Poll: Has a bad story ever made a game better?

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Ninjat_126 said:
METAL. GEAR. SOLID. 4.

Not that stupid, really, but just insanely complicated, messed up, distorted, warped and twisty. That just makes it better.

Seriously, fighting an army of cow-robot-frog-tanks with a rail gun while a cyborg ninja and immortal vampire-ninja have a knife-fight on top of a nuclear-equipped-walking-tank adds to the experience like you wouldn't believe.
"It was nanobots all along!!!"

I just gave you the entire complicated mess of metal gear solid 4's plot in 5 words. :p

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Ninjat_126 said:
METAL. GEAR. SOLID. 4.

Not that stupid, really, but just insanely complicated, messed up, distorted, warped and twisty. That just makes it better.

Seriously, fighting an army of cow-robot-frog-tanks with a rail gun while a cyborg ninja and immortal vampire-ninja have a knife-fight on top of a nuclear-equipped-walking-tank adds to the experience like you wouldn't believe.
As Batshit bonkers the MGS games stories were, they were always entertaining.
Murray Whitwell said:
Just Cause 2. Yet I'm still not sure that isn't tongue-in-cheek
yes.
That is all.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Metal Wolf Chaos, God Hand, Resident Evil (all of them), Tenchu ...
Yeah, I'd say it's made some of the greatest gaming experiences of all time.

Jul 11, 2008
Sir John the Net Knight said:
The original Mortal Kombat was a tribute to Bruce Lee's classic film "Enter the Dragon". After the first game, the series adopted a sort of comic-book style approach to it's storyline. Mortal Kombat, considering that it's in a genre that is quite light on exposition, is probably the series that's done the best job of fleshing out the characters and making the story interesting to follow.
Actually, while that's partially true, I find the biggest visual inspiration for Mortal Kombat was "Big Trouble in Little China". Which is pretty comic-booky albeit in an awesome way. But Mortal Kombat has always had one of the most powerful backstories out of all the fighting games out there. It was a shame to see that Shaolin Monks just butchered it. Not only the narrative, but also the actual events that took place, as according to MK's own canon.

So yeah, sometimes, a cheesy storyline can make a game better. But frankly, when it comes to Mortal Kombat, I don't think it did.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
Castle Shikigami 2 has one the worst english dubs ever. Most of the dialogue doesn't even make sense on top of not ever communicating a single piece of actual plot. Top that off with horrid voice acting and solid bullet hell gameplay and you end up with one of the most hilarious and fun games I have ever seen.

I have no clue what the plot is supposed to be, I don't know much of anything about the characters, and yet I still go back and play it just to hear the dialogue. Amazingly the dialogue gets even funnier with a second player as both characters will converse with each other. Each pair of characters has their own dialogue set so there is quite a bit of comedy to be had.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Three words: Metal Wolf Chaos. That game has the most epically horrible storyline.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Resident evil benefited from its horrible story because of the pure hilarity caused by it.

Kumomaru

May 21, 2008
Yes. But only when done comedically, such as in magicka or RE4. - if a bad story tries to make you take it seriously, well...

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
I would love to see a game where your character is the only one that realises that everything that is explained is complete nonsense/bullshit/utterly ridiculous and the only s/he can stay sane is by completely shattering the fourth wall. maybe even near the end of the game, s/he completely loses it and tries to get out of the game by hitting the screen and yelling "GET ME OUT OF HERE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!" then curls up into a ball and cries his/her face out for the rest of the cut scene, while the rest of the cast looks at him/her like s/he's some sort of lunatic. X3

Any Indie developers out there who can make this work? I would just Love to see it at least on a script.