Poll: Have you ever walked out of a movie at the cinema?

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I actually walked out of the first Hobbit. Not because the film was bad (in fact, it's probably the film that I've most enjoyed in something like five years), but because the cinema was ridiculous. Picture a screen the size of that of a normal cinema fixed to a room slightly larger than the size of the average classroom, air conditioned in winter for some damn reason, and the sound turned up entirely too high to the point where my ears started genuinely hurting 30 minutes in. Add on to that me being quite ill at the time and the room being packed pushing my fear of crowds a bit too far, and you've got yourself me bolting out at the 45 minute mark.

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
I've never walked out... but I did fall asleep during 300. What a boring, awful, nonsensical movie... only redeeming feature is occasional displays of interesting cinematography. Also, since I have a degree in History, it made me very annoyed on quite a few levels.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I guess the only time I've actually walked out of a movie screening before it was over was the time my friends convinced me to watch that damned Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd movie. It was so boring that I didn't even stay for the first half hour. Buying that ticked was probably the worst way I've spent money in my entire life.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
We walked out of Cars because my little brother decided to loudly announce that he was bored.
To be fair, he was only four at the time. And it was boring.

I think that's the only time though.

Wyatt Wilkerson

Dec 16, 2013
i have never walked out i very rarely go to movies i'm not sure of there have been a few but often if their bad enough to leave i'm with my friends so we just make fun of how bad the movie is.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Nope. There's been a few times that I left to inform that staff of a technical problem (broken film....burnt out bulb) but always remained to watch the movie once it was fixed. Actually, I can think of only one movie that I watched and never finished. That film is The Good Shepherd. I rented it back when Blockbuster was thing. Sat down to watch it with my wife and after an hour we turned it off and returned it the same day. Had we been in the theater, we probably would have left. It was just so freakin' dull which is impressive given cast.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Only once. Tree of Life. I later learned that a significant number of people around the country were doing the same thing around the same minute mark I did. It was simply hard to watch. I hated it. Not just bored or anything else. If boredom was all it took then the time I watched Ghostrider would have been walked out of too.

It was somewhat painful to watch. The camera angles, the color and sound distortions. Hated every moment. I apologised profusely when I asked for a movie voucher for another movie but I didn't want them to get my money at all.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Yeah, when I was like five my mom took me to see Attack of the Clones.

Even as a five year-old, that Star Wars movie was shit.

My mom agreed and we left.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Never walked out of a movie, even though my parents were shocked and kind of appalled at South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.

I regret that I fell asleep through part of "The Adjustment Bureau" because I was tired, even though I was really enjoying the movie, but that is the only time I have ever missed part of a movie I paid for.

Jessabi

Jul 26, 2011
Nope, but just recently I seriously wanted to walk out of American Hustle. The most boring, waste-of-time movie I've suffered through in a very long time. My mum felt the same way but was determined to see if through to the end, so we stayed. Irony was that it was me who dragged her to it, thinking I was going to love it. God was I wrong! The fact that it is up for so many Oscars, including best writing (what?!), baffles me to no end!

Silvershock

Jul 12, 2013
I never have, but the two I came close to doing it with were Terminator 3 and the Star Trek reboot, both painful sodomisings of my childhood.

I didn't walk out of Star Trek XI because my friend and I knew that if we did, then one of the braying morons that seemed to make up the rest of its audience would tell us that the ending was AMAZEBALLS and totally made up for it all, we missed the best bit, our opinions are invalid, etc.

I didn't walk out of Terminator 3 partly because I was with my girlfriend, and partly because I was too stunned at what had just happened. It was the first of the rehashing fad that I remember seeing, and definitely the most painful.

I would also have walked out of Crash, had I actually managed to see it at the cinema. What a pretentious, badly written pile of dross.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Thirding walking out of The Last Airbender. I made it... I think to shortly after the Haru sequence with the Pebble Dance. I came back in during the Siege of the North solely because my siblings and nephew were still there.

Lurklen

Feb 2, 2010
I've never walked out of a movie except once when the theatre lost power halfway and everyone had to leave. I just tend to see movies I'll like and I find the merit in those I don't or enjoy picking apart why they didn't work for me after.

