Poll: Have you ever walked out of a movie at the cinema?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I've never walked out and i don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. One of the reasons is that i usually go to the cinema with friends and i wouldn't want to leave them behind, it's always fun to discuss how bad it was when it's over. Though i will say that i haven't watched many truly bad films in the cinema, so it could happen in the future. I also always watch movies to the end when i'm at home i think i can count the number of movies i switched off because i couldn't stand anymore could be counted on one hand: (Postman, Transformers 2, League of Extraordinary gentlemen and 2012). But that doesn't mean i haven't watched a lot of shit, i just have a tendency to see things through till the end, some kind of morbid curiosity maybe.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Can't say I have.

For me to walk out on a film, it would need to be some kind of racist / extreme-right film that I would surely get associated with for watching AKA a neonazi meeting of some kind.
Either that or a very urgent matter that came up.

I do not usually go to a film when I don't know for sure that it'll somewhat interest me. I have seen some bad movies with friends who enjoy different kinds of stuff, but we usually just stay to discuss how bad we found it. You need to pay like 10 euros after all.

Malevolentcafe

Mar 29, 2013
I've fallen asleep during the first Chronicles of Narnia film, aside from that I've never walked out of a movie theater, I like to witness these kinds of train wrecks from the front row.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
yes i did, half way through Borat i couldn't stand the film any longer and walked out. i told my friends who wanted to see the film that i wasn't very keen on the film, but they insisted. they had a great time, but i asked for a refund, which ended up being a ticket for another film the next time i decide to watch a film.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Once, when I went to see Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets...

for the 4th time...in like a week...

Yeah. I went to see it with my sister, then my parents, then my friends, then that kid we all know that we kinda have to hang out with and his friends who were all total assholes...

So I was sick of this movie, and I didn't like the company I was in...so about halfway through it, I just stood up and dusted off a fun little Futurama quote.

"I'm sick of this room and everyone in it!"

and then I just walked out and hung out in the arcade and went to the nearby game shop until people came to get me.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Strain42 said:
So I was sick of this movie, and I didn't like the company I was in...so about halfway through it, I just stood up and dusted off a fun little Futurama quote.

and then I just walked out and hung out in the arcade and went to the nearby game shop until people came to get me.
And I'm sure that everyone else in the theater greatly appreciated your charming wit that you demonstrated by standing up and quoting Futurama in the middle of the movie...

skyojedi

Jun 10, 2011
I've walked out of two movies - Dungeonmaster,I believe it was called (saw it a long time ago - in the 80s - fantasy D&D wanna-be) and Ace Ventura 2: Pet Detective. Those two films were just so stupid, I felt like my IQ was dropping for every minute I continued to watch. The more amusing thing about AV2:pD was that I saw it in a dollar theater, and I still felt ripped off!

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
No. In fact, a long time ago my brother and I accidentally walked into the wrong movie (we had been told the line we were waiting in was for the movie we had gone to see, but it obviously was not) and just ended up staying to watch that movie instead. I don't even remember what movie it was. I just remember it was wrong - because my brother kept saying, "This isn't right." Duh. In hindsight, we probably should have gotten up and found where our movie was, but we just,...didn't.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I haven't walked out of a movie yet. Granted I don't really go to the cinema often, and when I do, it's only for movies that I'm 100% sure I want to see and only after I've heard some reviews about it, preferrably non-spoilery ones. If I don't hear anything that'll completely turn me off from it, then I'll go see it. With that being said, I'm hoping that doing so will keep me from seeing movies that I'd walk out of.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
the last air bender, at the 10 min mark I got up left the theater and got my money back. I was not the only one.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
Walked out of the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Way too long to tell way too shit a story.

JKain

Mar 15, 2011
"Other" - Only time I walked out about 10min before the End of "Das weisse Rauschen"(D) during Viennale (Vienna Film Festival), because otherwise I would've missed the start of the next movie in another cinema which interested me a bit more (That Year I saw up to 4 Movies a Day). -haven't seen the Ending yet

2 Times I fell asleep at least once for a short while:

1 was "Gerry" by Gus Van Sant - 2 Guys (Matt Damon and Casey Affleck) lost in the desert.
Imagine a Scene without cut where you watch them just walking for 10minutes without dialogue -thats pretty much the "Gerry"-Experience /felt 5hours long,but hilarious in retrospect when you wonder how you endured/suffered through the whole thing (for a real good/entertaining review I recommend "Oancitizen"s on TGWTG)

The Other was a Japanese Film (don't remember the title) where the story is about a Boy and a Girl who decide to commit suicide together by building some sort of a Giant Termite-Hill and then jumping off the top together...
If that sounds somewhat different in a unique/weird/interesting way I need to add that the Movie was about 3h30min long and more than 2/3rds was just them building that thing in the forest without conversation and nature still-shots in between for minutes without cut....mmmmyeah...I fell asleep more than once in that one

