Poll: Have you ever walked out of a movie at the cinema?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I'm bored and it's friday, which means it's movie night for me and my girlfriend. Now we go to see movies every week, some good, some bad, some flat out meh. The thing is, iv'e never walked out on a movie, no matter how bad or boring it was.I paid my 20$ and i'm going to sit here for the alotted time dammit! Iv'e also never had any problems at the cinema with people talking or a movie not working properly ( which apprently happens). Iv'e fallen asleep during a movie ( dreamgirls), and stopped paying attention ( jack reacher) but never left the room until the movie was over.

So my question to you escapists is: have you ever paid full entry into a movie theater and walked up during its showing?

If so: what movie was it and why did you walk out?

If not: what do you do when a movie fails to capture your interest? And what would it take for you to walk out?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I walked out of "The Happening". The movie was just so pointless and boring, if I had wanted to waste 10$ on 2 hours of nothing I would have gone on a bus ride roundtrip. I left in the first 30 minutes so I got my money back.

Went to another movie that was screening that night instead. I'd already seen that movie to boot, but I had enjoyed it enough to watch it again instead of "The Happening".

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This never happens to me. I determine from the previews - because that's what they're for - whether it will appeal to me or not. I have never been disappointed by one of my decisions. What would it take? Ummm...a dramatic shift in how the world works or a leave of my senses.

BTW: Careful with the editing in of a poll. You ate my first post!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No but I came very close with Ang Lee Hulk (I was right at the exit)! Not only was the film a total dull but I thought the film finished before the two hours mark. I was out in the city with my parent and I supposed to meet them back at the car park at a specific time. I was debating wheather to leave to meet up with my parent on time or watch it all and be late heading back. I choose the latter and was late but my parent weren't bother by my lateness.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
The only one I walked out of was Stardust. My friends convinced me to go to the cinema to see Saw or some Horror Movie even though we weren't 18, certain that we'd get in. Anyway we turn up and, true to my belief, we get ID'd. Only movie we can see is Stardust (LOL) so we end up walking out of the half an hour in.

I usually have studied a film enough before hand to know if I'm going to like it going in though.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Ages ago, but yes.

My then-girlfriend wanted to see Beloved on her birthday, so her best friend and I took her to an evening showing. Maybe if we'd gone earlier it would have been fine, but that movie is depressing in general and also nearly 4-hours long so it was just painful. We made it about three-quarters of the way through before we finally gave up and snuck out.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
The closest I've gotten to walking out on a movie was when the projector wouldn't work for Thor: The Dark World, so they couldn't show the movie. It was disappointing, because I wanted to see that movie, and that was the last weekend it was showing that I could go to it. But we did end up getting a full refund and free tickets for any movie at a later date, so it worked out alright.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Yes but only because I went to see it to waste time waiting for the city bus to show up. I think the movie was the remake of clash of the titans.

Usually though, I only go see a movie in theater if I'm fairly positive that I'll like it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
No, never. Partly because I don't go and watch stuff I know I won't like, partly because most of the times I go to the movies is part of my job.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
No, I only ever go to the movies when friends or family want to go so unless everyone wants to leave I won't. I also don't want bother others in theatre by standing up. If the movies shit I just don't pay attention and daydream. TBH I get bored in a lot of movies even good ones.

Unfortunately some of my friends like those horrible parody movies so I had to sit though those.

To make me actually walk out it would need really really bad singing or maybe have something I find extremely offensive (I don't know what that would be).

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Yup. One of those Eddie Murphy Big Momma type things way back when, possibly even back in the late 90's. My friend wanted to see it, but I tried... I just tried and couldn't. So we left, and she sweet-talked the kid into giving us our money back. Worked out well.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I've never walked out of a movie, despite having seen quite a few really bad ones.

That said, I've come close to walking out twice.

The first was during the 2010 prequel/remake The Thing. Holy shit did I despise this movie when I first saw it. I absolutely love John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) to the point where it's probably my overall favorite horror movie, and definitely in my general top-5. I was so psyched up for the 2010 prequel that I watched the Carpenter version right before going so that I'd have it fresh in my mind when looking for connections between the two movies. In reality though all it did was make it more obvious to me how shitty the prequel was compared to Carpenter's.

The second time was during the 2012 remake of Red Dawn. I knew going in that this movie was going to be bad, but I had no idea as to what degree of badness I was getting myself into. The only reason I didn't walk out was because the movie was such a ridiculous train wreck that I couldn't bring myself to look away. In retrospect, I'm kinda glad I didn't leave, just for the fact that I got to finally see what happens when a movie gets bored with itself and just kind of stops. The scene that serves as the finale for Red Dawn (2012) is a scene that happens maybe two-thirds of the way through the original 1984 Red Dawn. So the remake decided that instead of finishing the story, it would just kind of... stop. Pick a random battle scene, add in a crappy voice-over, and call it a day.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I've never done a walk-out, but I did get dragged out when my brother was acting like a goddamn crybaby when we went to see the theatrical showing of Dinosaur when we were kids. I wasn't even the one that begged and pleaded our mom to see it, and that little fucking Suki, who did beg and plead to see it, got us fucking kicked out of that theater. Fucking bawled his eyes out for no reason in particular. So, uh, don't go and see movies with an often-misbehaving five-year-old.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I walked out of the first Kill Bill. I was a bit too young to get most of the references and I've never really been a fan of violence. I just got really bored with it. I've never really liked Terantino, though I did like Django Unchained.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Nope, never. Generally I'll only go to see a movie that particularly interests me in the first place, so I'm unlikely to hit one that I can't stand at-all, and also once I've paid for it, I'm going to watch the damn thing to the end, however bad it is. Honestly never been tempted to walk out yet though.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
'Now you See Me': When they gave money away the second time, I went to the bathroom and didn't return. Of course, I'll watch movies by myself, so I don't have a social obligation to suffer with company.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Nope. But the Good Shepherd sorely tempted me. I rarely ever feel the need to check my watch in a film but I distinctly remember checking it about 20 minutes in and thinking "Oh god, we've got another two and a half hours of this". I've yet to meet a movie which was a match for my stubbornness and/or 'train wreck fascination'...If anyone could ever drag me into one though, I might make an exception for gorn-fest films (never could stomach "Let's see what the most ridiculous and torturous ways we can kill these characters :D" films)

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Not yet but I almost did. Jonah Hex was a really bad movie for me and I would not have stayed if not for my father who brought me to it. When I go to a movie I've already paid my ticket; I'll try to endure a lot but everyone has their breaking point.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Nope, I have never walked out of a theater.

The closest I've ever come to it was Transformers: Dark of the Moon or whatever the subtitle was. Quite possibly one of the worst movies (why are the bad guys "Austin Powers" level of incompetent? Seriously, I swear the bad guys didn't really want to take over the world for they did everything they could have to make sure they would fail) I have ever seen and it STILL wasn't enough to get me to walk out.

Movies are not something I take lightly (minimal money) and so I am very careful about what I go see. Transformers 3 was a rare swing and a miss for me but for the most part, I enjoy whatever I go to see.