Poll: Give up Human Form: If you had this option, would you take it?

Cheshire Cat

Sep 26, 2008
I'd choose to go for something along the lines of the nano-augmented superhuman the is JC Denton in the original Deus Ex game. You'd still have full human body function and appearance, but you'd also be faster, stronger, more resistant to damage and highly adaptable to different situations.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
For me it depends on the context. Although I voted yes it would not allways be the case.

If the options were something like Vamp or human. It would be Vamp 100% (assuming real vampire). Yet if it were something like becoming a moth or another animal it would be a big flat no.

To me after thinking about it I believe that I may have worked out the reason. And that reason would amount to freedom. If becoming something would allow me to have more freedom in the long run and/or gives me a series of advantages. Then I would in an instant.

So For vamp as I said before I would do. Yet warewolf I probably wouldn't. for a vamp I have to admit sucking blood would be a pain. And so the lack of sunlight. yet there are workarounds. EG I could probably find a girl to suck the blood off but not enough to kill or I could steal blood packs from hospitals. Solved. Not much of an inconvenience. Also as human civilisation is becoming increasingly nocturnal the lack of sun wouldn't bother me. And Finally as an Athiest I must laugh at the thought of a cross or church being necessary to avoid. Therefore the sudden imortallity would be worth it.

Alien. Similar thougth process. Do advantages outway disadvantages. If so then most likely. Same with cybernetics and biological augmentations. But if not. Then not a chance.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
If I could, I'd be a shapeshifter, no doubt about it. As for what I'd so with it, well, let's just say I'd have some fun with this ability...

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
jboking said:
CulixCupric said:
Then just a river otter then. although, I'd have to figure out how to speak english, eh, I've seen a dog do it, wonder if an otter could produce human speech in english. communication would be my first problem, so river otter with human vocal cords(?)
I think if you are trying to be legit, you'd have to enjoy being a river otter in all your river ottery goodness. Meaning, no human language. However, if you DID speak english, you would be praised as a god.
eh, my mom's dogs learned to talk, so an otter that was human learning English doesn't seam that far-fetched to me.

as to the ottery goodness: i'm already nocturnal, love shellfish, meat, berries, and have the cheery playful personality, and when I talk it's all chattery, so... yeah, it would mostly just be a physical change for me. kind of why I like otters, I can really relate with them.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
CulixCupric said:
mega48man said:
You're right, and have some valid, however what about people who are already alienated, and sometimes sacrifices are needed. in my opinion, humanity, as in being of the human species, is overrated. this lands in philosophy territory though. I've studied animal and human behavior, and all mammal species exhibit all human behaviors to some degree, and vise-verse. I don't really see a different in consciousnesses, just DNA.
yay i love philosophy

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, excellent point. all i have to say to that is Prototype, edward scissorhands, x-men (best example there), and plastic surgery (LOL). back to x-men, sure people are still people and it's what's inside that counts, but being alienated for something as crazy as...having claws or a long blue tail...would drive anyone into deep thought about what they are, no matter how much of a nice person they are inside.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
OP cheats in his first post, so I'm going to follow suit.
but, what would my primary shifting shapes be?

Well, there's the character I invented for my own stories which I still haven't got to writing get off my case Michael!
A werewolf would be cool, obviously, but a note; one that actually looks like a werewolf. None of that Underworld "oh we designed the werewolves to look more like cats" nonsense, or the recent Twilight 'just really big dogs' cack. A proper werewolf.
And a minotaur.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
CulixCupric said:
jboking said:
CulixCupric said:
Then just a river otter then. although, I'd have to figure out how to speak english, eh, I've seen a dog do it, wonder if an otter could produce human speech in english. communication would be my first problem, so river otter with human vocal cords(?)
I think if you are trying to be legit, you'd have to enjoy being a river otter in all your river ottery goodness. Meaning, no human language. However, if you DID speak english, you would be praised as a god.
eh, my mom's dogs learned to talk, so an otter that was human learning English doesn't seam that far-fetched to me.
Hold up. When you say talk, do you mean the dog occasionally kinda sounds like it is saying words, or do you mean I could hold an enlivened debate with it?
as to the ottery goodness: i'm already nocturnal, love shellfish, meat, berries, and have the cheery playful personality, and when I talk it's all chattery, so... yeah, it would mostly just be a physical change for me. kind of why I like otters, I can really relate with them.
Just physical? Sir or Madam, how much do you like the internet? Video games? as an otter you would likely have little to no access to these things and many more. I tend to judge this issue based around the real world, so otters tend to not talk (at least not when I'm around, the bastards), usually are wild, do not play around on the internet, etc. and I simply would not want to live in that way. I may be an introvert, but I appreciate the things I have.

