Poll: Getting a Nintendo 3DS soon. Standard or XL?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I cant stand the regular, its so small and runs out of battery so fast however it is more portable and fits in the pocket easier. But the XL is comfy, doesnt give me cramps in my hand, battery lasts a couple of hours longer, but also i dont usually take my 3DS around i just leave it at home so i dont care about portability.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I have the XL, there's no obvious loss in quality on the screen. The larger screen is nicer and the battery is better.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I sport a crystal white 3DS and it's suited me fine, when a friend bought his Red XL for when Pokemon X-Y came out I wasn't thrilled by the massive size of it and I'm rather glad I stuck with my regular 3DS.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
The XL, no question.

Even if you don't have the niggling feeling at first, with the regular 3DS, at some point one of your friends or some guy on the bus is going to have the XL, you're going to see it and you'll immediately regret your decision.

I bought the 3DS before the XL was released and as soon as I saw my friends with the XL I sold my regular and bought an XL, I love the XL so much I even bought another 2. (Upgraded from the red XL to the Limited edition Zelda one, and also bought an NA XL for releases we don't get over here)

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
I have an XL, it's a big improvement over the original. Its true that its bulky and a bit too big to be considered truly portable but playing on it feels oh so nice. I personally think the XL is better in every way :)

J-Dig

Oct 25, 2011
The difference in comfort means my XL actually gets played lots. I have small hands but still sold my original 3DS before the XL was announced, it just hurt.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I'd say the XL. Besides what has been already said, the plastic used for the XL doesn't get nearly as dirty and greasy as the original 3DS.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
XL. I have used both, the XL is better unless you need it to be in your pocket constantly (just put it in a bag!)

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I have an original and I bought an XL a couple of months back, but returned it because the screen just seemed so much more blurry than the original.

Maybe it's not a problem if you haven't been using an original 3DS a lot, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
my original 3DS was bought for me as a surprise by my wife, and although i originally thought not having the XL was silly, i realized that the original is just easier to carry around. it's the same size as my galaxy-esque phone (just 2x as thick) and fits nicely in my pockets, and i mean, there is still room for other objects and it does't look like i'm carrying a tablet in my pants.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Do you have big hands? If so, get the XL. But if you do, keep in mind the games are made with the regular 3DS model in mind so when playing them the bigger screen can show it a little bit more pixely (not that much though).

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Generally I suggest the XL over the regular 3DS as the price difference isn't huge but the size and feel of the device is. Ideally though, I'd suggest trying both and seeing which you like, but when that isn't possible I stick by the suggestion for the XL.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
XL would be the on to get unless you're like me, being stereo-blind I didn't see the point in paying for a feature I could never use. But then the 2DS came out and was half the price of an XL over her, so yeah, was totally worth it :D

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Aerosteam said:
Do you have big hands? If so, get the XL. But if you do, keep in mind the games are made with the regular 3DS model in mind so when playing them the bigger screen can show it a little bit more pixely (not that much though).
This exactly. Besides the fact that it's incredibly bulky, the screen resolution is just the same as the original 3DS blown up, which makes the games look far worse. Overall, comfort is more important, so I recommend trying out both and going with what makes you feel the most comfortable, since the price difference is mostly negligible.