Poll: has there ever been a good video game movie?

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
I actually found Super Mario Brothers to be a pretty decent movie. In terms of adapting Super Mario Brothers it didn't really succeed but it was a decent enough movie in its own right.

sabbat

Apr 29, 2010
Damn, I hated the Bloodrayne movie. they should FOLLOW THE DAMN PLOT!
And set it in the right time period.
And keep the same characters.
And ACTUALLY PLAY THE DAMN GAME so at least they know what they are doing!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Well, I've thoroughly enjoyed the following video game movies:

Mortal Kombat
Postal
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete (the orignal AC was okay, but Complete had an extra 23 minutes of footage and is just an awesome movie. The extra footage just REALLY fleshes out a lot of things, and even had a scene that brought me to tears. It was just so well done. HIGHLY recommended, but it's Blu-Ray only.)

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Doom was an awesome movie!

^a statement I can't say with a straight face

I was disapointed.

I sort of liked the resident evil movies though, they had zombies and hot chicks that was enough for me. Doom was lacking in the chicks and no that one docter doesn't come close.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
There are a few decent video game movies though, the Mega Man fan film was absolutely awesome, and Hitman was OK

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
I've never really found a video game movie that was actually good, personally. There's just something about them that just manages to fall flat on their faces. *shrugs* There may be hope yet, but I'm not seeing it.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I honestly have yet to see a good video game movie. I've seen Tomb Raider Cradle of Life, Super Mario Brothers, the first Resident Evil and Doom. None of them were great, but Mario and Doom were the worst.

Apr 28, 2008
tonyh900 said:
Irridium said:
Is this movies about specific games, or movies about games in general. Because if its the latter, I have only 3 words for you.

Mother

[HEADING=2]Fucking[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]TRON[/HEADING]
specific games
Ah. Well then yeah, not sure.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I watched them so long ago I can't remember what I thought of them, especially Mario Brothers. I still remember Street Fighter though and that was bloody awful.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Doom was watchable (the FPS part at the end was actually impressive to my sleep deprived mind when I saw it), so was Bloodrayne, and I believe that I once watched Mortal Kombat and enjoyed it. I actually rather liked Spirits Within. I guess it had an uncanny valley problem with a lot of people but hours of in-engine and old school prerendered cutscenes gave me a tolerance for that.

And that's all the video game movies I've seen, provided that we count Spirits Within as a video game movie rather than a cross-media spin-off.

EDIT: I just remembered that I've also seen the Resident Evil movies, they're alright but they get progressively worse. The Tomb Raider movies are pretty good also.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i liked doom, spirits within and mortal kombat didn't like the rest of the ones on that list
re movie series wasn't that bad

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Ones I thought were good:
Resident Evil 1 & 3 (2 was meh)
Doom (acting could have been better though)
Final Fantasy (both)

Tomb Raiders were decent.
Max Payne... I didn't know what the hell was going on, but never played the games either.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
The Tome Raider movies were pretty good, I thought.

Also, I liked the Resident Evil movies, but I never cared for the games, so it's hard to say.
The fourth one is shaping up to be pretty cool, though!

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
im a sucker for the fighting in FFVII advent children, so i adored it. the spirits within is a weird one though, based off of actual planet earth and the whole phantom outbreak thingy and the fact that theres no magic is really weird to me, but i still enjoyed it as a sci-fi.
otherwise, im sure mario bros is just plain horrible, i never got into doom, so idk, and anything else is probably mediocre or even less.
id like to see prince of persia, so i'll keep my hopes up..

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
Hell, I loved silent hill, loved the mario bros movie, loved postal and thought street fighter was giggle-worthy. The rest sorta sucked >.>