Poll: Gay Main Character

Om Nom Nom

Feb 13, 2010
Depends on how they're presented. If it's shoved in your face, no. If it's more an incidental feature of the character and not made a big deal of (as in, you could be forgiven for not noticing for most of the game), then definitely yes.

Stone Wera

Feb 13, 2010
Pararaptor said:
I would fucking love a game with a flamboyantly queer, make-up wearing, lisping, flirting-with-everyone gay protagonist.

Just plain gay protagonists would be fine too, but I want that queen at least once!
Don't we all?

Anywho, it'd be better if the player had the choice of who to woo. Then the player would probably woo everything in sight... Like on a factory assembly line or something.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Josdeb said:
theklng said:
bruein said:
Is there any games that actually have a gay main character? That arn't BL. It seems kind of weird that you see a lot of games about saving the girl so I would think they would change it up to make it more unique or something. Do you think their should me more homosexual characters?
it would be gimmicky. why would there be a reason to point out a character's sexuality at all?
Believe it or not, a character's sexuality comes up a LOT. You probably just don't realise it because you consider it the norm. Here are some games that point out the sexuality of the main charcter(s)constantly throughout and make it the focus of their characterisation:

Mario games
Zelda series
Gears of War 2
Bayonetta
Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, etc
Uncharted
Kingdom Hearts
Max Payne
God of War
Heavy Rain

Just because they're straight doesn't mean that any of the romance/character relations involved doesn't count as "sexuality". So yeah, character sexuality is pointed out A LOT. I say it's time for some to be gay relationships.
just because it's pointed out does not mean it has anything worthwhile to add to the story, i.e., it's gimmicky.

TheDudeMan14

Aug 13, 2009
Probably very little games have this. Most game developers want to see the main character have sex with the hot female supporting character. Most people that play games, probably like that formula too. I think a homosexual main character would be a very unique idea though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Blue-State said:
Depends. Are we talking Ross Mathews gay or Sr Ian McKellen gay?
Hey man, a swashbuckling Ian McKellen?! I would so play that!

Honestly, I don't think I've ever even seen a movie in wich a gay main character isn't only gay because his problems are albout him struggling with his gayness (plus, it's a good way to get nominated for an Oscar).

jowo96

Jan 14, 2010
Josdeb said:
theklng said:
bruein said:
Is there any games that actually have a gay main character? That arn't BL. It seems kind of weird that you see a lot of games about saving the girl so I would think they would change it up to make it more unique or something. Do you think their should me more homosexual characters?
it would be gimmicky. why would there be a reason to point out a character's sexuality at all?
Believe it or not, a character's sexuality comes up a LOT. You probably just don't realise it because you consider it the norm. Here are some games that point out the sexuality of the main charcter(s)constantly throughout and make it the focus of their characterisation:

Mario games
Zelda series
Gears of War 2
Bayonetta
Uncharted
Kingdom Hearts
Max Payne
God of War
Heavy Rain

Just because they're straight doesn't mean that any of the romance/character relations involved doesn't count as "sexuality". So yeah, character sexuality is pointed out A LOT. I say it's time for some to be gay relationships.
Yeah I was going to make a point how there were very few games that even had anything to do with sexuality but when you think about it most story driven games have atleast hints towards sexuality. Even if it is that you think that your female companion is coming onto you or that the main character has a wife.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Army of Two featured two homosexual mercenaries, but it was only implied. Also, the game wasn't very good.

Sep 17, 2009
Sure why not, as long as it doesn't become the main focus of the story. The character should just be gay and it shouldn't be treated as a big deal.

Wing Dairu

Jul 21, 2010
I'd say yes, but not in the sense that their homosexuality needs to be brought attention to.
Now, give them a SINGLE cutscene where they make a SINGLE reference to their own sexual orientation, and that's good.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
theklng said:
Josdeb said:
theklng said:
bruein said:

Mario games
Zelda series
Gears of War 2
Bayonetta
Uncharted
Kingdom Hearts
Max Payne
God of War
Heavy Rain

just because it's pointed out does not mean it has anything worthwhile to add to the story, i.e., it's gimmicky.
You're kidding right?