However I have had the problem with people talking. The most recent time was during the last James Bond movie Skyfall(Which I really enjoyed) there was this kid looked about 11-13, he was this chubby little guy seeing the movie with his mom. So he's down at the end of the row my friends and I are sitting in and through the beginning of the movie he's quiet but about halfway through he just starts yelling at the movie. Stupid stuff like "Yeah right, that's impossible!" or "What a bunch of bullcrap!" and stuff and it'd be one thing if it happened once or even twice but like whenever anything happened even like perfectly normal things he'd start yelling about it. James bond gets punched and the kids yelling "He'd be dead... FAKE!"

People shushed him and stuff but he ignored them and his mother just did the "I'm shaking my head and smiling at how obnoxious my kid is but I'm not gonna do anything about it." So finally I turned and said loud enough that everyone could hear "Shut the F#&@ up kid, other people are watching the movie and none of us want to hear your crap." his mom looked shocked and he got a stupid look on his face like he was truly surprised that other people did not enjoy his commentary. He was quiet until the last bit where the bad guy buys it but then all he did was cheer. I can't say I'm proud of yelling at children but I've had to do it more often than I ever thought would be necessary. I have five younger brothers so I'm not just some nut who hates kids or something I get sometimes they're loud and it can be hard but a lot of people just seem to let them run around doing whatever wherever even if they're bothering other people.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
My friends and I walked out on There Will Be Blood. In our defense, even if the movie is considered good, we walked into it completely wrong. It was a Friday night, the movie was too damn long, someone had informed us that it was good which is why we decided to go to it but with that title and no prior knowledge of the film we expected an action movie...which we clearly didn't get, wrong mindset. So to salvage our night we left and missed that milkshake part, too bad because that part was pretty damn sweet. Myself and one other friend actually just wanted to wait the film out but everyone else had agreed to go, so we obviously went along with the rest of our group.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
I was really close to walking out of Avatar. I went in knowing nothing and then I was just incredibly bored. I would have left, but my friend who drove me there wanted to stay. If I walked out without him, I'd have no way home.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
No, mostly because I don't really watch movies at the theaters due to 'reasons' but I have walked out of movies that were put on in the living room.

Silent Hill Revengance-
I dunno what this movies actual subtitle is, but it starts with an "R", which basically is the tell tale sign of a pile of shit movie. This movie had potential, I liked the first one despite it's issues with story vs the game. This movie seemed to have no idea what it wanted to do, worse off was it's sacrifice of camera angles/creepy angles whatever- because the movie was clearly meant to be watched in 3D where everything was rubbed in your face like "LOOK I'M IN 3D ISN'T THIS COOL".
But like an annoying child it was just annoying. The movie didn't do anything or go anywhere and by the time the curse of Silent Hill came into play with the movie it was too late and underwhelming.

The movie stands as a true piece of shit that spits on the original story, movie making in general, being a general cash in trying to reel in fans with shitty call backs and doing nothing right in the end. I truly hated this movie.

I can only sum this up by saying I felt like the movie was Who Framed Roger Rabbit but taking itself much too seriously and being insultingly simple. "Unuptainium" is something you'd think would be in Rocky and Bowinkle ...you know because of upsidasiam.
I'm all for light hearted movies and I love the hell out of sci-fi- but the movie just seemed to be taking itself way to seriously for such a simplistic story with a dumb message and cartoonish villains.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
I have a Unlimited Card from Cineworld so if a movie is bad I don't feel as angry as if I had just paid about £8 for a ticket. That being said, Only god forgives made me almost walk out to sit in the car, it's an atrocious film.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
SAMAS said:
Thirding walking out of The Last Airbender. I made it... I think to shortly after the Haru sequence with the Pebble Dance. I came back in during the Siege of the North solely because my siblings and nephew were still there.
The Last Airbender for me as well. I was there with to friends who actually walked out before a while before I did. Then I realized that the entire invasion of the north pole wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense with firebenders who can't create their own fire... and walked out, before I had to see this actually happening.