Poll: Game Overthinker After Mass and after thoughts

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Don't worry. Thanks to complacent consumers, we won't have any soon.
You think you have rights? Stop being such an entitled ***** and hand over all your money!

In all seriousness, the artistic integrity is the thing that gets me the most. If you read any of the behind-the-scenes stuff, or look at the stuff they cut out... they don't HAVE any artistic integrity

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Are people still going on about the ending to Mass Effect 3? Jesus, get over it. Yes the ending was bad, but it's a game. Regardless of how many hours you put into it it's not going to affect your life. Move. On!

I wish my life was so carefree that these were the sort of things I could get worked up about.

And this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone in this thread, it's aimed at the people that are still letting Mass Effect 3's ending consume their thoughts and everyone who supports that idiotic Retake Mass Effect thing.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I he literally said that Bioware going back and "fixing" Mass Effect was the same as George Lucas repeatedly making all those "alterations" to Star Wars. I'M saying that Casey Hudson ALREADY pulled a George Lucas with Mass Effect's ending. Changing something is NOT bad as a rule! And of course he got into the whole, "they made it, it's their game, they can do what they want" artistic integrity crap.
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-masses-are-effected
That makes sense, thank you. You make a really good point with that statement: "Changing something is NOT bad as a rule!"
The first link was brought into question a couple times, but it seems like it's real now.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Are people still going on about the ending to Mass Effect 3? Jesus, get over it. Yes the ending was bad, but it's a game. Regardless of how many hours you put into it it's not going to affect your life. Move. On!
It's no longer just about the ending, it's about: the rights of producer/maker vs rights of the consumer, what constitutes as false advertising and false promises, whether or not "artistic integrity" exists or even matters presently.

It brought a whole discussion of these things to a bigger audience.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I wish my life was so carefree that these were the sort of things I could get worked up about.
Just look at everyone on the forum discussing anything else.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
And this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone in this thread, it's aimed at the people that are still letting Mass Effect 3's ending consume their thoughts
Well ok...I guess if you want to be ultra specific and avoid flaming from everyone here.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
and everyone who supports that idiotic Retake Mass Effect thing.
Nevermind, I'll just roll my eyes at this point.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
All I can think is, where are all the rants and tweets and videos from bob about the H.E.A.T. movement (which he covered btw) that happened for the green lantern? why was it okay for those fans, but not video game fans? It drives me nuts.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

And this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone in this thread, it's aimed at the people that are still letting Mass Effect 3's ending consume their thoughts and everyone who supports that idiotic Retake Mass Effect thing.
Are people still going on about the people going on about the ending to Mass Effect 3? Jesus, get over it. Yes, they disagree with you, but regardless of how many hours you put into arguing with people on the internet about things that don't effect you in any way it's not going to affect your life. Move. On!

And this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone in this thread, it's aimed at the people that are still letting people talking about Mass Effect 3's ending consume their thoughts and everyone who complains about Retake Mass Effect without having a clue what they are talking about.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
00slash00 said:
words i never want to hear again, "mass effect 3 ending." i dont care if you liked it or hated it, i am just so fucking sick of hearing about it. let it go, it really doesnt matter that much.
Can I hug you too? :3

Honestly that right now this is how I feel about the whole damn thing. I'm sorry that the fans got screwed over at the end of it all but damnit, let it go. I was let down by a book recently but I didn't demand they change it or spammed the writer with a ton of emails.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
dalek sec said:
00slash00 said:
words i never want to hear again, "mass effect 3 ending." i dont care if you liked it or hated it, i am just so fucking sick of hearing about it. let it go, it really doesnt matter that much.

Honestly that right now this is how I feel about the whole damn thing. I'm sorry that the fans got screwed over at the end of it all but damnit, let it go. I was let down by a book recently but I didn't demand they change it or spammed the writer with a ton of emails.
well.... the threads were well on their way to dying out, but then bob can;t stop running his mouth, so here we are again.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Phlakes said:
This is honestly massive bullshit. Until you can prove that the ending was objectively bad (which you can't, majority opinion =/= objectivity), "fixing" it isn't the "Right" thing.
Actually, it is objectively bad and broken from a literary standpoint. There's a whole bunch to it, but it violates some of the basic principles of literary theory. You can find a good analysis of it here: http://jmstevenson.me/2012/03/22/all-that-matters-is-the-ending-part-2-mass-effect-3/

I'm not for the Re-Take thing simply because I stopped giving a shit after a few days, but I'm not about to let anyone walk away with the false idea that the end of ME3 was in any way competent writing. It failed on just about every level. The only thing it actually succeeded in is that the words were in the proper order and the grammar was sound. The actual literary merit of it was non-existent.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
anyway. I'm just glad its over, well. till the DLC comes out and we getta whole new shit storm on how THAT ending, or expansion, or what ever, fails to met any expectations of what a good ending should be for the over hyped bore feast that is Mass Effect
This is exactly why retake mass effect is bad because we all know that when the extended cut comes out those same people will ***** and moan that it sucks and all the same shit we have already heard about the first ending so what is the point in even doing it they may as well just leave it alone and move on to something else.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Devoneaux said:
Hero in a half shell said:
Terminate421 said:
Another point is, its like there are three people on this site when it comes to the issue:

For the movement: Jim Sterling
Neutral Either Way: Yahtzee
Against the movement: Moviebob
Yes Shepard, this is the choice you must make. If you choose Jim Sterling you will wipe out all synthetics, including the internets, but the peace won't last. Soon your children will create internets, and then the chaos will come back.

