Poll: Guitarists: Capo or Capo?

samnoxid

Nov 9, 2009
So you know capos right? Those usful tools for barring frets?

Should they be pronounced cape-o or cap-o and which do you pronounce it as?

Also for futher discussion purposes, have you ever improvised and made your own capo? I don't have one so i made one with a pen and head phones...

Also also this is my first thread, i wanted to finally make a thread so i thought of a random topic. Yaay.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Nearest i've come to making a capo is by using my hand when my mate (who can play the guitar and i can't) was trying to play something or other.

samnoxid

Nov 9, 2009
Haha yes i had someone do this for me as well but its a bit impractical having someone hold it for you while you play :)

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I am dutch, and the dutch pronunciation matches the italian one in this case. So Cah-Poh. And as improv capos go, I'm not too creative. I used my own right hand once and justput the distortion really loud so you could hear when I just pressed the strings without picking them.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I tend to say cape-o mainly because when I was first learning the guitar it was how my teacher pronounced it. I've never made an improvised capo I have multiple capos that I tend to leave scattered around the house.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I call it a cape-o, that's how I've always heard it pronounced so I always pronoounce it as such.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Latinidiot said:
I am dutch, and the dutch pronunciation matches the italian one in this case. So Cah-Poh. And as improv capos go, I'm not too creative. I used my own right hand once and justput the distortion really loud so you could hear when I just pressed the strings without picking them.
This, only I'm not dutch.

It means head in Italian, no?
I like pronouncing things like they're pronounced in the language the word is from.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I've heard that it's car-poe. At least in some Italian dialects. Though I pronounce it cah-poe. With a hard `ah' like in `apple'. Just because that's how I've always said it.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Jonluw said:
Latinidiot said:
This, only I'm not dutch.

It means head in Italian, no?
I like pronouncing things like they're pronounced in the language the word is from.
I thought that the italian for head was capote, I don't know, really. It does make sense.

Pronouncing things right is preferable, but not with Cello. As in, Sello, and Tchello. I've said Sello for my entire life, and i'll be buggered before I change it.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Latinidiot said:
Pronouncing things right is preferable, but not with Cello. As in, Sello, and Tchello. I've said Sello for my entire life, and i'll be buggered before I change it.
You say `sello'? And people understand what you're talking about?

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I have never owned a capo but I play guitar and when I mention capos, I pronounce it "cape-o" or "cay-po". "cap-oh" just sounds stupid to me :/.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Lukeje said:
Latinidiot said:
Yes, because every one does. Everyone I've ever met at least.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Latinidiot said:
Lukeje said:
Latinidiot said:
Yes, because every one does. Everyone I've ever met at least.
Strange. I've never heard anyone pronounce it like that. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I always pronounced it K-Poh. I've used a pencil and shoestring as a quick fix for a capo. Just remember to tie a knot you know how to untie, otherwise you have to cut your shoelace.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
samnoxid said:
Also for futher discussion purposes, have you ever improvised and made your own capo? I don't have one so i made one with a pen and head phones...
I made my own instrument that uses a different musical system than Western music, so I guess that sort of counts? Playing with 2p coins is always fun.

OT: CAP-oh.