Poll: Has a sequel ever gotten you into the rest of the franchise?

Jun 11, 2008
Sewa_Yunga said:
Glademaster said:
I find anyone who willingly suggests Firefly to someone else and evil and twisted individual who has no soul. I know it wasn't the case with you but I am putting it out there.
Why would you do that? Is it because it might leave this person craving for another season but knowing there wont be one?
Actually I did suggest Firefly to a friend. We watched it on his LCD projector and it was awesome :D
Well as long as the person is aware it will end ridiculously abruptly then it is fine but telling someone to watch it and not that it ends quickly is mean.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
It isn't a sequel, but a spin-off.. I watched Torchwood before I watched Doctor Who, at which point I watched the reboot before I watched the classic series.

As for books.. the one that really comes to mind is that I read The Empty Chair from Jeffrey Deaver's "Lincoln Rhyme" crime novel series first, then went back and read the previous ones.

And, television, again not sequels per se. I have a hard and fast rule about not watching any show that's less than two seasons old because I've been burned too many times by falling in love with a show and it getting canceled with no real ending. Which can happen with older shows, too, I know. I'm looking at you, FOX. Lie to Me*? Really? So, I pay no attention to what's coming out at any given time. Then, a couple of years down the line, someone'll be all "Oh, you've gotta watch this! You'll love it." And sometimes I'll watch it and love it and I go back and catch up on what I've missed.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I don't think the First Sonic game was my first go at the series, I can't remember though.

Mortal Kombat II, I've played all them since that (apart form that weird shooter with Jax)

and ACII, I still haven't played the first game.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Elder Scrolls for sure, i havent played anything else from the series exept oblivion and skyrim, and i bet there are very few Elder Scrolls fans as members here that started to play the series from Arena and not from Morrowind

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Skyrim got me interested enough in TES to find Oblivion/Morrowind, mod them up and try them out.

Sewa_Yunga said:
Glademaster said:
I find anyone who willingly suggests Firefly to someone else and evil and twisted individual who has no soul. I know it wasn't the case with you but I am putting it out there.
Why would you do that? Is it because it might leave this person craving for another season but knowing there wont be one?
Actually I did suggest Firefly to a friend. We watched it on his LCD projector and it was awesome :D
Most certainly because of the lack of episodes yeah. I was dumb/lucky enough to start watching it while I knew it was canceled. I still raged like the Hulk when the series was over.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
didn't get into Metriod till Super Metriod

didn't know what the Legacy of Kain was till Soul Reaver

didn't know anything of Shin Megami Tensei till Nocturne

so, yeah, its happened a few times

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
This probably doesn't count, but i started with the "the elder scrolls III : Morrowind"
and i love the ones after that one. Arena and daggerfall i haven't tried and i dont think ill ever try them, because they are so old and they are supposedly REALLY hard

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
WolfThomas said:
I never played the first Assassin's creed, but I really enjoyed AC2 and the sequels.
Pretty much that. Except I did play the first one later on, and well...compared to the second one and Brotherhood, it sucks.

HeOfMalice

Aug 2, 2010
sunsetspawn said:
HeOfMalice said:
I cannot play/read/watch a sequel without experiencing the first one(s). It's a huge pet peeve; I just cannot do it.
-snip-
Yeah, I'm hella anal about those things though. I go so far as to look up the franchise name to see if it exists before playing. I hate spoilers to no end.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
HeOfMalice said:
sunsetspawn said:
HeOfMalice said:
I cannot play/read/watch a sequel without experiencing the first one(s). It's a huge pet peeve; I just cannot do it.
-snip-
Yeah, I'm hella anal about those things though. I go so far as to look up the franchise name to see if it exists before playing. I hate spoilers to no end.
I understand. I would've much preferred to play Deus Ex 1 first, but it wasn't too big a deal. Mass Effect, on the other hand, absolutely requires sequential playing. Luckily I started with the first, but all of my friends can't wait for 3 and haven't played 1 or 2. They think it's like MW where it doesn't matter. I've run out of breath trying to explain how important it is to play 1 first; it's like I'm speaking fucking klingon. Mass Effect 1 has this amazing moment that just drops jaws and it makes the sequels that much more important.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
Well...yeah, once. I got into Dragon Quest Monsters by playing the second one, not the first. Otherwise...no. Although, I have had plenty of times where I've gotten into a source work by seeing an adaptation. Like, I first got into Stephen King and Michael Crichton by seeing movies based off their works, rather than reading the books first.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Griffolion said:
So recently, I was playing the Mass Effect 3 demo (under the persistent "advice" of a friend). Anyway, the multi player is fairly nice, but I also gave the story a quick go. Anyway, I was interested in the Mass Effect universe after that and remembered I had bought number 1 a while back in a sale. I've completed it now and am raring to get onto the second one.

Have you guys ever had a similar experience?
It was Mass Effect with me too. I played Mass Effect 2 first, then went back and bought ME, created a character, won, then replayed ME2 with that character.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
It's hard for me in terms of video games as I grew up with a NES so there wasn't franchising to the extent as there is now.

To actually contribute something to the thread I'll go with Prisoner of Azkaban. I picked it up in the school library and got hooked, (I had to stop reading half way through as it felt so wrong not knowing the lore).

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
since i've been playing all my games "new" since super mario brothers.... not really, no. every enjoyable franchise i can think of i either played the first one when it came out, or played a sequel but never bothered with previous games. i guess when you're older and have been gaming since you were a little kid, there's very little you miss.

movies and music, on the other hand, all the time. i'll see a sequel or remake or hear a new song, and end up getting all the previous ones as well.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Does Half Life 2 count if I never actually played Half Life? I've played Episodes 1 and 2, but never actually played the first game.

Also, Assassin's Creed. Started with Brotherhood, then Revelations, then 2, then 1. 2 was the best in my opinion.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
I got into Metal Gear with Metal Gear Solid.
I got into Legacy of Kain with Soul Reaver.
I got into Hitman with Silent Assassin.

So yeah, I got into a bunch of stuff by playing their sequels first.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Let's see:

-Final Fantasy VIII. After that, I felt the need to play the rest of them. Ever.
-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. This one I hated at first. But I don't know why I kept going. Soon enough, I finished it and I played the rest. And I love them.
-Legend of Zelda. Played Ocarina of Time because everyone kept raving about it. It was pretty good. I'm slowly trying to play them all.
-Devil May Cry 3. Loved it, bought the PS2 collection when it came out.
-Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage. I didn't get into this series that much, but it made me play the first and third game (Year of the Dragon). That's it.
-Assassin's Creed 2. Amazing game, played the rest and they were...okay. Except for the first one. I don't know why I hate that game. I should give it another chance.
-Resident Evil 2. I played the demo of the first one (The Director's Cut) once and I thought it was weird. Then my brother got the second one and I loved it. Now I'm looking forward to RE6 and Operation Raccoon City.