westcoast1313

Aug 31, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and say yes as long as i get to be tranfered either to Mass Effect universe to be Mirandas underwear :p
or the Warhammer 40,000 universe to be a Space Marine for the Grey Knights blasting Daemons all day and night in the name of the Holy-God Emperor.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
jboking said:
Loop Stricken said:
And a minotaur.
Ohhhh! You should stalk the halls of a secluded house.
I never leave the one I'm in as it is...
westcoast1313 said:
I'm gonna go ahead and say yes as long as i get to be tranfered either to Mass Effect universe to be Mirandas underwear :p
or the Warhammer 40,000 universe to be a Space Marine for the Grey Knights blasting Daemons all day and night in the name of the Holy-God Emperor.
As much as I like 40k, anyone wishing to LIVE there is an idiot.

westcoast1313

Aug 31, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
jboking said:
Loop Stricken said:
And a minotaur.
Ohhhh! You should stalk the halls of a secluded house.
I never leave the one I'm in as it is...
westcoast1313 said:
As much as I like 40k, anyone wishing to LIVE there is an idiot.
Well yeah in the Grim Darkness of the Far Future there is only war and all that but its still cool. I mean you have an era-universe where humanity has spread not only to the planets of our system but the whole friggin galaxy. Although the Dark Age Of Technology does sound more tempting because humanity is at the height of its power

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
jboking said:
Hold up. When you say talk, do you mean the dog occasionally kinda sounds like it is saying words, or do you mean I could hold an enlivened debate with it?
They're only 3 years old, so that would be diffifcult. no, i can't hold a debate with them, but they know and can say simple phrases like "I love you", "Momma", "I want one" (usually when begging), and we also had a cat who would say "outside" when he wanted out, as he couldn't open the door himself, no thumbs, and "inside" when he was out wanting in. most words in english are difficult for non-humans due to lack of human vocal cords, but they can manage a few, and seem to understand the meaning to some extent, similar to parrots.
Just physical? Sir or Madam, how much do you like the internet? Video games? as an otter you would likely have little to no access to these things and many more. I tend to judge this issue based around the real world, so otters tend to not talk (at least not when I'm around, the bastards), usually are wild, do not play around on the internet, etc. and I simply would not want to live in that way. I may be an introvert, but I appreciate the things I have.
it's sir. eh, if i ended up as an otter in the real world, I'd still live where I do, and otters have thumb, so I'm sure I could still use the internet. I'm talking about giving up just human form, not my entire life.

mega48man said:
yay i love philosophy

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, excellent point. all i have to say to that is Prototype, edward scissorhands, x-men (best example there), and plastic surgery (LOL). back to x-men, sure people are still people and it's what's inside that counts, but being alienated for something as crazy as...having claws or a long blue tail...would drive anyone into deep thought about what they are, no matter how much of a nice person they are inside.
people tend to fear what they don't understand, hence "Cthulhu Fhtagn" leads to Insanity, at least in the books.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Let's see, one one hand you have infinite power, on the other hand you have jack shit. Tough, but I'm gonna go with infinite power.

I'd be an omnipotent deity and reincarnate myself as an immortal vampire(Ala Sorin Markov, of Magic the Gathering fame)

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
CulixCupric said:
jboking said:
They're only 3 years old, so that would be diffifcult. no, i can't hold a debate with them, but they know and can say simple phrases like "I love you", "Momma", "I want one" (usually when begging), and we also had a cat who would say "outside" when he wanted out, as he couldn't open the door himself, no thumbs, and "inside" when he was out wanting in. most words in english are difficult for non-humans due to lack of human vocal cords, but they can manage a few, and seem to understand the meaning to some extent, similar to parrots.
That seems very...limited. Would you want to be an otter that can occasionally mutter "I love you"?
it's sir. eh, if i ended up as an otter in the real world, I'd still live where I do, and otters have thumb, so I'm sure I could still use the internet. I'm talking about giving up just human form, not my entire life.
But you wouldn't be able to maintain a human life. You wouldn't be able to work, so you wouldn't be able to pay bills, so they'd take it away and you'd be left with THE WILD! Giving up human form more than likely leads to you giving up your entire life.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Make me a shape shifter, then I will show the world true terror, immagine furnature killing people, cars coming to life and deciding to go for a swim with the doors locked shut... many FUN ways I could get my revenge... soooo many fun ways.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Shape-shifter without question. Would be every single thing I would want, and it'd change my life :3

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Heck yeah! They say anything, so I'd become everything. Selectively, of course. Being an anything at my whim. Like a tiny, bosom-nested hamster. Or, the shot of whiskey that makes you puke. The electrons that give you enjoyment as you watch the internet. Or, time particles that were once part of the TARDIS. Or, a shiny new computer that doesn't turn on right out of the box. Ha! Or maybe I'd even become the abstract concept of irony, for awhile.