Poll: Games in development that are potential candidates for greatest game of all time

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
I.E the extreme hype train thread.

Personally, I think that The Witcher 3 is the best candidate for the following reasons:
* Proven developers that can clearly handle the scale of this project
* Impressive-looking combat mechanics with a wide variety of options available
* Ridiculously huge open world that, so far, doesn't appear to reduce the depth to a puddle like many othe games do.
* Graphics that are unmatched by any game I am aware currently exists
* What we've heard of the soundtrack so far is excellent
* Should be able to match or exceed the storyline of the previous game

However, there are three things that could hold it back:
* The camera didn't seem to respond well in combat, but that could be them picking unusual angles just to show off the game vs how the camera will actually work if left to it's own devices.
* I am not sure if anyone can create a combat system interesting enough to survive the suggested 100 hours of game-play.
* Geralt still isn't a particularly interesting character.

Otherwise, Star Citizen is a good candidate due to sheer graphical and technological superiority over anything else, but whether this can translate into a game that is genuinely fun to play remains to be seen.

What is your personal candidate?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Are people seriously that hyped for Battlefield 3? To my knowledge, all we know about it is the name and the studio, neither of which mean as much as people like to think they do. Not to mention it's being published by EA, who are notorious for having a bunch of payed for map packs and microtransactions in their multiplayer games. I'm not saying it can't end up being good, but at this point there's absolutely no reason to get excited.

On a similar note, some people are probably too hyped for No Man's Sky. This one has a decent shot at being a good game, but some people seem to have let there expectations get so massively carried away that there's no possible way that the game will live up to them (although the studio is at least partially responsible for this). There are some good games out there that people just shit on because it didn't live up to their expectations, and it would be sad to see this turn into another one of those. Star Citizen will probably end up suffering from this as well, although at least they have some very impressive live footage and playable parts of the game to back it up.

Witcher 3 will probably be good. Witcher 2 was good, and everything they've shown of Witcher 3 looks good as well. It's still no guarantee, because we really won't know how well the more open world thing is going to work out until people have had a chance to play it for several dozen hours, but if there is any studio that I'm willing to bet can deliver on their promises, its CD Projeckt.

Other than that, I don't really care about MGSV or Persona 5, as I've never played anything in either of those series, and Torment, although I am very excited for it (backed the Kickstarter and everything) is still way too far out to make any sure statements on.

So I guess to answer your question: maybe some of these games could be amazing, but we don't really know until we get a chance to play them, and a lot of games are still way to far out to be getting majorly hyped for. Wait, that didn't really answer the question. Oh well.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'm not really interested in most of those games. The only one I'm sort of keeping an eye on is The Witcher 3, but even then, it is a major if for me. I absolutely hated The Witcher 2 on pretty much every level, and while The Witcher 3 looks like it will be fixing some (well, a lot) of the problems I had, it will need to improve a lot over The Witcher 2 for me to consider it really good. So despite the fact that The Witcher is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, I'm still really concerned about The Witcher 3, if only because The Witcher 2 was such a letdown.

I guess if I had to choose a game that has a chance, it would be Xenoblade Chronicles X. The original is one of two games that I often find are switching out for my favorite game of all time, so pretty much any improvement over that will firmly cement it as my favorite game. But considering it is a sequel to one of my favorite games and it has to both live up to and exceed my rather high expectations for me to really get that experience out of it, I'm really only expecting it to be a great game. I'm just hoping it will improve on the original enough for it to be the best game I've ever played.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meh.

Every good, successful new game has a bunch of converts preaching it's eternal excellence.

Have we already forgotten how Skyrim was The Greatest Game Ever Made for about 3 months? Whatever happened to all those people?

I guess now we're not even waiting to play the games before declaring greatness.

Anyway, of those games I am interested to see how No Man's Sky turns out, although I wish the devs would just release a bug unedited chunk of gameplay video so we can see what we're actually doing in the game.

Also curious to see how Star Citizen's final product compares to it's huge ambition.

Everything else just looks like run-of-the-mill pap.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Arkham Knight.

Arkham City was a near-perfect experience for me. The atmosphere and tone were perfect, the combat was perfect, and it's a franchise I love to bits. It was only held back by some lacklustre side-quests and other little issues.

