Poll: Halo: Did anyone actually enjoy fighting the flood?

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Fidelias said:
Um, I didn't mind them. I mean, sure, I liked fighting the Covenant MORE, but that's just because I didn't like the Flood's pure creepiness.(Shut up, they're creepy) I didn't think they were bad to fight at all, just different.

Also, the level they first appear in(I think it was called 343 Guilty Spark) was AWESOME! Definately one of the best levels of any FPS game I can think of. Just so awesome how they managed to change the game from making you feal like a badass one minute, and a very exposed idiot the next.
That's a good point, the sudden appearance of the flood in CE was unexpected and disturbing. I hadn't really thought about it, but you really do feel like a different, weaker, lonelier character in those early flood levels.

Icingdeath

Aug 21, 2009
I enjoyed fighting the Flood in all the games, it was even an interesting part in Halo Wars.
It's been a while so I don't exactly remember them in Combat Evolved,
in 2 I thought they were at there creepiest,
and in 3 I thought they were the most balanced combat-wise.
Also, I thought they were a good break from fighting the Covenant day-in and day-out (it got a bit tiresome at times).

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
My Halo terminology is a bit rusty. Are the Flood the headcrab rip-offs? If yes, that's when I stopped playing the game. So I guess I didn't enjoy them.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Kakulukia said:
My Halo terminology is a bit rusty. Are the Flood the headcrab rip-offs? If yes, that's when I stopped playing the game. So I guess I didn't enjoy them.

.......ok i know alot of people have done it and yes halo does have a few things that rip off half life but the flood is not one of them. If they ripped off anything it was zombies and lets face it EVERYONE has done that:)

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
I liked the flood and thought they were a great change of pace and forced the player to adapt on the fly to a new enemy. They were just grossly misused.

A lot of players hate the library for its monotony and repetition. I think that's where most of the flood hate really comes from, it just got old and boring after the first fifteen minutes or so. Same goes for the next two levels, too, especially since they were old levels revisited flood-style.

Flood appearances in 2 and 3 weren't bad, especially the levels in 2 where you had to fight through battles being fought between flood and either sentinels or covies. But, by then the damage had already been done.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Dygen Entreri said:
Wow. I think I'm the only one on this thread who will say this: I liked the Flood in Halo 3 best. In CE I just got annoyed by the swarm tactics, and in 2 they are tougher, but I actually didn't have too much trouble with them. When you play as the Arbiter, two weapons you should always carry are the sword and a Needler. Sword for all of the Combats, and use the needles on the carrier forms. It blows up them and their payload!

But in three, that was when I saw the greatest variety in the Flood, and I liked that. In all of the missions, you can usually find an effective weapon against them, and swarm tactics from low health enemies make sense to me. I even enjoyed most of the Cortana level (much more then the Library) other then the parts where you get trapped in a corridor with five Pure forms in their ranged mode shooting at you.

They do form a huge part of the story, but I'm glad they weren't in Reach, just because during that time the Covenant were still supposed to be the worst thing out there. I would have liked to see them show up for a level in Firefight, and make it like COD's Zombie game modes.
Oh my god! Flood firefight sounds awesome! Why didn't they do that?!

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Austichar said:
I actually rly enjoyed them. Was scared shitless when they were first introduced and the Arbiter levels with them I really enjoyed in Halo 2. Weren't as fun in Halo3, but still pretty entertaining. I dunno why, but I love the Cortana level.
You're probably the only one. :)

Seriously, though, what did you enjoy about Cortana? There was nothing about that level that I liked and I dread the prospect of ever playing through it again.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
SODAssault said:
I didn't really have a problem with them, considering how important they were in the overall story. However, nothing, in all the Halo games combined, has scored as many kills on me as a flood combat form with a rocket launcher.
I hear you on that one, chum. The one lifeform that has generated the most player-given expletives than any other foe.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
megs1120 said:
I certainly didn't, and neither did anyone I knew who played the Halo games. The covenant AI was good for its day, but the flood were braindead. Like zombies. Why on... well, Earth, Reach, Harvest, whatever did Bungie insist on throwing the flood at you?

Halo Wars was the worst offender, I mean, they had to jump through so many hoops to make the flood fit into the game and that was the point at which the game fell apart. In my opinion, they all fell apart once the flood showed up.

I'm ranting, sorry about that. Well, my feelings on the subject are clear, what did you think? Did the flood make the Halo games better, did they make the series worse, or did they merely overstay their welcome?
Well, when the flood first showed up in Halo 1, it was like "Woah, what the f#@k is that that?". But after "The Library", they just got on your nerves.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
The flood startled/frightened me the first time I ran into them but after a while it got very tedious.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I actually have no oppenion, Yes they were tedious beings, and quite annoying at some points *Cough cough* Halo 3 cortana *Cough cough*

But I felt they gave it a cool new style of gameplay, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND DON'T LET GO OF THE TRIGGER!

So for me they are average beings in the universe. I only REALLY enjoyed fighting them in the over-run city in Halo 3, and the first encounter in Halo.

DudeD1020

Dec 8, 2010
IMO the flood were only good at one thing in any of the games, LSR(Little Sibling Repellent)and maybe maybe loosing arms in CE

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
I remember in the first halo game, playing through it for the first time when i was young with a mate. We'd just hit those levels with the flood. They lived up to their names, swarming you and bombing onto you. Alone they were weak but there were many, and our ammo grew short.

It seemed like a pretty intense battle as far as i was concerned, it tested my extremely limited FPS skills at the time. I don't dare replay the first Halo game, it'd burst its illusion.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
On halo CE, the mission "the library" was the absolute best halo mission i've played of any of the series. and it was all flood

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
it was certainly a change of change of pace when they showed up and every subsequent time they showed up. you'd be all taking cover and trying to snipe fools when BAM flood time! break out your shotgun and rush those mother heffers. then run backards with your battle rifle. RUN BACKWARDS! pretty cool.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
TheTim said:
On halo CE, the mission "the library" was the absolute best halo mission i've played of any of the series. and it was all flood
If that isn't sarcasm, stop the smoking, it's bad for your health and illegal.

OT: Melee fight the flood, feel like a man.

Also I just found so much amusement in watching the flood fight the covenant for me (through my sniper scope), even though the flood ALWAYS won.

And the crowning moments for my Halo gaming was saving the marines that came to find you in '343 guilty spark', and keeping my grunt buddies safe in the first Arbiter mission from Halo 2.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
I enjoyed them in the first Halo. They were something new and interesting. In Halo 2, they were boring to fight, and I didn't enjoy the Flood levels. In Halo 3, they were too easy, and yet still boring. Halo Wars, their inclusion was just stupid.