Poll: Have you lost a good friend to drugs?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
crack is whack.. none of my friends do drugs that are realistically capable of killing them outright. sucks for your friend though.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Not yet, thank God. I don't have any friends (to my knowledge) that use drugs, but I know that when you start it's tough to stop. I hope they all make the right choices.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Almost did one time. Though it happened before I knew him.
Also it's a fucking travesty that this song hasn't been posted yet.

And before people rush to tell me the song is about medication not helping someone dying from cancer, I know. But one of the great things about music, is we can all lend our own context to it.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
A friend from high school committed suicide a few days ago via overdose, but was not addicted to whatever he used.

Actually, no one that I'm really friends with even takes any drugs that are a) physically addictive or b) able to be overdosed on, other than alcohol. I have a friend that has tried coke once, but he's the responsible type that wouldn't ever use a chemical enough to get addicted to it.

The stuff my friends do take are physically harmless (marijuana, LSD, ecstasy, shrooms), especially when compared to cigarettes or alcohol or stuff that SHOULD be considered a hard drug by comparison.

In that sense, I feel like society is way too biased when it comes to drugs. Most people just assume that all are physically addictive or can even be overdosed on.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm not generally a friend with drug addicts like most of the people here indicate. But you don't always know which friends have a problem with the stuff. I had to answer yes to this poll, but in a roundabout way. My friend didn't die, his brain was fried by whatever it was he had (he can't give a straight account two times in a row about what happened). I visit him sometimes in the ward he's at, he was sent there after nearly burning a house down (the story he tells is that there were flames everywhere and that he was putting out the bad flames and leaving the good flames...) and there are moments when it feels like old times and then something clicks and he goes off on the most confusing and concerning tangents. Completely schizophrenic and devastatingly sad considering how much promise he held.

I remember the last conversation I had with him. He was smoking cigarettes (a far cry from whatever did this to him) and was feeling particularly guilty about it. He spent a long car ride trying to justify it to me when I hadn't said anything to him about it. I told him when he was finished with his case that if he felt he had to justify it then he probably knew he shouldn't be doing it. We didn't really hang out after that for some reason and a few months later and he was forever changed. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't really the cigarettes he was talking about. If he was perhaps trying to rationalize drugs altogether to me. I wish he'd confided more in me but that was all I got. I can't tell you how often I think about that conversation and wish I'd been able to do more. I thought we were going to hang out the next day too and continue hanging out like we'd done for the previous years. Guess you don't know how much time you have with a person.

I'm sorry about your loss. Death is a more certain loss. I just know that you can't blame yourself for choices they made, especially if you tried to help them make the right ones. We coincidentally also enjoyed music together. He taught me to play guitar and I am now classically trained, something he's quite proud of and still asks me during phone calls. There's no sure-fire way to help addicts. At some level, they've got to want to quit. Each person can have a different underlying cause and knowing that can help you work it out with them. I'd recommend researching what kind of facilities and programs are available in the area and try to find one you can get behind sending friends to. But just know that no response fits all and all you can do is try to help.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Almost. Nearly lost a sibling around 10 years ago to various drugs, but they've been clean(except cigarettes, but those don't kill you nearly as quick) ever since.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Strazdas said:
Yes. i stopped being friends when i found out he used drugs.
Lord Garnaat said:
I don't have any friends (to my knowledge) that use drugs
NightmareExpress said:
For whatever reason, I have never been capable of being the friend of a drug user.
You know that alcohol and cigarettes are drugs too?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
HardkorSB said:
Strazdas said:
Lord Garnaat said:
NightmareExpress said:
For whatever reason, I have never been capable of being the friend of a drug user.
Yes. ANd i do not hang around with people who abuse either.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
HardkorSB said:
Strazdas said:
Lord Garnaat said:
NightmareExpress said:
I suppose that's true. I'm not friends with anyone who smokes though (can't stand the smell), and to be honest I don't have many friends who drink either. Most of them are sensible enough not to, or at least not very often.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Not yet.

But my friends are fairly responsible for drug users. We take each other's stash and put it somewhere if we're too fucked up to function and keep each other's keys to avoid DUIs. It's been a full-proof system thus far.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Sort of. We were drifting apart anyway, but he became a completely different person.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
Yes one of my friends well more like a casual acquaintance than a real friend probably how i got over it so fast
well anyway she got hooked on P and blew through everything she had and borrowed until there was noone left who would giver her a loan i think thats where she turned to shop lifting to finance the habit she had stopped returning my calls for a little while after i refused her request for an informal loan so i didn't know she died from a bad batch or something until her mother called me to ask if i be at the funeral

now maybe its because i am a bit self absorbed but for ages i kept wondering if i should have spotted the problem but no one really did or if they did they didn't act on the knowledge though hindsight is 20/20

Sep 14, 2009
eh not lost as in died, although i've known 4-5 kids who i went to high school with that died from drugs, but i do know quite a few who it's become their obsession and they've completely dropped out of the bright life they had in front of them.

i generally am not friends with people who do drugs, as i can't stand the smell of most of it, it smells worse than shit, but there are some people here and there that i tolerate it to be friends with them.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
No, but my brother was a real **** around the time he started smoking weed.
He's stopped being as cunty as time has gone on but I'd still rather he didn't.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Sort of?
I lost my grandfather to lung cancer because he was a very, very heavy smoker. Used a pipe, too. And nicotine is kind of a drug, I guess. Plus, my mother's boyfriend also has lung cancer because of heavy smoking, that's spread to his abdomen and back rib-cage.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i dont hang around anyone who does drugs, not even people that smoke so, no.

if my friends suddenly started taking drugs, well, sorry to say they wouldnt be my friends anymore.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
I've had a few good friends saved thanks to drugs, legal or illegal. Some people merely need to chill out.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
A childhood friend to drunk driving at 18. Worst part was I heard about it on the radio. I wasn't with him the night he got drunk and drove into a tree and his mother (only person he lived with) was understandably too distraught to immediately tell her sons friends. I was at a store where they had the local radio on and they told the story with his full name. Standing there looking for new trousers to buy and hearing a friend of mine for 12 years died to something so stupid and pointless sticks with you.

As for not dead friends, but those I no longer talk to as a result, 3 of my friends from high school became total potheads after starting uni and moving out of their parents' place. Couldn't be bothered to keep dealing with a bunch of people who can't finish a single sentence and just sit and stare into space all day.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Basically. Just after high school a friend of mine moved away. He got into heroin. While high he hung himself.