Poll: Gay Main Character

Eddikins

Jul 1, 2010
I would love it to have a gay main character, just because it would show more acceptance in society.
A good way to do it would be to drop subtle hints or say if it was a gritty kind of game, have the character meet up with a man and give the impression they are going all the way without showing it in depth.

of course in this day and age a lot of people wouldnt touch a game like that, being gay myself i dont see the reason why this is, but thats me being bias because of who i am.

But, when im sat playing mario, im not constantly wishing peach was a man or anything. I just work with what im given so to speak.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Most has been said already.
If its Part of the Plot, and essential, great, something new.
Open games like RPGS should let you choose.
But just producing "Big Gay Al's Fun House for Homosexual Animals: The Gayme " for the sake of it doesnt really have to be made.

Broken Boy

Apr 10, 2010
I would like the choice at least. It would be really nice in the character creation to have a straight, gay, lesbian & bisexual option. I'm not saying work a story around it just that depending on the selection NPC's personalities could be skewed to work with which option is selected.

Jeremy Skitz

Jul 1, 2009
To be honest I always thought most final fantasy characters other than cloud and squall were gay, scratch that, most JRPG characters were gay.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
I wouldn't really care as long as they weren't an in your face about it kind of gay

But considering how many children play games they don't meet the age rating for it is highly unlikely a gay protaganist will make it past devolpment

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
As long as there aren't long and detailed sex scenes along with it, I'd be fine. And that could be implied, it would just be awkward to watch.

LondonBeer

Aug 1, 2010
No one cares. Its posts like this that make people think gay people are all pink shirt wearing 'queens'.

Pay attention to my sexuality cause its important to me has the same validity as why arent there more Christian/Muslim/PETA/FSM games.

How about the gay person playing the game accepts that other people live different lifestyles and in this particular computer game his avatar is heterosexual. Or go play an MMO where you dictate your characters role in the world.

I mean I dont mind spreading religions when I play 4X games to acheive 'game' success.

Almgandi

Nov 10, 2008
I dont really care if my main character enjoys penis or vagina ; as long as they are humorous/a prick or in general have a good character; though I wouldnt like to play as a girly man

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Yes, I would. Romance tends to work its way into the video game narrative, so why not homosexual relationships?
Hell, if immersion is the problem, then they could just add a gender/orientation checklist at the beginning. In fact, I'm going to add that to that one game I'm making at school. Thanks, Escapist!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Unless they're actually going to use it for a bit of decent character building, rather than having them the archetypal 'Grizzled Soldier', or whatever, there's no fucking point.
joshuaayt said:
Yes, I would. Romance tends to work its way into the video game narrative, so why not homosexual relationships?
Hell, if immersion is the problem, then they could just add a gender/orientation checklist at the beginning. In fact, I'm going to add that to that one game I'm making at school. Thanks, Escapist!
This is more or less my view on it - I just don't think it should matter if it's for some complete bollocks arbitrary reason.
Oh, and nice idea! :D

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I wouldn't mind the slightest playing a gay protagonist or seeing gay characters in-game, and if there's voluntary romance options they should definitely feature equal opportunity as have been the trend of late.

If he/she was overly sexualized, in a way that didn't fit the character and/or setting/plot of the game, naturally I wouldn't like it, but that would go for a straight protagonist/character as well - i.e. If Ratchet & Clank suddenly decided to go to the Red Light district planet, count me out well before I saw what way(s) they swung.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Gay characters in a game would just be a gimmick, I really don't care about the sexuality of a character in a game so why bother making a conscious decision to make him gay?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Ehh, I wouldn't mind it, but if it was from BioWare, hell no. A bland boring RPG filled with gay sex scenes? *shivers*

Teh_Lemon

Sep 5, 2008
Shudmeyer said:
Or if there was just a game about a girl saving the princess and living happily ever after. That would be nice too.
Actually, I'm sure a LOT of people would love that idea. I'm surprised that hasn't been done yet.

JimJamJahar

Dec 18, 2009
The problem would be that it would sell well amongst whiny kids that say "Herp, derp, derp! He's a fag. I'm not playing that game, that would make me gay"

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Serenegoose said:
Dys said:
Why should I care about the sexual preferences of the protagonist (outside of a sex game, in which case I have no business playing a gay role)? I can't see it ever being anything more than an annoying, tacky cry for attention. In an RPG where the choice is up to the player, I can (and have) seen it done effectively, but I see no reason for Gordan Freeman, Lara Croft or the Master Chief to suddenly, inexplicably announce their homosexuality.
It's simple, really. Quick example. In Dead Space, one of Isaac's primary motivations is to find Nicole, his lover. Well, there you go. He's just gone and announced his heterosexuality. (or bisexuality, but we don't know, do we?)

It's not an inexplicable announcement of heterosexuality, it simply is. There's no reason that a gay character can't have the same kind of treatment of their orientation.
Exactly, we don't explicitely know his sexuality, it is deliberately left uncontentious because it's irrelevent.

The whole point of dead space is to be a horror game, not to emphasize the personal relationships between the player and others. The "go and save loved one" plot device is relatively weak, but it is generic and does the job adequately. What possible motivation could a developer have for inviting the inevitable media shitstorm that will follow after the inclusion of a gay protagonist, especially in a game where inter character relationships play such a minor role?

It would be stupid to include a gay protagonist, whose only reason for being gay is to appease those who feel gay heroes are under represented in mainstream media. If gays are to be represented in games, then for fucks sake include them, don't just slap on an "I'm gay" sticker on their back and excpect anyone with any sense to take it seriously.

Fucking hell, why can't we be happy with sensible gay characters (ala gay tony from GTA) and let society move forward slowly rather than obnoxiously throwing kindling on the fire that is the ignorants hatred of all things different.

esin

Feb 17, 2010
JimJamJahar said:
The problem would be that it would sell well amongst whiny kids that say "Herp, derp, derp! He's a fag. I'm not playing that game, that would make me gay"

Don't worry, we'll survive somehow. From an artistic perspective It just sounds spineless not to produce something because you won't please everyone. Movies featuring gays have been successful. Video games can too. Just a matter of being handled with finesse.

Rewold

Mar 18, 2010
If I remember correctly 10% of ppl are gay. In that sense 90% of people couldn't relate to the character as to they would to a straight person. That said, I have nothing against it if someone wants to choose a gay character. But can developers make a character that is gay but isn't a big stereotype?