Poll: Has the Escapist community changed? Or is it just me?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
well I havnt been here too long so I dont really know

but..eh there always has been elitism and complaining

also theres PLENTY to gripe about Skyrim

Jun 13, 2009
One of the first threads I saw as a new user was something to do with the Escapist community going downhill. 2 and a bit years down the line, the thread content is vastly similar except the games, pop culture references and news reports being discussed are in keeping with the times. Escapist users appear to come in "waves", with each wave thinking the wave that came after them is taking the site downhill.

As someone with no real posting pattern who has not posted for months on end at times, then come back to here for a look at what's going on, I can safely say that the community at large is still the same. The main difference is I keep getting confused as to who the latest forum celebs are. Back in my day, we had MaxTheReaper.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
ToastiestZombie said:
No seriously we have tried to love and tolerate him, but he just says something about us being immature and smelling like old people. All bronies on this site have had it in with him, every pony thread he's on there. I think we deserve a little bit of justice once in a while. Look at what I replied to the Cool guy, that is loving and tolerating. We did that to jimbo and he basically gave us the middle finger.

Also I think I might not do that Nicest user thing, there was just not the turnout I expected. I love all the members who posted on there but I guess the Escapist just can't handle the positivity awarding a genuinely nice person can have. :(
Well, you obviously didn't try loving and tolerating him hard enough.
And on the justice thing, yeah, no, ya really don't deserve it. Two reasons, one, it's the internet, someone is bound to find a bone to pick with any fandom. I'm a CoD fan but you don't see me cheering when a CoD hater gets banned. Two, the majority of the fans have brought the hate on themselves. When you mention Brony, to the non-MLP fans, we imagine the raving lunatics. The ones that replace words with pony, the ones who post "JOIN THE HEEEEEEEERD.", the ones who argue when you simply state "I watched some of it, it's not my thing."MLP fans have just gotta learn to role with the punches, really. Yes, it's annoying to watch someone attack something you love but just shrug it off, maybe even laugh with the guy who's hating. Sure, you'll get called a retard, a baby, a man-child, whatever but you know what, just go with it. If you just shrug it off, they'll get bored eventually. So, in short, just shrug those guys off, you're doing yourself and MLP fans no favours by replying to them, nor will you make any friends by going around acting like you're being persecuted.

And on the Nicest User thing, yeah, I'd drop it. It's a pretty good way to one, piss off a lot of people and two, cause egos to inflate. Although seeing as TimeLord is winning right now, none of those will happen.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Phlakes said:
lacktheknack said:
On the other hand, we have a moderation team that does NOT screw around, and aren't letting up. Yes, I see that as a good thing.
This. Most people take for granted how clean these forums are, and how much worse off they would be without strict mods. But they have to keep getting more strict as the community keeps growing. More people -> more chaos -> more control.
lacktheknack said:
Yes, obviously. If an internet website stays static, it's doing something wrong.

I'm not sure what I think of the direction it's going. On one hand, a lot of people I liked have vanished (Aylaine) or gotten banned (Hankman). Running gags and all-around silliness is rarer and treated with disdain by some newer users. On the other hand, we have a moderation team that does NOT screw around, and aren't letting up. Yes, I see that as a good thing.

I figure that these forums are what we make of them. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic, and maybe put some effort into a good satire here and there. :p
Stricter rules has made it somewhat boring to post. There's no point posting a joke even approaching 'the line' any more because its all taken so fucking seriously.

Its also fun when things actually flare up somewhat. The new wave of users seem to be of the whole ,"this is my opinion and its only my opinion and even though you're saying something completely subjective I'm going to make sure you label it as your opinion also or else my feelings will be hurt because I'm a moron and I can't infer anything for myself" variety.

But that's just my opinion.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
To me it seems like the standard thing of chaos that is the internet.

SO really it will be fluid.

Yet it will remain the same

I dont think that it is really that bad.

might be in your opinion but its really just nostalgia...
Similar to how when we are old when we were young politicians were honest...

not true but it is a similar concept

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Souplex said:
It's always been changing. I prefer the 09 escapist. 2010 and 2011 were disappointing.
I still fondly remember the 08. 09 was also great.

OT: Always change and it will always do. If you prefer a smaller community, you can find a newer site if you want.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Only change I've noticed is a lot less controversial topics due to the banfest that happened. Other than that, it's the same. The controversial statements are still here, even - I've seen borderline racism in quite a few threads, for example.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
FFHAuthor said:
There's always been an undercurrent on the Escapist. I was a lurker long before I officially joined, and you can see it every now and again. IT's not about the flame wars, it's not about the hate-fads, it's not even about the mods...it's just...well...THERE. It's something unsavory that just rears up it's ugly head now and again. Things just happen and unless you look at the long view you don't see things, not the major things. Maybe some of the really long term posters can see it, but maybe being on the outside looking in is better. It's like with the Ocean Marketting thing, the way the community is rising up over that, it's the 12 days of Christmas thing and how some of the events went down in that.

MLP wars, CoD/BF3 hate, popular game hate, hell...the damn 'The last is your to do with.' threads, they're nothing. They're entertainment, they're background noise, set dressing, whatever you want to call it.