The only reason Mario trounces through the Muchroom Kingdom is because he wants to save his love interest
The same applies to Link, who is only trying to same his girlfriend
Dom from Gears of War is propelled by the thought of resucing his wife
The source of almost ALL of Bayonetta's humor comes from her outright sexiness
Final Fantasy is almost ALWAYS about protecting the one they love
Uncharted has a romantic sub-plot, so thats a bit gimmicky
The whole point of Kingdom Hearts is to rescue Sora's girlfriend
Max Payne's whole motivation is avenging the death of his wife
As is Kratos'
Heavy Rain's main character is a man, with a wife and children.

So yeah, I would say it isn't gimmicky, I'd say the entire BASIS of the story comes from the character's heterosexual sexuality.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Josdeb said:
You're kidding right?

The only reason Mario trounces through the Muchroom Kingdom is because he wants to save his love interest
The same applies to Link, who is only trying to same his girlfriend
Dom from Gears of War is propelled by the thought of resucing his wife
The source of almost ALL of Bayonetta's humor comes from her outright sexiness
Final Fantasy is almost ALWAYS about protecting the one they love
Uncharted has a romantic sub-plot, so thats a bit gimmicky
The whole point of Kingdom Hearts is to rescue Sora's girlfriend
Max Payne's whole motivation is avenging the death of his wife
As is Kratos'
Heavy Rain's main character is a man, with a wife and children.

So yeah, I would say it isn't gimmicky, I'd say the entire BASIS of the story comes from the character's heterosexual sexuality.
i'm not kidding, it's like you said: it's all about their love interest. and that's the thing: we don't need to concretize it any more than this. it doesn't matter who the love interest is, because it's not part of the point. the point is what they are doing for said love interest.

so there you have it: it would be gimmicky to change who the love interest is. mario could save a gay guy from a castle and he would still be doing it out of love. i think i just disproved your argument in all possible ways, and in some that are essentially impossible.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
theklng said:
i'm not kidding, it's like you said: it's all about their love interest. and that's the thing: we don't need to concretize it any more than this. it doesn't matter who the love interest is, because it's not part of the point. the point is what they are doing for said love interest.

so there you have it: it would be gimmicky to change who the love interest is. mario could save a gay guy from a castle and he would still be doing it out of love. i think i just disproved your argument in all possible ways, and in some that are essentially impossible.
You aren't making sense anymore.

You literally said that sexuality has nothing "worthwhile to add to the story". Now you're saying that actually, yes, sexuality is the basis of the story. First off, make up your mind?

Secondly, and I'm quoting you here, "it doesn't matter who the love interest is, because it's not part of the point". So, according to you, changing the gender wouldn't make a difference to the story or game. So why not have Mario save a guy from the castle? If it changes nothing in the game, why not show a bit of equality?

Also, here's something to think about: Would it be gimmicky to have a black main character? By your stream of thinking we should completely remove all black characters from games.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Sure, as long as the character is compelling and well rounded, I could give two rats' asses as to he/she has sex with.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
SleepyOtter said:
The character shouldn't be a walking stereotype but obvious that their gay.
(Gay Tony from GTA:BoGT was good)
Yeah, Gay Tony was a homosexual character who was amusing and likeable enough.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Josdeb said:
You aren't making sense anymore.

You literally said that sexuality has nothing "worthwhile to add to the story". Now you're saying that actually, yes, sexuality is the basis of the story. First off, make up your mind?
no, you misunderstand. i said the LOVE INTEREST was part of the story, not the sexuality. i made up my mind long ago. if you're going to argue, at least get the facts straight.

Secondly, and I'm quoting you here, "it doesn't matter who the love interest is, because it's not part of the point". So, according to you, changing the gender wouldn't make a difference to the story or game. So why not have Mario save a guy from the castle? If it changes nothing in the game, why not show a bit of equality?
because it's gimmicky. there is never going to be equality in showing one gender sexuality over another. that's why personally i'd rather see no gender sexuality in games at all than i would see the promotion of any kind of sexuality over another. people should be able to imagine their own gender roles, not be forced upon any. not only that, but i predict that if we ever get a gay protagonist (any gender), they will sell less because people can't relate.

