Poll: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Portal 2

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
MiloP said:
D_987 said:
MiloP said:
Portal 2, I think I definitely enjoyed Portal more overall. I never really got why Half-Life won so many awards - it was just a linear shooter to me.
Because it revolutionized storytelling and character based FPS's...
Not really. It had a fine story, I wouldn't call it revolutionary. What's that? Some evil doer's have taken over the world and its time for a hero who can simply absorb bullets to try and stop them? Yeah, no, I think that's been done before, and I think to call a story revolutionary it should be original.
I wasn't old enough to play the original Half-life, so I found some old review and have quoted them below, I think you'll find my points are justified.

Suffice it to say that Half-Life isn't a great game because of its story; it's a great game because of how it presents that story. From the opening moments of the game to the final showdown (and even beyond) all hell is continually breaking loose, and there is never a moment where you are not seeing things through Freeman's eyes. There are scripted events in the game. There are opening and closing scenes. But they all occur naturally within the game environment. It may sound simple, but it goes a long way toward helping create a believable world.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife/review.html
As I said its how it presents the story, not the story itself.

The characters in Half-Life are incredibly modeled, and their animations and movements are very realistic. The scientists and security guards move like real humans. If a security guard comes upon an alien, he will raise his gun and help you out, attempting to blow it to pieces. Many times however, they are not so lucky, and the alien will rip the guard to shreds. The movements of the military personnel are very good. They move like a solder would, quickly and deadly, carrying a load of ammunition and other supplies on their back. The aliens in the game are one of the best aspects. They come in all different shapes and sizes, and are all modeled differently. The all move in different patterns, and in different ways. Half-Life's creatures have the highest polygon count in a action game to this day.
http://www.gamingexcellence.com/pc/games/3/review.shtml
By character based I meant the way the player interacts with NPC'S.

It was a fantastic game that completely immersed the player.

I have yet to play a more immersive game period. From the word "go", I found myself completely engulfed into the pseudo world that is unfolded before your eyes.

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
*quote D_978* etc.

Its true y'know, I hear there is a new law that says that the minute someone reviews a game, everyone MUST agree with them.

Regardless, I played Half-Life 2 first, and we'll just say I wasn't in it for the story. I'm not saying it wasn't a good game, I just don't think it deserved all the overwhelmingly good press it got. Whilst it had linear gameplay (and, might I add, perhaps THE MOST linear gameply I have ever seen in a game) it did enough things along the way to mix it up.

But the story along the way? I didn't really think it brilliant, and the whole 'never leaving Freeman's eyes' thing never really won me over. And I've never really liked the idea of silent, characterless protagonists (the reason why I never really warmed to the Zelda games). In fact, there you go, its probably the fact that Gordan Freeman HAD NOTHING AT ALL IN THE WAY OF ANYTHING. Apart from guns. I would much rather played as Barney cos at least he could talk...

For a story to be great, it needs to have a memorable main character, which Gordan Freeman is not. The supporting cast might be amazing, but what's the point if it has nothing to support?

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I voted both since you gave me the option to, though i remain hopeful that there will be some mention of the events of portal in episode 3 which could almost make it a sequel within a sequel.
But the sequel i want most is Wild Guns 2 which..... won't happen.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
MiloP said:
*quote D_978* etc.

Its true y'know, I hear there is a new law that says that the minute someone reviews a game, everyone MUST agree with them.

Regardless, I played Half-Life 2 first
I stopped reading after that - how can you have a true opinion about a game and the awards it received at launch when you didn't play it when it was first released?

Also, you might want to actually quote me so I am informed you are replying.

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
D_987 said:
MiloP said:
*quote D_978* etc.

Regardless, I played Half-Life 2 first
I stopped reading after that - how can you have a true opinion about a game and the awards it received at launch when you didn't play it when it was first released?

Also, you might want to actually quote me so I am informed you are replying.
I thought we were talking about Half-Life 2 anyway? Not that it matters, they were pretty bloody similar. And why does not playing it a launch really matter? Something tells me I would've hated Half-Life a bit more if I'd shelled out 40 quid for what is essentially just a rail shooter.

Games are not wine, they do not change as time goes on. My opinion on Half-Life would've been the same had I played it at launch, or if I play it ten years from now. And I've played many games from the same time period that were far better.

Oh, and your opinion can't be that true either, since you even said you were too young to play it.

(Quoted properly for the pleasure of your inbox.)

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
I think Half Life is a bit like Vietnam, you had to be there to understand. So many of the new generation can't see how it was innovative but you have to remember it came out not long after Quake 2 which was the benchmark FPS of the time. Quake 2 was hardly a development from the level of story telling in Wolfenstein.

Sure it's linear, I can't think of an FPS which isn't, but the original Half Life was a revalation in it's time. Half Life 2 was a continuation of the story, a very solid game and more improvements in the way of atmosphere and story telling. Which no other FPSs have matched in my opinion.

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
[Gavo said:
]
The Shade said:
Siris said:
The better question is when will there be a full fledged half life 3?
According to VALVe, never. Just HL2ep3, and they're done with it.
Actually, according to Valve, Episode 3 is the end of the Half-Life 2 story. They hinted at a completely different Half-Life 3, although I have absolutely no idea of what they're going to do.
Why not make it about G-Man?

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
MiloP said:
I thought we were talking about Half-Life 2 anyway?
You consistently called the game Half-life.

Not that it matters, they were pretty bloody similar. And why does not playing it a launch really matter? Something tells me I would've hated Half-Life a bit more if I'd shelled out 40 quid for what is essentially just a rail shooter.
We arn't talking about your personal opinion of the game, we are talking about the awards it received at the time of release.

Games are not wine, they do not change as time goes on.
No, but gameplay, graphics and ideas on innovation do, hence why Half-Life was so innovative for its time - hence the large amount of awards.

My opinion on Half-Life would've been the same had I played it at launch, or if I play it ten years from now.
Invalid statements as you can't honestly know that

Oh, and your opinion can't be that true either, since you even said you were too young to play it.
True, hence why I didn't post my opinion, but rather those who did play it at launch (when 5 - 6 mainly independent game review sites all say the same thing about a game - such as how good Half - Life was - they must be doing something right.

(Quoted properly for the pleasure of your inbox.)
Thanks

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Portal doesn't seem to have much to move onto.

Hopefully, given the end of Portal it will blend the storyline into Half-Life 2.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
I saw that someone proposed a multiplayer game for portal. ANd that's actually a great idea. It sounds awsome. And as far as story goes. They did'nt need a story for CS, did they? Much less Deathmatch.

So it's perfectly plausible

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
Episode 3 for sure. Need damn closure on half life now :|!
and I want to find out who or what the G-man is :|

i would like a new portal but i dont think it would be nearly as good as the first one :)

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
You can trust Valve to make Portal 2 somehow different from the first and hopefully even better xD

H.R.Shovenstuff

Sep 19, 2008
Voted both but really want to see if any of the crackpot episode 3 storyline theories are true.
C'mon Adrian Shepard...