Poll: Game Overthinker After Mass and after thoughts

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
No, I don't particularly like MovieBob.

But I'll still watch his movie and comic book videos, since he tends to know what he's talking about there. I can't honestly say the same thing about Game OverThinker, since he has to much of a genre bias. (And that's not even taking into account the art bias.)

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Darkmantle said:
All I can think is, where are all the rants and tweets and videos from bob about the H.E.A.T. movement (which he covered btw) that happened for the green lantern? why was it okay for those fans, but not video game fans? It drives me nuts.
I don't think he agreed with that. Re-watching the video (Going Green, Part I) on H.E.A.T., it never feels like he is complimenting the movement, unless calling H.E.A.T. "biggest fan boy p**sing and moaning" is a compliment. Rather, he is complementing the writer for taking a bad write-up story and using it to help tie together a bunch of other plot holes. So it seems that he doesn't like ANY "fan boy p**sing and moaning." (or at least, what he perceives something to be...well, you know)

Jan 27, 2011
*Hasn't played ME3 yet, but is a massive fan of the series, and will be playing ME3 soon, once I'm done with Xenoblade. PLZ no spoilers if you reply to me.*

...I think he just doesn't understand the problem here.

Gamers generally have no problem with downer endings. I mean, there was a certain game that came out last summer with a SERIOUS downer ending (two of them, actually), and almost everyone loved them. Personally, I think it was the best game ending I've ever seen.

It's not even about a lame ending. I mean, Deus Ex human revolution had 4 pretty good endings...but the delivery method for these endings felt very lacking and disappointing. And while a lot of people were annoyed, the fuss wasn't all that big, nor did it last very long.

So no, this is not about downer endings, or mere disappointment. The anger over the ending is about....Well, let me break it down.

The Mass Effect series has always been about making choices, and facing the consequences of them. The series was based on the principle that choices made in the first two games would have an impact on the ending. And we made each choice seriously, weighing the consequences...

And then ME3's ending apparently doesn't even really take your choices into account? It's just a lame "choose ending now" deal with little closure?! AFTER 3 GAMES OF TELLING US HOW EVERY CHOICE MATTERS IN THE END?!

Yeah, I can definitely understand why people are upset. It feels like a slap in the face to promise us over 3 games that every choice matters...Only for them not to matter.

And no, I don't think that "caving" to the fan outcry sets the medium back. What it does is show developers "Hey, make sure that you take your ending seriously. Don't do something that will spit in the face of your previously established ideas.". It's like how everyone got pissed at Other M, for how it changed Samus from an independent badass to a subservient wuss (despite that conflicting with the gameplay and ALL the previous games).

....Oh wait. Bob liked Other M, didn't he? -_-

I mean...bob makes good points occasionally, but still...Recently, I feel he's been missing the point more and more often these days.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
xaszatm said:
Darkmantle said:
All I can think is, where are all the rants and tweets and videos from bob about the H.E.A.T. movement (which he covered btw) that happened for the green lantern? why was it okay for those fans, but not video game fans? It drives me nuts.
I don't think he agreed with that. Re-watching the video (Going Green, Part I) on H.E.A.T., it never feels like he is complimenting the movement, unless calling H.E.A.T. "biggest fan boy p**sing and moaning" is a compliment. Rather, he is complementing the writer for taking a bad write-up story and using it to help tie together a bunch of other plot holes. So it seems that he doesn't like ANY "fan boy p**sing and moaning." (or at least, what he perceives something to be...well, you know)
If the fan boy pissing and moaning got him a story he really enjoyed, then perhaps he should be more appreciative of it, just sayin.

EDIT: and re read what you typed. Doesn;t that sound like the place ME3 is in right now? full of plot holes, crappy story, fans want it re-written. It could be another opportunity for the writers to do something great, like with the green lantern thing,

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Are people still going on about the ending to Mass Effect 3? Jesus, get over it. Yes the ending was bad, but it's a game. Regardless of how many hours you put into it it's not going to affect your life. Move. On!

I wish my life was so carefree that these were the sort of things I could get worked up about.

And this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone in this thread, it's aimed at the people that are still letting Mass Effect 3's ending consume their thoughts and everyone who supports that idiotic Retake Mass Effect thing.
Chairman Miaow said:
Are people still going on about the people going on about the ending to Mass Effect 3? Jesus, get over it.
I'm not still going on about people complaining about Mass Effect 3's ending, because frankly I never started. I only brought it up here because every day people are going on about how bad the ending is.
Chairman Miaow said:
Yes, they disagree with you
Actually they don't disagree with me. I hated the ending myself, I simply think people are getting far too worked up about it.
Chairman Miaow said:
but regardless of how many hours you put into arguing with people on the internet about things that don't effect you in any way it's not going to affect your life. Move. On!
It's funny because I've not spent any of my time on the internet arguing with people about the ending to Mass Effect 3.