So I guess I got high level of tolerance enduring movies...If it's boring I use every impulse i can get to analyze the **** out of it - or if its just stupid I commentate/riff/criticise/curse it in my head.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Nope, never. But, I tend to do some research and see if the movie piques my interest before wasting my money on it. It usually turns out alright. Sometimes I get of there and slap a 3/5 to it, but it's never THAT bad

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Strain42 said:

And I'm sure that everyone else in the theater greatly appreciated your charming wit that you demonstrated by standing up and quoting Futurama in the middle of the movie...
I'm sensing sarcasm...but seeing as how it was only a 4 second interruption during a slow part of the movie and I actually did get quite a few laughs on my way out, I can't imagine I completely ruined anyone's movie going experience. Also there were only like 9 other people in that room (14 if you county the group I was with) and by that point all of them had been a bigger disruption than I had (including but not limited to the PDA couple that wasn't even trying to keep their making out quiet, the person who didn't understand how to turn off the beeps when typing a text, and the guy who brought an entire Burger King meal into the theatre with crinkly wrappers aplenty)

Believe you me, I'm well aware of the annoyances of a loud mouth in a theatre. I go to a movie now and I don't even like to laugh too loud or too long at a joke. I can't even remember the last time I went to a movie and there wasn't someone in the theatre giving their color commentary throughout the whole thing and it drives me nuts.

Am I PROUD of my actions? No, not really. This was 2002. I was 12 at the time. I don't think I'm proud of anything I did at that age. But I stand by them, and I don't regret them. It was way better than another hour and a half of being in a room with those people and a movie I was already starting to dislike halfway through my second viewing of it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Strain42 said:
tippy2k2 said:
I'm sensing sarcasm...but seeing as how it was only a 4 second interruption during a slow part of the movie and I actually did get quite a few laughs on my way out, I can't imagine I completely ruined anyone's movie going experience. Also there were only like 9 other people in that room (14 if you county the group I was with) and by that point all of them had been a bigger disruption than I had (including but not limited to the PDA couple that wasn't even trying to keep their making out quiet, the person who didn't understand how to turn off the beeps when typing a text, and the guy who brought an entire Burger King meal into the theatre with crinkly wrappers aplenty)

Believe you me, I'm well aware of the annoyances of a loud mouth in a theatre. I go to a movie now and I don't even like to laugh too loud or too long at a joke. I can't even remember the last time I went to a movie and there wasn't someone in the theatre giving their color commentary throughout the whole thing and it drives me nuts.

Am I PROUD of my actions? No, not really. This was 2002. I was 12 at the time. I don't think I'm proud of anything I did at that age. But I stand by them, and I don't regret them. It was way better than another hour and a half of being in a room with those people and a movie I was already starting to dislike halfway through my second viewing of it.
It was half sarcasm and half passive aggressiveness :)

I figured there was more to the story and I was hoping to coax it out of you (I probably should have said that in my first post).

It sounds weird but distractions like that do absolutely kill a movie for me (which is why it's rare I go to the theater; some dude was texting the entire time during Pacific Rim and my one regret I will have on my death bed is not dumping my bucket of popcorn on his head when I realized he wasn't going to stop; yeah you're quiet dude but I can see a blaring light from your seat the entire freaking movie!!! Argh...someone invent a time machine so I can dump my popcorn on the dude) but I figured there was more to the story that would make it a bit more justified.

Also, to loop it all the way back around to my original post on the first page (about Transformers: Bond Villain special [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.839759-Poll-Have-you-ever-walked-out-of-a-movie-at-the-cinema#20628451]), there was a kid who kept running around during the movie (like...weaving in each aisle so he'd run in front of our chairs). If the movie wasn't so bad, there is a very real chance that I'd have tripped the little shit to get him to stop running around. Heartless and evil? A little. Worth it? Eh....probably not but I'm going to anyway if you don't stop running around!!!

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Never walked out of a movie, but I have left a film for various reasons (all when I was a child).

Babe: Sheep Pig in the City when I was about 5, because it was a dreadful film and one bit made me cry (I was 5!), and Peter Pan: Return to Neverland when I was 8, due to seeing it on a school trip and my school wanting us to be back in school before lunch, thus forcing us to miss the last 15 minutes. Was a pity, as I was enjoying it!

Walking out due to disgust? Never happened.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Only to go to the toilet.

Ba dum tish!

I came close to leaving the room during a home viewing of Inglorious Basterds though, but I clenched my jaw, gritted my teeth and reminded myself that I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to watch it with the family.

LessThanInformed

Dec 31, 2013
Only once and that was during "The Pursuit Of Happiness" because quite frankly it was so boring I
could not take another minute of it, it was right around the time he was crying in a bathroom that I mentally
Declared I was done.