Poll: GOG's D&D sale. Which game is best?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
With the sale GOG has going on right now on the famous games with the D&D licence (though I've cnever heard of Icewind Dale I wasn't a huge gamer back then anyway)but my question is which one is the best in your opinion. Granted I plan on getting all of them because not getting the cheap one makes me lose money dragonshard looks cool to me and demon stone is only 20 cents more for me (I planed on buying all of the other games on the list already.)

EDIT: Just bought all of them now. Still can't say anything but that so time to start the mass installation of them. First off Planescape Torment.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Hard to say. I, myself have enjoyed Neverwinter Nights the most out of all of them, but I've heard that Planescape: Torment is one of the best story driven RPG's of all time. So...

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
Hard to say. I, myself have enjoyed Neverwinter Nights the most out of all of them, but I've heard that Planescape: Torment is one of the best story driven RPG's of all time. So...
I've heard the same but I've also heard that about the Baldur's Gate games so I figured that they would all have their own devout fanbases and such. Though I just looked up the Icewind Dale games and saw they were made by Black Isle Studios so that explains that game's reviews though I still don't know how famous they really are.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I would vote but since I haven't played them my opinion could hardly count, anyway the one I'm more interested on is Baldur's Gate because I've wanted that game ever since it was new and haven't gotten around to buying it, not sure if I should after about 10 years it will probably disappoint me.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Kaleion said:
I would vote but since I haven't played them my opinion could hardly count, anyway the one I'm more interested on is Baldur's Gate because I've wanted that game ever since it was new and haven't gotten around to buying it, not sure if I should after about 10 years it will probably disappoint me.
Disappoint you for $8? Or $15 for Baldur's Gate 1&2? I would say there are worse ways to spend your money so if you have it to spare I would say go for it. Personally if I had to get one I would get Planescape Torment since it sounds the best to me but I've heard very little in why either are so good so I'm really just going by names and the developers. I just like Obsidian/Black Isle Studios a little more than Bioware now.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
80Maxwell08 said:
Kaleion said:
Disappoint you for $8? Or $15 for Baldur's Gate 1&2? I would say there are worse ways to spend your money so if you have it to spare I would say go for it. Personally if I had to get one I would get Planescape Torment since it sounds the best to me but I've heard very little in why either are so good so I'm really just going by names and the developers. I just like Obsidian/Black Isle Studios a little more than Bioware now.
Yeah but it was like my dream game and I don't think it's going to be how I expect it to be, and anyway I don't have a credit card so this discount kinda makes me sad that I won't be able to buy it, I've always wanted to play these games and now that they are cheap I can't buy them that's kinda lame...

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
The Baldur's Gate series!
Do it!
Now!

I played those games when I was knee-high to an Xbox (which back then, we called N64's) and after buying the collection, I can safely say I was not remembering them with nostalgia tinting everything.

They really are the best RPGs I've ever played.
Bal(l)dur's Gate goes in my mouth now.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
I haven't played all of them, but Planescape Torment was mindblowing when I played it for the first time this year. You won't regret that one.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I haven't played a single one of them... yet. I already have Planescape: Torment from GOG, but I've yet to play it. And this seems like as good a time as any to pick up BG 1&2.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Kaleion said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Kaleion said:
Yeah but it was like my dream game and I don't think it's going to be how I expect it to be, and anyway I don't have a credit card so this discount kinda makes me sad that I won't be able to buy it, I've always wanted to play these games and now that they are cheap I can't buy them that's kinda lame...
Dude you know what I'll buy it for you. Tell me your gog account (or make one) and the one you want and I'll send it to you.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'd put it:
1/ Planescape: Torment, a great story (the best?) if slightly iffy combat, but you don't need to fight too much anyway.
2/ Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 played in the Baldur's Gate 2 engine. Epic, nay, vast storyline with memorable characters and a decent (if somewhat generic compared to PS:T) story. A deserved classic.
3/ Neverwinter Nights Diamond, skip the original campaign it is forgettable dive straight into Shadows of Undrentide, get Deekin as your sidekick and enjoy his Doom song. Even if it doesn't use the AD&D rule set it is still pretty good.
4/ Temple of Elemental Evil, just out of loyalty to Troika. I actually find this a bit soulless as it is purely combat focused and it uses a rule set that I dislike. Icewind Dale is the same only it uses proper AD&D rules.
5 The Rest

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
BG's good, I hear. Never had much luck with getting it to wor-

Go get Planescape right now, why are you still reading this? Play iiiiiiiit.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Cogwheel said:
BG's good, I hear. Never had much luck with getting it to wor-

Go get Planescape right now, why are you still reading this? Play iiiiiiiit.
It's installing at this very moment actually. Very first thing I did after buying them all.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I remember Ice wind dale... I never finished it, i have it here somewhere, and the last i remember of it was making a party of wizards to handle the naga thing boss. I know i walked in spells blazing and then i draw a blank. I can only assume what happened after was so gruesome i blanked it from my mind. Like dragon wars only it didn't suck.
I was like 10 when i played it so don't take it as a test of my gaming merit.

I feel the urge to dig up that old CD case and steam roll the ever loving shit out of that game. Let this be a lesson to game developers; never let boy live if he may take up an axe agaisnt ye.
Well I won't take it as a test of your gaming merit but I do wonder what happened there that made it a blank. Was it so awesome it erased itself from existence like the first Duke Nukem Forever that Yahtzee reviewed a while back or did it do something so infuriating that you removed it so your head wouldn't explode?

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
The original NWN is a great game. Icewind Dales comes in a close second. But the main storyline for NWN and the huge amount of un-official stuff out there is stellar.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
Most people are probably going to say Planescape, but due to my intense hatred of that entire setting, I'm going to have to go with Baldur's Gate, at least until they get their act together and make me a good Ravenloft game damnit

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any...

Planescape Torment. Can someone advise me on how fun this game actually is? I've heard loads about how great the story and characters are, but what of the actual gameplay?

Is it just a grind with a great story tacked on, or is it actually enjoyable? Because I've played a lot of Diablo-style RPGs, and I'm getting pretty tired of the whole grinding loot-fest system.

OT, the only one I've played is Neverwinter Nights, which I remember enjoying quite a bit, despite the lacklustre story. Well, that and Baldur's Gate, but that was much longer ago and I don't really remember it.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Planescape for sure, but you have to be prepared for a lot of reading. Unlike Baldur's Gate, a lot of the dialogue includes voice inflections and descriptions of the NPC's actions. It's more like reading a book than just plain dialogue.

I do remember taking issue with the somewhat clunky UI though. Baldur's Gate was better in the UI department.
Mr Thin said:
I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any...

Planescape Torment. Can someone advise me on how fun this game actually is? I've heard loads about how great the story and characters are, but what of the actual gameplay?

Is it just a grind with a great story tacked on, or is it actually enjoyable? Because I've played a lot of Diablo-style RPGs, and I'm getting pretty tired of the whole grinding loot-fest system.
It's not like Diablo at all. Really, there is little action to speak of, so there is little grinding to be done either. That doesn't mean it sucks though. If you can enjoy diving into the world as it's presented, you don't need it to be "fun". It will just be pure awesome instead.