Chairman Miaow said:
And this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone in this thread, it's aimed at the people that are still letting people talking about Mass Effect 3's ending consume their thoughts
I think you'll find it's not consumed my thoughts. I haven't thought about Mass Effect 3's ending or the people talking about it until I entered this thread.

Even though you were completely wrong, I'll still give you points for your witty post. It made me laugh.

EDIT: And so did that God awful quote.

EDIT 2: That's better.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Darkmantle said:
xaszatm said:
Darkmantle said:
If the fan boy pissing and moaning got him a story he really enjoyed, then perhaps he should be more appreciative of it, just sayin.

EDIT: and re read what you typed. Doesn;t that sound like the place ME3 is in right now? full of plot holes, crappy story, fans want it re-written. It could be another opportunity for the writers to do something great, like with the green lantern thing,
Oh no, I wasn't agreeing with what Bob said, I'm just pointing out that he doesn't like ANY moaning and complaining, even if it ends up benefiting him in the end. Personally, I don't give a care either way. I never liked the Mass Effect series to begin with. I really don't have anything for or against anything. My apologies if I sounded condescending.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
xaszatm said:
Darkmantle said:
xaszatm said:
Darkmantle said:

Oh no, I wasn't agreeing with what Bob said, I'm just pointing out that he doesn't like ANY moaning and complaining, even if it ends up benefiting him in the end. Personally, I don't give a care either way. I never liked the Mass Effect series to begin with. I really don't have anything for or against anything. My apologies if I sounded condescending.
oh no worries, I didn't take it as condescending :)

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
No, I don't particularly like MovieBob anymore. I haven't watched any of his videos in a long time and this whole ME3 debacle hasn't exactly convinced me to give him a second chance.

jensenthejman

Aug 22, 2011
I watched his video on it. All I heard was point after point of him just not getting it. It wasn't that the ending was too dark, or too sad; it was that we were LIED TO about it. He goes on about the press being on Bioware's side, when the credibility of gaming journalism overall is already lower than zero. I like Bob. He has intelligent opinions most of the time, except for when it comes to games as far as I'm concerned. All in all, yeah, he doesn't get it.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Are people still going on about the ending to Mass Effect 3? Jesus, get over it. Yes the ending was bad, but it's a game. Regardless of how many hours you put into it it's not going to affect your life. Move. On!

I wish my life was so carefree that these were the sort of things I could get worked up about.

And this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone in this thread, it's aimed at the people that are still letting Mass Effect 3's ending consume their thoughts and everyone who supports that idiotic Retake Mass Effect thing.
Chairman Miaow said:
Are people still going on about the people going on about the ending to Mass Effect 3? Jesus, get over it.
I'm not still going on about people complaining about Mass Effect 3's ending, because frankly I never started. I only brought it up here because every day people are going on about how bad the ending is.
Chairman Miaow said:
Actually they don't disagree with me. I hated the ending myself, I simply think people are getting far too worked up about it.
Chairman Miaow said:
but regardless of how many hours you put into arguing with people on the internet about things that don't effect you in any way it's not going to affect your life. Move. On!
It's funny because I've not spent any of my time on the internet arguing with people about the ending to Mass Effect 3.

Chairman Miaow said:
And this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone in this thread, it's aimed at the people that are still letting people talking about Mass Effect 3's ending consume their thoughts
I think you'll find it's not consumed my thoughts. I haven't thought about Mass Effect 3's ending or the people talking about it until I entered this thread.

Even though you were completely wrong, I'll still give you points for your witty post. It made me laugh.

Ok, fair enough, but you do get people who seem to look for threads about Mass Effect just so they comment about how little they care, thanks for the points. I shall spend them on cupcakes.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Chairman Miaow said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

Chairman Miaow said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Chairman Miaow said:

Chairman Miaow said:

Ok, fair enough, but you do get people who seem to look for threads about Mass Effect just so they comment about how little they care, thanks for the points. I shall spend them on cupcakes.
Meh, I've been in barely any Mass Effect 3 threads since the game released. Usually when I did go in a Mass Effect 3 it was to laugh at Zeel raging, his posts were very entertaining.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
So you're arguing with his opinion. Congratulations, you got the point.

Just to clear the waters before I dive in, I'm not saying that Bob's a troll here. At all.

