Poll: Have you ever walked out of a movie at the cinema?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
JasonBurnout16 said:
The only one I walked out of was Stardust. My friends convinced me to go to the cinema to see Saw or some Horror Movie even though we weren't 18, certain that we'd get in. Anyway we turn up and, true to my belief, we get ID'd. Only movie we can see is Stardust (LOL) so we end up walking out of the half an hour in.

I usually have studied a film enough before hand to know if I'm going to like it going in though.
You're kidding, right? I'm not sure which is weirder, the fact that you hated Stardust, one of the best and the single most fun and entertaining fantasy movie since the 80's, or the fact that you'd have preferred to go see a random horror movie. I like horror, but come on, you have to like schlock to appreciate most horror movies in the first place :p

OT: Can't say I've ever walked out on a movie. I just don't go to the theater all that often, and when I do it's for something I know ahead of time I'll enjoy. The most I've done in a year is about once a month with a group of friends, usually it's more like 4 or 5 times for movies that I absolutely have to see on the big screen. Otherwise I just wait for the DVD, since my sound system beats the local multiplexes anyway.

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
Never walked out of a movie, but I did go to see a local production of the musical Chicago and I left during intermission with no regrets. It was horrible but not even in the funny way. Just in the sad kind of "wow they're really kind of trying but this is painful to watch and is causing secondhand embarrassment" way.

Captcha: dish water. Dish water is a good way to describe about how spicy and exciting that production of Chicago was.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Never, but that's because I go to the movies with other people. I have fallen asleep during boring movies, like that Los Angeles movie with the war against aliens.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Never. I'm in the same boat as you, I refuse to let the movie beat me, no matter how bad it might be (Movie 43, Old Dogs, Meet the Spartans)

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
JasonBurnout16 said:
The only one I walked out of was Stardust. My friends convinced me to go to the cinema to see Saw or some Horror Movie even though we weren't 18, certain that we'd get in. Anyway we turn up and, true to my belief, we get ID'd. Only movie we can see is Stardust (LOL) so we end up walking out of the half an hour in.

I usually have studied a film enough before hand to know if I'm going to like it going in though.
You're kidding, right? I'm not sure which is weirder, the fact that you hated Stardust, one of the best and the single most fun and entertaining fantasy movie since the 80's, or the fact that you'd have preferred to go see a random horror movie. I like horror, but come on, you have to like schlock to appreciate most horror movies in the first place :p
Haha well when you're 14, you'll do anything to hang out with the cool kids. That includes trying to sneak into an 18 rated film, and walking out of a film already in progress. I have seen the film since then on TV a few times - it's alright, but I don't feel like I missed anything massive.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
JasonBurnout16 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
JasonBurnout16 said:

Haha well when you're 14, you'll do anything to hang out with the cool kids. That includes trying to sneak into an 18 rated film, and walking out of a film already in progress. I have seen the film since then on TV a few times - it's alright, but I don't feel like I missed anything massive.
That makes a bit more sense XD

And yeah, Stardust is great if you're into that kind of movie, but even then it's nothing life changing. It's just a fun fantasy movie along the lines of The Princess Bride or The Dark Crystal, which is a style of movie that's basically dead these days, unfortunately.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I've never walked out of a movie at the cinema, no. Going to see a movie is generally really expensive - it wasn't until I moved to York that I found reasonably priced movie theaters - and because of that I generally went to films I knew I wanted to see. To be fair, I've seen some crap movies before despite hoping they'd be good, but I've never walked out of a movie - because they're too pricey, I'd always felt it'd be a waste of money to walk out so instead I've fell asleep, or just sat laughing at the film with my friends. Probably the best example of that was Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which was so dull me and my friends were sat in an empty theater poking fun at it for the entire film.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Two: Tomb Raider, because it bored me, and Lost in Space, because it wasn't bad enough to be funny and because Wild Things was playing in the next theater. I sneaked in just in time to see Denise Richards dripping all over Matt Dillon's floor.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah I'm as broke as everybody else, so I don't do that on the rare occasions I go to the cinema. I'm careful about what I pick to see.

The closest I came was in Revenge of the Sith, which I pretty much hated all the way through, and only stayed because I was with friends.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
The only movie I ever walked out on was The Thin Red Line. I'm a really easy going person who can deal with a lot, but I have never in my life felt so offended by anything. I don't need my war movies to be jingoistic, heroic, or pandering, but I do need them to not be condescending as fuck.I sat there for what seemed like forever trying to not be pissed, but by the time I left my blood was boiling. I was so angry I couldn't even answer my fiance on our way home. Took me a few hours to calm down enough to talk about it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Only the once. Me & a friend walked out of Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. It was a pity, I'd enjoyed the first two.

Apr 24, 2008
Never have.

I do enough research to weed out the stuff that I'm REALLY not going to like beforehand. So when I find myself not enjoying a film, it's really something that should be up my alley... but there's something about the execution of the idea that doesn't work for me. I don't really get the impulse to get up and leave, I just don't focus. I think about why it's not working for me and what I'd do differently instead, if I were making the film.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I came really close while watching Swing Vote.

The only thing worse than a political dramedy with a squandered premise is a political dramedy with a squandered premise and absolutely no teeth.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Once, when I had to pee very badly, during a viewing of Matrix Reloaded. Somehow everything went wrong from that point on for reasons I'd rather not discuss. When I came back and sat down next to my mate, he just looked at me and whispered, "What the fuck, man? You were gone for 30 minutes".

"I don't want to talk about it. What happened?"

He gave me some quick exposition until someone shushed us. The rest of the movie proceeded without further incident.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
yep, scary movie... 3 or 4, I don't remember which. whichever one had the giant Ipod. I walked out of that movie without having laughed even once. the scene that did me in was the Brokeback Mountain "parody" where one guy is reaching for nuts... ugh, the single most boring and bland and... everything bad, writing ever. I think less of anybody who enjoys most parody movies anymore. They are all terrible (after Scary Movie 2, which was great) and I think myself far superior to you if you enjoy them.

kind of a dick thing to admit, but I'm just being honest here.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
II2 said:
Once, when I had to pee very badly, during a viewing of Matrix Reloaded. Somehow everything went wrong from that point on for reasons I'd rather not discuss. When I came back and sat down next to my mate, he just looked at me and whispered, "What the fuck, man? You were gone for 30 minutes".

"I don't want to talk about it. What happened?"

He gave me some quick exposition until someone shushed us. The rest of the movie proceeded without incident until we left.
no, you are required by the laws of the internet to share this story now. what happened? Republican Toe Tap? Beans Above The Frank? Urinary Pants Infection? pinned down and jerked off by a hobo? I MUST KNOW

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I only really go to movies that I've read a little on, so I've never actually been to one bad enough that I wanted to leave. If that did happen for some reason...I'd probably sit through it anyway. Partially this is the fallacy of "I've spent money on it, so I should experience it even if I don't enjoy it", partially because it might actually have a gem or two later, and partially because it feels rude. To who, I have no idea, but nonetheless.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I don't have a lot of money to spend on night's out. So on the very rare occasion I do go and see a film (seriously, I visit the pictures maybe 2-3 times a year) I want to get my money's worth even if the film is a bit of a dud. And I have definitely sat through films I didn't enjoy at the pictures all the way to the end because I felt like it'd be a waste of money otherwise. Clash of the Titans comes to mind. Ugh.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Never even considered it. But I almost never go to the movies, maybe not even once a year. So I only go to things I really want to see, and often I already know the reviews.