Poll: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Portal 2

Godavari

Aug 6, 2009
I never played Half Life. So Portal 2, definately.
And by the way, are they really making a Portal 2? I didn't know.

cyber druid

Jan 15, 2009
Godavari said:
I never played Half Life. So Portal 2, definately.
And by the way, are they really making a Portal 2? I didn't know.
Same here.Yeah,they are making a sequel.Or possibly a prequel,there are sources saying both so its a little confusing.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
Half Life was cool and all, but Portal 2 is what's really exciting me. The potential is mind-boggling.

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
Half-Life 2: Ep. 3
Portal had a fine ending until recently.
Half-Life still has plenty of loose ends to tie up.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
Episode 3. I'd rather they finished the Half-Life story than made an unneccessary sequel to Portal. Don't get me wrong, I love Portal and am looking foward to Portal 2, but i just think they should finish Half-Life first. Especially since the whole point of the Episodes was to get them out quicker and we have been waiting 2 and a half years since Episode 2.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
I'd rather have Portal 2, but I'd much rather have Half-Life 3 over Portal 2. Getting this "episodic gaming" crap finished would get us closer to that game's release. I'd most like to see both of them. Maybe Valve's "surprise" is another Orange Box? Wishful thinking, I know, but still...

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Portal 2.

The first time I played Half Life 2 it was a slog. Episode 1 was worst. I only really started to get what all the fuss was about in Episode 2. I've come to love the game series as a whole but it took me a good long while to break past the initial barrier.

Portal on the other hand is one of my favourite games of all time. It's funny, fresh, mind bending and there's just nothing else even remotely like it. Even if Portal 2's half as good as the original it will be a DAMN good game.

Sure, I'm impatient to see the final chapter of the HL2 series. But then again it's ultimately just going to be another FPS, however way you look at it. The most I'm looking forward to is the story, which isn't ultimately what I play games for. And in the end it most lightly just going to be a 5 hour experience at most.

Portal 2 however looks like it could be as good, if not possibly better than it's predecessor. The fact that it's set century's after Portal makes for an interesting twist and some drastic conflict between the sleek clinically clean look of those tests unaffected by the passage of time and those that have fallen into disrepair and a jungle like state. Plus the fact that there are two campaigns, one for single player and one for co-op, means that we could be looking at a 20 hour game here, which is pretty fucking strong for linear game without competitive multiplayer.

I think the reason HL2:Ep3 is now more anticipated more than most full games is due to the wait rather than the experience itself. Though at this point if it isn't a full game I'm going to have to take a crowbar to Gabes nuts.

imPacT31

Mar 19, 2008
I am one of the few people who appear to be genuinely uninterested in a sequel for either franchise.

I first played any of the Half Life games with the release of the Orange Box, a product I was more interested in for Team Fortress 2 than its other components, and frankly I think that I dislike it more because of its failure to live up to the years of praise I had seen before I encountered it. Half Life 2 is, in my opinion, just another first person shooter which, while a rounded package itself, has been outdone in every aspect by later titles - even if not strictly all at the same time.

I find it hard to muster an opinion about Portal, it's like a book I've read and subsequently felt no desire to do so again. I don't dislike it but I really didn't find it a particularly memorable experience either. I couldn't pinpoint any one moment in Portal that felt "awesome" and found the conclusion of the game to be a massive anticlimax, although not unduly.

I think my main problem with both of these games is that I don't care for any of the characters whatsoever: I realise it's essentially heresy to speak poorly of Gordon Freeman but what has the Half Life series done, without the use of informed characteristics, to make him anything more than a pair of floating hands in an HEV suit?

While I'm sure I would, eventually, play a sequel to either of these games, I have no great clamouring to see them released.

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
This thread is over a year old, how did it get resurrected?

And I'd say Episode 3, I prefer the Half-Life series.