There's a darker side to the Escapist, and it's not really about it changing, it's about when it shows up and people actually take notice.
Pretty much this. Took the words right out of my mouth. People are very polite about being incredibly rude. Like in a show where people go to a town where evrything is perfect, before finding the much darker side.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Sassafrass said:
ToastiestZombie said:
No seriously we have tried to love and tolerate him, but he just says something about us being immature and smelling like old people. All bronies on this site have had it in with him, every pony thread he's on there. I think we deserve a little bit of justice once in a while. Look at what I replied to the Cool guy, that is loving and tolerating. We did that to jimbo and he basically gave us the middle finger.

Also I think I might not do that Nicest user thing, there was just not the turnout I expected. I love all the members who posted on there but I guess the Escapist just can't handle the positivity awarding a genuinely nice person can have. :(
Well, you obviously didn't try loving and tolerating him hard enough.
And on the justice thing, yeah, no, ya really don't deserve it. Two reasons, one, it's the internet, someone is bound to find a bone to pick with any fandom. I'm a CoD fan but you don't see me cheering when a CoD hater gets banned. Two, the majority of the fans have brought the hate on themselves. When you mention Brony, to the non-MLP fans, we imagine the raving lunatics. The ones that replace words with pony, the ones who post "JOIN THE HEEEEEEEERD.", the ones who argue when you simply state "I watched some of it, it's not my thing."MLP fans have just gotta learn to role with the punches, really. Yes, it's annoying to watch someone attack something you love but just shrug it off, maybe even laugh with the guy who's hating. Sure, you'll get called a retard, a baby, a man-child, whatever but you know what, just go with it. If you just shrug it off, they'll get bored eventually. So, in short, just shrug those guys off, you're doing yourself and MLP fans no favours by replying to them, nor will you make any friends by going around acting like you're being persecuted.

And on the Nicest User thing, yeah, I'd drop it. It's a pretty good way to one, piss off a lot of people and two, cause egos to inflate. Although seeing as TimeLord is winning right now, none of those will happen.
Yeh, I guess I should be a bit indifferent about people like Jimbo. I am a bit of a sucker for baiting haters and trolls. Why do I call these guys trolls? Because mainly there first post in a thread about bronies is a response to someone elses opinion they didn't want to debate. There is no point in trying to get rid of pony threads since there is always that one rather dumb user (usually new) who makes one, and people like Jimbo get their feed. Also Jimbo does kind of deserve some punishment, he once said that if an old person likes MLP then they must have dementia. He said that all bronies are people that can be smelt 10 feet away and are all nerds who stay in all day. He just acts so stubborn to everything. But I shall calm down, deep breaths, deeepp breaths. One more thing, loving and tolerating doesn't work on these types of people because they don't like being loved and tolerated by a group they don't like. I once tried to make a truce with Jimbo and he just replied saying that I reinforce some steryotype of bronies being pushovers.

The main reason I did the Nicest User thread is that I find that actual nice people on this website never get awarded enough, it's just the bad people getting all the attention. But this is the Escapist and everyone takes things so seriously, it sucks.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
ToastiestZombie said:
Yeh, I guess I should be a bit indifferent about people like Jimbo. I am a bit of a sucker for baiting haters and trolls. Why do I call these guys trolls? Because mainly there first post in a thread about bronies is a response to someone elses opinion they didn't want to debate. There is no point in trying to get rid of pony threads since there is always that one rather dumb user (usually new) who makes one, and people like Jimbo get their feed. Also Jimbo does kind of deserve some punishment, he once said that if an old person likes MLP then they must have dementia. He said that all bronies are people that can be smelt 10 feet away and are all nerds who stay in all day. He just acts so stubborn to everything. But I shall calm down, deep breaths, deeepp breaths. One more thing, loving and tolerating doesn't work on these types of people because they don't like being loved and tolerated by a group they don't like. I once tried to make a truce with Jimbo and he just replied saying that I reinforce some steryotype of bronies being pushovers.

The main reason I did the Nicest User thread is that I find that actual nice people on this website never get awarded enough, it's just the bad people getting all the attention. But this is the Escapist and everyone takes things so seriously, it sucks.
Well, he sounds a bit of a dick (Watch as I get hit for that. XD) but eh, dicks are there for every fan-base that floats around. Just ignore them in future and know that by not responding, you're probably depriving them of their fun. Plus they're a bit narrow minded. I mean, I don't see these guys attacking Viva Pinata fans which has every right to be as questionable to like as MLP. And I was sorta joking about the love and tolerance thing comment at the start of my last post.

To be honest, the site has never really taken a shine to putting community members on a pedestal, regardless whether they're nice, dickheads or anything inbetween. It's been like that long before you joined, really.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Sassafrass said:
ToastiestZombie said:

Well, he sounds a bit of a dick (Watch as I get hit for that. XD) but eh, dicks are there for every fan-base that floats around. Just ignore them in future and know that by not responding, you're probably depriving them of their fun. Plus they're a bit narrow minded. I mean, I don't see these guys attacking Viva Pinata fans which has every right to be as questionable to like as MLP. And I was sorta joking about the love and tolerance thing comment at the start of my last post.

