Poll: Girlfriends: Are they worth the effort?

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Thomas Rembrandt said:
It seems nowadays, that everywhere I go on the internet people seem eager to "advise" me (or the reader) to get a life, to get laid or to find yourself a girl.
So, you asked the internet for advice with this problem? Either you're desperate for internet approval, or haven't yet come to the conclusion that your happiness isn't derived from other people.

That said, having a girlfriend has been a very fulfilling experience for me personally. Of course it's difficult - nothing worthwhile is ever perfect from the get-go. Having someone who sticks up for you because they want to is one of the most satisfying things I've ever known. Whether you're hetero or homo, the type of companionship you get from a romantic relationship far outweighs the immediate benefit of sex.

Since you're asking, my advice is that you start by talking to girls - in person. You can find them pretty much anywhere, and as long as you don't treat them like meat, eventually you'll find one that can't seem to get enough of you. Look in places where they expect to be social - the pharmacy section at the grocery store is not one of them. Try produce, or the checkout lanes. Better yet, take up an activity that you find interesting; try an art class or something. That way, you have something to talk about other than coupons and fresh melon.

RagingScottsman

Jul 21, 2009
I was going to vote "no" but there's not an option for that.

Anyway, girlfriends very rarely are, but paradoxically vaginas almost always are.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Hi, I'm John Zepren. I'm here today to present to you the findings of a series of experiments that we conducted here at the University of Zepren's Imagination.

When speculating on "worth" you need to weigh up what you count as worthy. If the return on capital you invested is measured in free sex, then a girlfriend is definitely worth it. The start up capital can be large but they are pretty easy to sustain over time. As long as they keep paying back, you should be ok. If you find that they are costing you a lot, you should compare the cost and the quality of their put out to the cost and quality of a hooker. If the hooker is more cost effective, you may want to switch out.

You may view worth as love and money returned to you in the form of gifts. If this is your angle, a girlfriend is definitely the way to go.

I hope this was helpful.

Professor John Zepren PhD.

John Zepren is a young university professor from Scotland who is currently in day 3 of a 3 week period of prolonged agony while he waits to find out for sure if the almighty pill worked. He is currently preparing a lawsuit against Durex which he'll most likely lose.

ultracheeser

Jul 2, 2009
every single one I've experienced have brought nothing but trouble in the end. No matter how happy you think you are, it is NEVER worth it.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Though the emotional investment is totally worth it, but having a girlfriend just isn't economically sound. You have to pay for dinner, the movie, drive her home and then she thinks about fucking you. It's like she just sucker punched you wallet. Luckily, I'm not an economics major.

Feraele

Mar 31, 2010
It seems to me if you need to ask the question to millions of strangers, then perhaps..you aren't ready to "have a girlfriend" just yet. :)

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Rafe said:
I personally prefer being single and having drunken fun in clubs every weekend.
This view point is actually surprisingly valid.

Certainly more helpful than "I prefer being single because relationships suck/are expensive/take time." Who doesn't enjoy drunken fun?

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
if you find the right girl, there's no effort involved. and that is better than no girl at all.

Feb 13, 2008
Kindergarten: Yes, as long as you understand they're yucky and play with dolls.
High School: No, you're on a losing side before you begin due to maturity.
College/University: Depends...
Work: NO NO NO
Pubs/Bar: Depends, how much have you had to drink?
Outside Work: Best thing in the world. :)

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Dodgy said:
Cpu46 said:
My parents are going crazy because I have never gone out with a girl. My problem is that I dont want to go out with a girl who passionately hates my hobbies and sadly most of the girls I knew in high school hated video games with a passion and wouldn't even give me the time of day (most of them were dumb "Video games cause violence cause the man on TV said so!" girls), the other girls who actually liked games were completely bat-shit insane or in a relationship already.
So here I am, a freshman in college, waiting to meet a nice gamer Girl.
Just read what you just wrote. You don't want to go out with a girl because she doesn't like VIDEO GAMES! Read it out loud.

Why does she need to like it? It's just a hobby. It's not because you're a swimmer that she has to be in the pool with you does she? Or if she likes to watch romantic comedies that you have to be there on the couch watching it with her.
No, thats not what I said... Ok maybe what I said implied that. But I also said that the girls HATED video games with a passion and most were as dumb as a rock and stubborn as well. THEY wouldnt go out with ME because of my hobby. I would be happy to go out with a girl who was indifferent to video games but I would prefer to go out with someone who shares my hobby.

dorkette1990

Mar 1, 2010
As a girl, I think I'm actually reverse effort. I clean and cook every night for my boyfriend, and my only requirement is that he puts away his own laundry (he's more prissy about it than I am, sadly). Other than that, we play video games (and make video games) together all the time.
Then again, I've seen TERRIBLE girls before, so they're definitely not worth the effort (or the ones that kill their guys slowly inside, shudder)

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Reading all these successful stories is depressing. Eh whom I kidding, I don't even have a failed story. My advice: if you've got the goods, go for it. If you don't, you'll end up miserable for the rest of your life. And that's one of the reasons why I hate society.

Vestsao

Aug 24, 2009
The problem with the internet is that it's very probable that a lot of people who say ''No it's not,'' are most likely the people who have the most difficulty with communication and would probably come off as an unlikeable bloke. So instead of saying ''Well I can't really do it, but you should try,'' They try to make it seem as if it doesn't effect them and that it doesn't matter, but it does.

It's integral to human genetics and everything about us to have a partner. It may be that you need a bit of kick-off to get going but every human wants to find ''their other half'' and it's something that only those who've tried, and failed at who spread the idea that it isn't. But even they shouldn't give up hope.

So yes, it is worth the effort. Rejection and ''failing'' will always come at the start for the vast majority of everyone who tries, but eventually you'll find someone who is genuinely your ''other half.'' Don't be one of those people who give up at the beginning after one rejection and toss the whole concept out of the window.