Poll: Have you donated any money to wikipedia?

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Yup, I use the site every day, so it seems like I should give something.

Might do it again. Buying an actual set of encyclopedias costs a lot of money, so I figure my donations should match the price of a large reference book at some point.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
If I have any money left after paying bills this month I might. I do use the site a lot, unfortunately I'm also living on a very small budget that doesn't allow for a lot of donating to things - and I'm also being hit up for donations by orphans and starving people in the mail all month that might be a worthier cause.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
Yeah, I figure they've saved my ass from impending deadlines enough that they deserve a few bucks from me. That and having Jimmy Wales staring accusingly at me while I'm looking up definitions for mental disorders was starting to get annoying.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Indignation837 said:
Yeah, I figure they've saved my ass from impending deadlines enough that they deserve a few bucks from me. That and having Jimmy Wales staring accusingly at me while I'm looking up definitions for mental disorders was starting to get annoying.
I dig what you are saying. After I tossed my copy of Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics in favor of its Wiki page, it was subliminally disturbing to find Mr. Wales staring at me whilst I researched the very definition of ethics.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
No. I've actually been avoiding those messages because I figured thats what they were about. Considering I cant use it on reports as a credible source, and considering they're basically they encyclopedia britanica, I dont see a point to.

why yes, Im being hypocritical, because I use the site from time to time. But until they make the site a pay site, I wont contribute money to them. Id rather save it for better causes.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Just a bit.

They'd get more if Jimbo Wales just shouted "I've done all your essays for the past 6 years. Give me some fuckin money."

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
No. And those ads with the face of Wikipedia's founder or whatever on them do nothing to change my mind about it. They look really sketchy to me. I know they aren't, but still. They could at least TRY to not make them look like links to scams.

the spud

May 2, 2011
No, but as much as I use the site I feel like I should. Maybe I'll get around to it.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
No, since I'm in college now I use Wikipedia less and less by the day. It's useful, but I rarely look anything up anymore, so I can't justify spending any of my severely limited budget on donations.
~
Wow captcha, that's really hard for a bot to decipher:

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Giest4life said:
Indignation837 said:
I dig what you are saying. After I tossed my copy of Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics in favor of its Wiki page, it was subliminally disturbing to find Mr. Wales staring at me whilst I researched the very definition of ethics.
I hope you attempted to read Aristotle's Ethics though, it's an incredibly interesting account on happiness and how morals, ethics and politics influenced Aristotle's account of happiness. However, in saying that I have found the Wikipedia page slightly easier to understand.

OT: I've never donated to Wikipedia, but I probably will...one day. I donated a few dollars to help fund the Angry Video Game Nerd film though.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yes, not much mind you, but I try to give about 10-50$ per year when I can. Dont know about this year because money is tight due to moving, but Ill make up for it next year.

Seriously, its the ONLY website worth attempting to preserve through any apocalypse scenario, why wouldnt you want to donate?

onou1

Nov 22, 2011
Yeah. I've been trying to actually pay for things that I use, and wikipedia's request is a hell of a lot less intrusive and guilt trippy than most charities'. Like to keep it that way.