Poll: has there ever been a good video game movie?

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Doom was okay. I didn't like how the story was changed for the movie but the FPS part was pretty cool. The acting could have been better too but wasn't worse then I expected.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Halo99 said:
I quite liked D&D2. But then i'm a sucker for crap films. Not quite video game related but close enough.
Yeah, it was retarded but thouroughly enjoyable from the perspective of someone who's ever played a game of D&D. Actually watching the klepto thief in the first one made me laugh, since I did stuff,, like steal stuffed cats from street vendors, all the time.
There are been a few video game movies that have been entertaining, but totally mangled the source material so hardly count really.

I'm looking at you Silent Hill and Resident Evil

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
lol really super mario bros is the highest? i h8ed that movie, i preferred mortal kombat but i am a huge fan of the series

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
manaman said:
Julianking93 said:
For a good one: Silent Hill. That movie was awesome
I liked seeing Silent Hill for another reason. I was with a girl I liked pretty well at the time who was absolutely terrified of scary movies. Not terrified so that she never wanted to see them, just easily shocked. It was her idea to see the movie and I had no idea at the time. So it was a pretty nice surprise when she sat there the entire movie clinging to me. It never gets old, even as you do.
Well I went for the same reason, but she loved it. Coming from a hardcore Christian background she really read into the whole "cult" thing and taking away a little girls innocence. I was very surprised.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Advent Children, though a movie sequel to a game, was the most faithful to the source materia(l).

I like it best.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
marter said:
I can't think of one. Prince of Persia might end up being decent, but as of now, I have no clue.
And even there, Id say decent at best. Movies and Games just do not mesh.

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
Rather than pick my favorite (most suck), I'm just going to say that anyone who enjoyed Advent Children most've hated FFVII, because it did nothing but bastardize characters and flip over established norms. Advent Children is not only the worst game movie when regarding source material, but probably the reason FFVII/Cloud gets such a bad rep as being a terrible game/character.

FFVII introduced me to happy go lucky protagonist, nostalgically reminiscent of the wonderful yesteryear of RPG characters. He raced giant chickens, rode trains, dutifully joined the military, had fleeting love interests, enjoyed exploration and adventure, and wore a dress. He was fun.

Advent Children turned him into a pansy. Screw you Advent Children, and all of your fans that ruined Final Fantasy.

edit, I lied, my favorite video game movie was the Animal Crossing movie

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
My friend let me tell you about Japan. It is a magical place where they pay more respect to the games they make films or short features of. This is my example. Animal crossing the movie. On it's own it's an okay flick but as a fan i got extaic when they seemed to protray the game in the right way. Sadly there is no english dub as of now since other parts of the world do not know of this god send of a video game movie. But someday the world will know.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
Hitman wasn't extremely shitty, but I appreciate that it makes no effort at all to be accepted as canon, because i never would. It drastically changes the backstory and personalities of every single person, and ultimately plays out as a film "inspired by" instead of "based on". In short, it's not shit, but i guess i can't really call it a videogame movie.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
MissGinaKid said:
My friend let me tell you about Japan. It is a magical place where they pay more respect to the games they make films or short features of. This is my example. Animal crossing the movie. On it's own it's an okay flick but as a fan i got extaic when they seemed to protray the game in the right way. Sadly there is no english dub as of now since other parts of the world do not know of this god send of a video game movie. But someday the world will know.
Sadly, all Japanese games are shit, but thanks for trying.

Desgardes

Apr 5, 2010
Oh, wait, I thought it said which was best. Worst was Super Mario Brothers, and best was street fighter. It was such a Jean Claude Van Damme movie you can't help but enjoy it.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
xqxm said:
MissGinaKid said:
Sadly, all Japanese games are shit, but thanks for trying.
Man, you must have everything from Resident Evil to Final Fantasy then, huh?

OT: Animal Crossing got a movie?! Man, can't imagine how THAT worked out.... Might have to look into it sometime...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Oh, this thread has brought back haunting memories of the Super Mario Bros movie... No, no, NO! The psychological trauma is coming back to me now! All those years of therapy wasted!

The Halo movie will probably also suck.

I have no idea when a good video game movie will come out... Tron doesn't count but was awesome anyway.

...Thinking about that *shudder* miserable excuse of cinematic entertainment has worn me out. I need to rest.