But he's made a video, of his opinion, for the viewer to agree or disagree with. You disagree. Other people agree. There's no be all end all view on this - there's no be all end all view on anything. He's presenting his opinion in the way he sees fit. If you feel it's insulting towards you personally - you know, I don't even have to explain this part, he explained it himself in crystal clear terms three minutes into the video, unless Navi's voice is a couple Hertz above your hearing range.

But by all means, think that you're in some way superior to him by resorting to personal attacks. Ever heard the one about the pot and the kettle?

[sub]Note: not all of this is directed at the OP, or indeed you, dear reader. It's just an outlash against the general trend.[/sub]
There is 'having a difference of opinion', and then there is 'wading into a debate without even bothering to gather the appropriate context, and then proceeding to presumptuously insult everyone on the opposing side'.

If Bob had played the Mass Effect trilogy, liked the ending (or didn't like it but still thought that changing it would set a bad precedent), and been able to express that without calling everyone who disagreed a whiny cry-baby, I could respect that. I wouldn't agree with him overall, but I would respect him.

But what do I see here? He champions 'artistic integrity', but doesn't even have the journalistic integrity to research the issue properly. Rather than address the various opinions and aims of the 'Retake ME', he just hand-waves the entire thing with a dismissive, strawman argument. He call us childish, and then tries to cover his ass by saying he was just being hyperbolic for no reason, because what's childish about that?

I'm not pissed that someone disagrees with me over how to handle this issue (I don't even entirely disagree tbh). I'm pissed because someone who claims to be a champion of the 'mature' gamer, is behaving in a way that is uncalled for, mean, and just plain stupid, because it suits him this time around. I hate the word 'hypocrite' as it is so overused, but Bob might as well stencil those letters to his forehead right now. If he wants to keep telling us that 'gamers' need to earn the right to be taken seriously, he should at the very least lead by example.

I'm not going to stoop to his level and call him names, and the think the people that are aren't helping their case, but from someone who I know is capable of making arguments as great as his 'Violence is Golden' episode, I expected a lot better.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
OP, you complain about how he calls people who complain a lot about the ending of one game childish. Here you are with all your supposed maturity, wasting time over something he said. A mature person wouldn't let the ending of a game be a big deal. A mature person wouldn't let someone who's got an opinion on a massive amount of people's childish reactions get to him.

Congratulations. You have by making this thread proven that you're not a mature person. I rarely share his opinions in full, but I never really find a reason not to shrug it off. He raises some points with merits at time. He speaks out of his ass sometimes.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Lovely Mixture said:
It's important to note that he has had much flack in the past for things not limited to but including: defending Other M, calling the Halo series racist, and (this is one is probably the worst offender) liking Spider-Man 3.
How could he!?! HOW could he call Halo racist?
Well, according to him, the Spartans are symbolic of a homogenized vision of genetic perfection where everyone is essentially the same (never mind that the only reason you don't get to see what ethnicity each individual Spartan is is because, shocker, they wear fully body armor in front line combat); while the Covenant are a collective of different and divers races being portrayed as the enemy (never mind that all the races are essentially manipulated and enslaved by dictatorial religious zealots who couldn't care less about them).

I guess you could sort of see his point... if you knew nothing about the franchise... and you were drunk.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Meh, I've been in barely any Mass Effect 3 threads since the game released. Usually when I did go in a Mass Effect 3 it was to laugh at Zeel raging, his posts were very entertaining.
His posts were quite funny, but his blog was downright scary and pathetic.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Lovely Mixture said:
It's important to note that he has had much flack in the past for things not limited to but including: defending Other M, calling the Halo series racist, and (this is one is probably the worst offender) liking Spider-Man 3.
Well, according to him, the Spartans are symbolic of a homogenized vision of genetic perfection where everyone is essentially the same (never mind that the only reason you don't get to see what ethnicity each individual Spartan is is because, shocker, they wear fully body armor in front line combat); while the Covenant are a collective of different and divers races being portrayed as the enemy (never mind that all the races are essentially manipulated and enslaved by dictatorial religious zealots who couldn't care less about them).

I guess you could sort of see his point... if you knew nothing about the franchise... and you were drunk.
Never mind that the only people you really see in positions of command are either black or a woman.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Chairman Miaow said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Lovely Mixture said:

Never mind that the only people you really see in positions of command are either black or a woman.
You're forgetting Keyes Sr. from the first game, but you're point still stands.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Chairman Miaow said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
His posts were quite funny, but his blog was downright scary and pathetic.
I didn't dare look at his blog. I saw how he acted on the forums here.

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
MacNille said:
Don't forget,this have set gaming back a whole TEN YEARS (yes, Moviebob said that on his twets).
10 years you say... Like, before Day One DLC and generic shooters?