If Arkham Knight turns out to be an even more solid experience, it might have a chance to take my top spot.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I am hyped times a billion for No Man's Sky.

I just hope Hello Games can pull it off, but more importantly I hope Sony don't get too pushy with them and make them change it, from what I've seen so far there is no specific goal in the game... and that's what I want to play, I just want to explore an endless universe, but something tells me Sony will commission a focus group who want another CoD and they'll have to add in some arbitrary "finish the game" task.

Also +1 for Xenoblade Chronicles X... Xenoblade Chronicles was so good, and I'm a big fan of Monolith Soft, I hope they can follow it up.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
I'm not really interested in most of those games. The only one I'm sort of keeping an eye on is The Witcher 3, but even then, it is a major if for me. I absolutely hated The Witcher 2 on pretty much every level, and while The Witcher 3 looks like it will be fixing some (well, a lot) of the problems I had, it will need to improve a lot over The Witcher 2 for me to consider it really good. So despite the fact that The Witcher is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, I'm still really concerned about The Witcher 3, if only because The Witcher 2 was such a letdown.

I guess if I had to choose a game that has a chance, it would be Xenoblade Chronicles X. The original is one of two games that I often find are switching out for my favorite game of all time, so pretty much any improvement over that will firmly cement it as my favorite game. But considering it is a sequel to one of my favorite games and it has to both live up to and exceed my rather high expectations for me to really get that experience out of it, I'm really only expecting it to be a great game. I'm just hoping it will improve on the original enough for it to be the best game I've ever played.
I'm kind of curious why you thought the game was such a let-down. The 'maturity' was pretty immature at times, the difficulty spikes were annoying, the story was pretty standard, Gerald was a cardboard cut-out, and the skill/talent trees aren't as intuitive as I'd like them to be. Not to mention the crafting being interesting, but a bit tedious. Still, the game was friggin' awesome. Graphics, individual characters here and there, choices you make actually affecting things (during gameplay, not sure about the end. Haven't done that part yet.), beautiful environments, a far less clunky combat system than 1 (even if it still wasn't perfect.), etc.

My choices:
Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky. Projekt RED has earned part of my trust with their previous work, and W3 looks like it will be pretty awesome. "Best game ever" is a bit too much, but it might become my game of the year. NMS looks incredibly promising, and the promises they make sound wonderful for people like me. That being said, they're promising A LOT of things. Quite a few things other companies with larger teams have promised, but failed to deliver on. Plus they've given very little information about the game so far. So until there's an actual closed beta or something, it's anyone's guess whether NMS will be good.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I agree with OP regarding Witcher 3. I have loved every Witcher game and the difference and graphical gap between the first and the second was mindblowing to see and never thought possible.

They are reaching for the sky with the third one and I support CDPR all the way that they might be able to pull this off. \

captcha: Believe me.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
For now, The Witcher 3 looks the best. But I'm willing to give Bioware a chance to show off their next Mass Effect simply because I think that Mass Effect 2 is the greatest game of all time.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I'll be all hipster and go with Dwarf Fortress. Been in development for what, 12 years now, and playable for 7? What has been achieved so far already puts it as a high contender for "greatest game ever made", and if even a fraction of the rest of the development goals are ever finished it will become something incredible. Or... more incredible.

Out of the games in that list though, I'd have to go with The Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes was one of the greatest games I've ever played, but it was only a tiny sliver of a game. If The Phantom Pain is a lot more of that (and I have no reason to suspect it won't be), it's certainly going to be one of my favourite games.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Probably Star Citizen, but just because it has the best parts of indie games (no restrictions and no pandering to "broaden the audience") and AAA games (funding). It has potential to be one of the biggest games in history, and I am certainly excited to see where they go with it from here.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
None of them.

To even have potential to be a "great game" I actually need to be able to play it, over the last few years many developers have at the last minute made significant changes to design of their games or cherry-picked elements of their games that are completely unrealistic of what they game will be like.

Heck look at Skyrim to me it was nothing more then a pile of junk that was unplayable for months because of poor development, but if you ask some people it is still the "greatest thing ever made" and for me it wasn't any better then Assassin's Creed Unity when it was first released.