Or do you think you can control it? Yahtzee could never have taken control, because he already controlled the hate. You will die, you will control the internets, but you will lose everything you have.

There is another solution. Moviebob. Add your energy to the Escapists, everything you are will be absorbed and then sent out. The chain reaction will combine all synthetic and organic life into a new artistic integrity... a new videogame medium.

The paths are open, but you have to choose.
*Picks renegade and shoots in the head*

I'm tired of your disingenuous assertions!
snip
You should send that in to Bioware, you would probably get a job writing alongside Casey Hudson.
Phlakes said:
This is honestly massive bullshit. Until you can prove that the ending was objectively bad (which you can't, majority opinion =/= objectivity), "fixing" it isn't the "Right" thing.
It was objectively bad. There are many videos explaining why it is objectively bad. It is out of genre, out of style, it turns the primary antagonist into a protagonist in 14 lines of dialogue, and in these same lines of dialogue asks you to make a final decision of 3 endings which all have no explanation and leave it down to space magic. You have no choice here, only the Illusion of choice. You can't question anything this character introduced in these 14 lines of dialogue says, only blindly follow what it says, half of which doesn't make any sense. You will die and lose everything you have, but control the Reapers. What? how does that make any sense? Which is it? Will I be dead, or will I control the Reapers? If I'm dead, will I be uploaded to a computer or something so I can control them? If I control them, can I just tell them to destroy themselves, so I can have the destroy ending without destroying all synthetics? These endings then have no distinctions other than colour coding and the size of something falling apart, characters suddenly appear in space when they were on Earth. To top it all off, Bioware lied repeatedly, and insulted those who didn't like the ending by saying they didn't get it. I've probably missed loads of stuff, but there's at least a fair few reasons why it is objectively bad.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
getoffmycloud said:
Lunar Templar said:
anyway. I'm just glad its over, well. till the DLC comes out and we getta whole new shit storm on how THAT ending, or expansion, or what ever, fails to met any expectations of what a good ending should be for the over hyped bore feast that is Mass Effect
This is exactly why retake mass effect is bad because we all know that when the extended cut comes out those same people will ***** and moan that it sucks and all the same shit we have already heard about the first ending so what is the point in even doing it they may as well just leave it alone and move on to something else.
I really don't get why they are releasing it. They have said it is going to "clarify" the ending. Clarity doesn't make shit better, it just means you can see the shit more clearly, which isn't a good thing. So yeah, of course people will complain, because they aren't actually fixing the problem, they are just insulting the people who didn't like the ending by saying "actually you are just so stupid, you don't get it, here, we'll clear things up for you."

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
dalek sec said:
00slash00 said:

You don't have to go into the threads about it, so if you really don't care about it, leave. Don't go into the threads, don't talk to these people about it, there are hundreds of other threads on this website alone, probably thousands. It matters to people enough that they want to talk about it, why does it matter to you?

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Chairman Miaow said:
getoffmycloud said:
Lunar Templar said:
I really don't get why they are releasing it. They have said it is going to "clarify" the ending. Clarity doesn't make shit better, it just means you can see the shit more clearly, which isn't a good thing. So yeah, of course people will complain, because they aren't actually fixing the problem, they are just insulting the people who didn't like the ending by saying "actually you are just so stupid, you don't get it, here, we'll clear things up for you."
Maybe its because they know that people will complain regardless of what they do. A good case in point for this is actually the dragon age panel at PAX where they basically announced that dragon age 3 would be more like origins, and what happened everyone started complaining despite the fact this is what everyone asked for after dragon age 2 was released

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
getoffmycloud said:
Chairman Miaow said:
getoffmycloud said:
Lunar Templar said:
Maybe its because they know that people will complain regardless of what they do. A good case in point for this is actually the dragon age panel at PAX where they basically announced that dragon age 3 would be more like origins, and what happened everyone started complaining despite the fact this is what everyone asked for after dragon age 2 was released
If that were true why would they release anything? Surely they would just say "we stand by what we did". Also, do you have any links to information about people complaining about dragon age at pax?

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I don't think that's necessarily fair. I mean sure, some people are getting too worked up about this, but for a lot of people gaming is one of those things you turn to when you're having a hard time or want to get away from more "real" problems. Not saying gaming is everyone's sole emotional crutch, just that people use it in this way just as they do with any hobby. I know I was pretty pissed off that my escapism was so royally fucked up at the end.

My point being, just because people complain about a game (or movie, or TV show or whatever) doesn't mean they don't have anything more important in their life.

And hell, I think this is a good thing in some ways. It's about time we started raising the bar in gaming, not just letting any rubbish writing or whatever slide, at least when we've been led to expect more.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
getoffmycloud said:
Chairman Miaow said:
getoffmycloud said:
Lunar Templar said:
Its all in the comments of these somewhere you might have to do some digging but I do remember a lot of well done you have reinvented the wheel type comments from people

http://uk.gamespot.com/events/pax-east-2012/video.html?sort=rank&sid=6370583
http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-panel-ludicrously-touts-ancient-rpg-mechanics-225630.phtml