Poll: has there ever been a good video game movie?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I can't think of one. Prince of Persia might end up being decent, but as of now, I have no clue.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
So what's the question?

Is there a good one? or Which is worse?

For a good one: Silent Hill. That movie was awesome

For a bad one: Alone in the Dark.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
To be honest, your poll lacks options. A yes or no would have been better.

I know I may get some flak for this, but I liked Hitman, it was a decent film. Same as Silent Hill for me, it may have been a bit different but it was a great attempt.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
seriously, how could the spirits within be a freaking video game movie? there was NO GAME FOR IT

perhaps why don't you try Advent children

....seeing I'm being nice, I choose "posta" otherwise known as postal, it lacked any taste as the humour was shockingly poor, all because Uwe Boll wanted some attention by the media

Halo99

May 16, 2010
I quite liked D&D2. But then i'm a sucker for crap films. Not quite video game related but close enough.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Super Mario Bros. does that lap around the quality track where it shoots past good, careens past bad, edges out horrible, and then loops around to trail good again.

I've painfully stretched the metaphor, but I'm trying to say it's so bad it's good.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Julianking93 said:
For a good one: Silent Hill. That movie was awesome
I liked seeing Silent Hill for another reason. I was with a girl I liked pretty well at the time who was absolutely terrified of scary movies. Not terrified so that she never wanted to see them, just easily shocked. It was her idea to see the movie and I had no idea at the time. So it was a pretty nice surprise when she sat there the entire movie clinging to me. It never gets old, even as you do.

tonyh900

May 16, 2010
sorry for the mix up i am saying has there ever been a good movie based on a video game the poll is which movie is shittier because most of them suck

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Doom sucked balls. And the ending was absolutely ridiculous, it was so low budget it made my organs cry.

AlchemistMayCry

Nov 20, 2009
I'm gonna throw myself to the lions and say that both the first Mortal Kombat movie and the Street Fighter movie were good films. Well, not so much on Street Fighter, but Mortal Kombat managed to hit the essence of it, had good fight choreography, good actors, and a simple, but good enough plot. It's not Oscar material, but it's at least FUN and it does nail some aspects of the games well. Street Fighter: The Movie, may not have as excellent fight choreography, though when you compare to the cinematic abortion that was The Legend of Chun-Li, it's practically Citizen Kane. Bison is ludicrous and fun (thanks Raul Julia), Jean Claude Van Damme is just hilarious as Guile, and Ryu and Ken's subplot with Vega and Sagat wasn't so bad. Yes they fucked up with Dhalsim and Blanka, but in the end, it was pretty enjoyable, regardless of what the Nostalgia Critic says. And I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the upcoming Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie will be good, because of these reasons:

1. BUDGET. They've got Jerry Bruckheimer/Disney backing it. IT WILL LOOK PRETTY.
2. CAST. Jake Gyllenhaal and Ben Kingsley. You've got Donnie Darko and fucking GANDHI. And also, Alfred Molina. Donnie Darko, Doctor Octopus, and GANDHI are in this movie.
3. MUSIC. Harry Gregson-Williams is composing the score. FRICKING METAL GEAR SOLID'S (and Narnia's) COMPOSER IS COMPOSING THE SCORE.
4. Jordan Mechner, the original creator, had a heavy hand in development.
5. For stunts, they got the FOUNDER OF PARKOUR to choreograph.

Pretty much, PoP, Mortal Kombat 1, and Street Fighter will probably be the best video game movies. Unless Resident Evil: Afterlife manages to not suck (which it won't, even with James Cameron's megacamera)

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Does Doomsday Arcade count as a good one? If not, it should.

For the poll, I'd probably say the Mario Bros movie is the worst.

tonyh900

May 16, 2010
mad825 said:
seriously, how could the spirits within be a freaking video game movie? there was NO GAME FOR IT

....seeing I'm being nice, I choose "posta" otherwise known as postal, it lacked any taste as the humour was shockingly poor, all because Uwe Boll wanted some attention by the media
i dont even think it has to have a game for it it just have to be based off a game series

Apr 28, 2008
Is this movies about specific games, or movies about games in general. Because if its the latter, I have only 3 words for you.

Mother

[HEADING=2]Fucking[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]TRON[/HEADING]

If its the former... than I have no idea.

tonyh900

May 16, 2010
Irridium said:
Is this movies about specific games, or movies about games in general. Because if its the latter, I have only 3 words for you.

Mother

[HEADING=2]Fucking[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]TRON[/HEADING]
specific games

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
I quite enjoyed the Mortal Kombat movies. Yes, even Annihilation. I also thought Silent Hill was pretty good, and I don't count Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within as a video game movie. It had absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
tonyh900 said:
mad825 said:

i dont even think it has to have a game for it it just have to be based off a game series
That's the thing though, it wasn't based off of a game series, simply named after it. Spirits Within had nothing to do with any part of Final Fantasy.