Also, here's something to think about: Would it be gimmicky to have a black main character? By your stream of thinking we should completely remove all black characters from games.
why would you emphasize the fact that he's black? it's a gimmicky move. it's like saying "HEY WE ARE SPECIAL AND DIVERSE AND NOT RACISTS BECAUSE WE FEATURE A PROTAGONIST THAT IS BLACK, NOT BECAUSE OUR GAME IS ACTUALLY ANY GOOD". it removes focus from what matters: the game. he is a man, nothing less, nothing more. you just don't pull the race card unless you're a goddamn racist.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
theklng said:
When I take part in a debate, argument or anything similar, I like to think that both I and my opponent can remain civil. I certainly hope that this is the case here, because otherwise your accusation of me as a racist is, frankly, insulting. Racism and discrimination are repulsive. No, really. If you have never been discriminated against, at least not in a major sense, then you are lucky. Do you know what it is like to walk down a street afraid to hold hands with your partner for fear of being bashed? Because I do, and I would not want to wish that kind of irrational hatred upon anyone be it because they are gay, black or whatever. Racism is vile, and for you to accuse me of being it makes me sick. Chances are you will now pull back on your accusation, but you and I both know what you implied when you wrote your last reply.

But allow me to return to the real topic. Perhaps I should make clear my stance on the "black main character" point I made. Allow me to convey to you a simple truth: Human beings have skin colors. Shocking, I know. Now, the point you responded to me with was, "Why would you emphasize the fact that he's black? It's a gimmicky move". I never said to emphasize the "blackness" of a character. I simply asked you if having a black character would count as gimmicky, because up until now, you have implied as much. Now, I disagree with you. Say we had 100 games in front of us. I would like to see some diversity within the main characters of these games, so I'd like to see 50 non-white protagonists. According to you, it would be gimmicky for a game to feature a black protagonist as it would be the attempt of a developer to hide the fact their game is bad behind the skin color of their main character. So what would you rather then? Because now all I can see is 100 games with white-as-snow characters. Where is the diversity? Where is the equality? All gone for the sake of the game not being "gimmicky".

So why did I even bring up the point of non-white main characters? It was to show the parallel between black discrimination (a now widely accepted form of persecution) and the absence of gay characters. You've made it clear that your classification of gimmick extends to having a character different from the straight, white male, but you've also added that "he is a man, nothing less, nothing more". Like I said before, that's wonderful to think, but people DO have skin colour and when designing a game the main character must be assigned one. Why not have a healthy mix of color?

Now let's extend this point. Let's have a healthy mix of sexuality. Again, I must stop to clarify something here: You call me out on my ignorance of your definition of love interest, yes, sexuality, no; yet you seem to be completely overlooking the basics of this argument: Sexuality is the foundation of the love interest plotline. Let's explore why it is not I who has overlooked our viewpoints on this topic.

Sexuality is "that which is characterized or distinguished by sex; sexual activity; the concern with, or interest in sexual activity; sexual potency; sexual orientation; sexual identity, gender; sexual receptivity" (Thanks to Wikitionary for the definition). Not allow me to point out a section of that: interest in sexual activity. This, on a rather crude level, equates to the purpose of a love interest - the entire concept of love is based upon or instincts regarding sexual attraction and reproduction. This is another truth of the world.

Now allow me to re-quote you: "I said the LOVE INTEREST was part of the story, not the sexuality". See how this makes no sense? Mario wouldn't even have the concept of love without his heterosexuality, and yet apparently you would want to see it removed. So that leaves Mario with no motivation to rescue Peach beyond civic duty which, while satisfactory for a NES game, wouldn't hold up in the story-lines of modern games which have come to expect adventure, courage and a dash of romance. So while you go on about it not mattering what the gender of the love interest is, you maintain that you are against the idea of a gay main character because the sexuality involved is "gimmicky", as is any sexuality in a game. Apparently your idea of "love interest" occurs between emotionless robots.

And regarding your point of people not being able to relate to gay characters: I guess that means that people would be unable to relate to a female main character. Or having a character from ancient Japan. Or having an alien as a main character. Oh no, wait, I'm pretty sure there are countless games like that which have all sold well. Just because it is different, doesn't mean it automatically subtracts from the overall quality of the game.

Now my final point: Remember that games are a story-telling medium, like books and movies. Without a variety of stories and situations, the medium becomes stagnant and boring. Maybe I don't want to experience a story about the same, bring life I experience everyday; maybe I want to experience a story where I play as an alien conquering a far-off planet. Perhaps I want to be a ninja silently taking out my enemies. Or maybe the story of the day is about a man, who after a day of monster hunting and treasure discovering comes home to his husband?