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
I think it's premature to say any game in development will be the "greatest game of all time". Too wide a scope. If it was game of the year, for me, I'd guess Persona 5. That said I'll still wait till I play the game to find out if it's good or not, not to mention games that can come out of nowhere.

Also I hated The Witcher.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Nope. Everyone has different tastes and opinions, there is no such thing as the 'best game ever'. If i had to pick then it would be the Witcher 3 and even so i doubt that i will play it more than twice. As for the rest of this list i doubt that i will even play anything from it, perhaps metal gear and i'm not even sure if i'll like it at all.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Star Citizen in concept, as in if we could make all dreams come true perfectly then they surely would make perfection. But anyone who ever tried to put imagination into practice understands shit doesn't translate so well.

So the one that is most promising to actually exist in it's entirety is Witcher 3, could be butchered, but they had a good grip so far on delivering solid content and even filling in when lacking.

Edit: Also very interesting to see the hype around No Man's Sky, but if anyone played Spore you would already know what to expect. RNG content doesn't mean amazing content, it means filler, endless filler.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Lunncal said:
I'll be all hipster and go with Dwarf Fortress. Been in development for what, 12 years now, and playable for 7? What has been achieved so far already puts it as a high contender for "greatest game ever made", and if even a fraction of the rest of the development goals are ever finished it will become something incredible. Or... more incredible.

Out of the games in that list though, I'd have to go with The Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes was one of the greatest games I've ever played, but it was only a tiny sliver of a game. If The Phantom Pain is a lot more of that (and I have no reason to suspect it won't be), it's certainly going to be one of my favourite games.
Darn, beaten to it. I was going to say that!

--

I could add Gnomoria, which is similar to DF, but it still has some ways to go towards "best game ever".
There is also Predestination and maybe M.O.R.E as well but 4X enthusiast have been burned before.

I was actually really looking forward to Star Citizen...but then I learned about the camera.
Just that single thing makes me unable to play it. Same as the Witcher series.

My vote for greatest game would go to a form of Sci-Fi RPG the encompasses stars and lets you loot enemies and their strongholds/bases, mine and craft, startup factories and rules planets.
A Space 4X Sci-fi RPG basically. Sort of.
Was also really hyped for Mass Effect when I first heard they creating it.

Captcha: "All your base"

Prince of Ales

Nov 5, 2014
Of those listed, No Man's Sky fits the bill the best. Obviously it's exaggerating calling it best-game-ever material, but it's doing something that's not been done before, and I'm eager to see how it's going to turn out.

Of those not listed, maybe Everquest Next? Again I'm not going to be joining any hype trains (how many times have we all been stung by new MMOs?), but it's one of those that I'm going to be watching closely to see the latest developments.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
I usually make a point to not get hyped that much over unreleased games, but out of that list, I'd say Witcher 3 has the most potential. Mostly because I enjoyed the hell out of Witcher 2, beating it 4 times by now and partly because CD Projekt RED is basically the messiah of game developers at this point.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Unrealistically, it would be The Last Guardian (hi Shinji). Realistically, Arkham Knight. The ball is back on Rocksteady's park and they've always knocked it out. I believe in them.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
MysticSlayer said:

I'm mostly with this guy.

Out of the list, the only game that interests me is Persona 5, but even then I've always been a bigger fan of the main Megaten series - Lucifer's Call all the way, baby - than the Persona spin-offs.

As for games with a 2015 release date that aren't on the list... Not many games have caught my eye. I liked Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, so I expect Arkham Knight to be enjoyable. I'm also curious about the new Ratchet & Clank game: on one hand, I love me some R&C; on the other, I don't want a reboot! Then there's Final Fantasy Type-0, which is apparently a GOOD Final Fantasy game, though I'm not holding my breath. And then there's Xenoblade Chronicles X. A good contender seeing how this game's predecessor was the only reason I bought a freakin' Wii (together with Pandora's Tower and The Last Story). It has its flaws - extremely repetetive optional missions on par with an MMO, painful texture tiling and kind of a sloppy ending - but ultimately I spend over 200 hours on this game, so there's that.

I'm hoping history will repeat itself: if this game ends up being on par with the original Xenoblade Chronicles while also working away the kinks, I'm buying myself a Wii U.