To be honest, the site has never really taken a shine to putting community members on a pedestal, regardless whether they're nice, dickheads or anything inbetween. It's been like that long before you joined, really.
VIVA PINATA, FILLED WITH FUN! GOD I love that game! Now let's see someone give me a 200 page essay on how I am immature and just trying to repress my adulthood and all that jazz. I think that if a person like Jimbo doesn't want to be called hypocritical, then they must say the exact same thing they say to bronies that they say to *Deep breath in* Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Lego, Adventure Time, Doctor Who, Harry Potter fans and people who eat sweets.

Also I reckon that some of the long time users are a bit eager to finally get some spotlight on the good guys, which I think is the main reason so many people with 5000 posts or more posted in my thread. I just think the Escapist needs a bit more positivity, which is abundant in the forum games and RP forums but is severely lacking in the Gaming Discussion and Off Topic forums.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
ToastiestZombie said:
VIVA PINATA, FILLED WITH FUN! GOD I love that game! Now let's see someone give me a 200 page essay on how I am immature and just trying to repress my adulthood and all that jazz. I think that if a person like Jimbo doesn't want to be called hypocritical, then they must say the exact same thing they say to bronies that they say to *Deep breath in* Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Lego, Adventure Time, Doctor Who, Harry Potter fans and people who eat sweets.

Also I reckon that some of the long time users are a bit eager to finally get some spotlight on the good guys, which I think is the main reason so many people with 5000 posts or more posted in my thread. I just think the Escapist needs a bit more positivity, which is abundant in the forum games and RP forums but is severely lacking in the Gaming Discussion and Off Topic forums.
Woo, another Pinata fan, good to find those around. And I like sweets. Sweets are awesome. Haribo rocks.

Eh, not really, I think. As someone who has seen what happens when a spot-light hits a user or two with them asking for it or even wanting it, shit hits the fan due to users thinking they've sucked up to others, some thinking they've suddenly got egos the size of Mars when they haven't and flat out jealousy. And yeah, it does need a bit more positivity but declaring one user as the nicest guy on the site probably isn't the way to go around it. Just go around making bad jokes and derailing dying threads, it's what I normally do.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
The Cool Kid said:
TopazFusion said:
The Cool Kid said:
MLP is made first and foremost for little girls. Making it so parents can stand it is a nice afterthought but nothing more than that; chucking a cartoon into kill bill didn't make it for kids, and having one or two references/jokes for adults doesn't make it for adults or teenagers, hence why your comment is incorrect as it ignores the reason for why an adult should be watching it in the first place;
I'll admit I felt the same way, very sceptical at first.
But after watching a few episodes, I really enjoyed it. I can't explain why.
After all, we don't choose what we enjoy do we?
The Cool Kid said:
There is a little bit of escapism, and then MLP which is hardly "a little bit" when you are reverting to the mindset of a child. Watching smallville is escapism. MLP is completely avoiding any mature problems and approaching life in a very immature manner. That wreaks of avoiding reality in the fullest degree, second to shooting up and the like.
I have a quote from another thread, addressing this very issue. Sorry if it comes across as offensive, but the person it was directed towards would not listen to reason.
Ever heard of the 'inner child'? Ever hear someone describe themselves as a 'child at heart'?
Obviously not. Maybe you killed off your inner child as soon as you became an adult, and if so I pity you.
The Cool Kid said:
I never said sub-human or inferior, or anything like that...Why have you?
I mean how MLP fans in general are always on the receiving end of unwarranted hostility and hatred.
You are a human so all your reasoning is based on logic. If you think on it enough, you will discover why you like MLP.
Yes we don't choose what we like, but what we like tells us a lot about ourselves; maybe for this reason several MLP fans do not reflect on why they like the show?

I'm pretty sure that comment was originally aimed at me, but carrying on...should "a child at heart" be commendable or acceptable as an adult? I say no, because children are inherently immature, and that is something we should grow out of, especially as an adult.
To draw on the wisdom of Matt and Trey, a child needs an adult, not a play partner.
If that's how you think then why do you hang around on a video game site?

KurtzGallahad

Oct 8, 2009
I remember joining up in '09 and seeing every thread being dominated by fantastic geniuses of posters, names I could never forget and would jump at seeing on the "recent posts" page, half the time the post would start by explaining that the user only just got off suspension/probation/tempban and had been discussing something with the group members at P.R.I.A.T.E or Asylum or somesuch and wanted to put it to the masses
Nowadays these epic posters (You know who you are) seem to be posting less and less, or rather it seems their posts are being swallowed up by low content posts that aren't worth the data they're printed on
Not to mention that group chat in all groups appears to have become somewhat less omnipresent and exciting, I would say that the escapist has undoubtably lost some of the energy and power that made it so enjoyable back in the day

TL;DR
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/communitytab/7676-Community-Member-Spotlight-Furburt
This was the highlight of the forums when I started out
Nowadays it's somewhat less fun