whiny baby *****. Usually does the trick.
I think quite a few of them have never actually been on the side he has argued against so they didn't notice just how blatant his straw-manning and ignorance was. If you agree with Bob, and sometimes you will, it is easy to overlook his excesses as you justify them as being right in spirit or all in good fun.

However once you actually examine what he's talking about his whole argument falls to pieces.

Or maybe I'm one of those evil 90s jocks who because of my dislike of say sucker-punch and Scott Pilgrim (I actually like that movie) we should be glad that Bob was bullied by my hands to rise and spread his benevolent "wisdom" to the good children of the internet.

Or maybe he is an arrogant, ignorant, pretentious douche-bag who squanders his intellect by never challenging his assumption or actually doing any research. Which is a shame.

I'll let you decide!
I'll take the latter. It fits what is.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Freechoice said:
He has good points every now and then, but he's a preachy, over-indulgent fuck that thinks the 80's were great, but the 90's were awful.

That's beyond fucking retarded.
Not retarded. That's nostalgic. That's simplistic. That's idealistic.

It nothing more than this. He was a kid in the 80s, but was a teenager in the 90s. That is pretty much it. If you were a kid in the 90s, you would fondly remember that time too. It's the same going back centuries. Things that remind people of childhood are automatically better and things that remind people of awkward moments suck.

As for me, I am a child of the 80s, but I do not live there. A lot of the things that I like, cartoons, animated movies, non network programming, video games, computers, etc, have gotten much better in the last 25 years.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
malestrithe said:
Freechoice said:
He has good points every now and then, but he's a preachy, over-indulgent fuck that thinks the 80's were great, but the 90's were awful.

That's beyond fucking retarded.
Not retarded. That's nostalgic. That's simplistic. That's idealistic.

It nothing more than this. He was a kid in the 80s, but was a teenager in the 90s. That is pretty much it. If you were a kid in the 90s, you would fondly remember that time too. It's the same going back centuries. Things that remind people of childhood are automatically better and things that remind people of awkward moments suck.

As for me, I am a child of the 80s, but I do not live there. A lot of the things that I like, cartoons, animated movies, non network programming, video games, computers, etc, have gotten much better in the last 25 years.
But we can objectively say a lot of things were shitty about the 80's.

The Reagan administration
The Smurfs
Retarded action movies
My Little Pony (it wasn't FIM)
Lennon was killed
AIDS pandemic began

Now look at the 90's
Nickelodeon had great programming.
Cartoon Network had great programming.
The internet was becoming mainstream.
N64, Dreamcast, PS1
Star Trek: TNG started being good in the 90's
Simpsons was at its height in the 90's.
The Matrix

That's just a few things.

Look at all of this stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s

It's fucking amazing.

Also, That 80's Show failed hard.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
MacNille said:
Don't forget,this have set gaming back a whole TEN YEARS (yes, Moviebob said that on his twets). His points are fucking stupid. That he doesn't "get it" that we don't like it for being a downer ending. It's because it makes no fucking sense!
Sounds like a complement, 10 years ago in 2002 had some pretty good releases.

From personal experience, notable releases were:

Ratchet and Clank
Warcraft III
Age of Mythology
Kingdom Hearts
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

From what I gather from other people, other notable releases were:

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
TimeSplitters 2
Neverwinter Nights
Medieval: Total War
Battlefield 1942
Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

Quite a good year for successful original ip, taking the industry back a decade to learn what they did right might not be a bad idea. To be honest though, I think we need to take gaming back even further. Back to the days when the SNES was riding high and Sega made really fun Sonic the Hedgehog games.

My personal view of Bob is that he's very likable and interesting when he's talking about something he enjoys but when he's angry, he's not worth listening to. I wonder if in a decade from now he'll post something similar to his view of complaints about the Star Wars prequels where he says he was very vocal and angry at the time and it just wasn't worth it (I'm probably remembering that somewhat wrong though).

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
MovieBob's been falling out of favor with me for several months now. His resent whine-fest regarding ME3 was the final nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Smart about movies (well not always, but most of the time).

Very dumb about games.

There is my opinion.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Freechoice said:

The Smurfs
Retarded action movies
Lennon was killed
AIDS pandemic began

Now look at the 90's
N64, Dreamcast, PS1
The Matrix

It's fucking amazing.

That 80's show failed not because the 80s sucked, but it was a terrible idea.

You are making the same mistake that Moviebob and other nostalgia people are doing. You are stacking the deck trying to make the argument more one sided better than it actually is. You are taking one decade's highlights and comparing them to another's lowlights.

Or as someone so elegantly put it. "Yes, I know there were bad things from those decades. I just choose not think about them."

No decade is perfect. It only seems perfect when you look at them through the lens of nostalgia.

Also, if you think about it. here are some bad things about the 90s

Boy Bands
Clinton Sex scandals
FoxNews becoming a political force
Right Wing Punditry in general
Dawson's Creek
7th Heaven
MTV becoming less Diverse, more willing to listen to corporate interests
First Gulf War
Waco Texas

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
malestrithe said:
Freechoice said:

The Smurfs
Retarded action movies
Lennon was killed
AIDS pandemic began

Now look at the 90's
N64, Dreamcast, PS1
The Matrix

It's fucking amazing.

That 80's show failed not because the 80s sucked, but it was a terrible idea.

You are making the same mistake that Moviebob and other nostalgia people are doing. You are stacking the deck trying to make the argument more one sided better than it actually is. You are taking one decade's highlights and comparing them to another's lowlights.

Or as someone so elegantly put it. "Yes, I know there were bad things from those decades. I just choose not think about them."

No decade is perfect. It only seems perfect when you look at them through the lens of nostalgia.

Also, if you think about it. here are some bad things about the 90s

Boy Bands
Watergate
FoxNews becoming a political force
Right Wing Punditry in general
Dawson's Creek
7th Heaven
MTV becoming less Diverse, more willing to listen to corporate interests
First Gulf War
Waco Texas
Watergate was the 70's fyi.