Poll: 'Haxor!' What Are The Cheapest Weapons and Tactics in Online Videogames?

KrakFoxx

Oct 29, 2009
This could be a dangerous thing to say, but, I don't think there are any cheap tactics as such, I think that if you can use something good, then do so. But obviously there are those who will use only those tactics which is stupid and cheap... so I think it's cheap players, not tactics... maybe, just my opinion.

...but I hate spawn-killers with a vengeance.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
AvsJoe said:
Cheapest weapon? I can't remember its name but the one-shot, you're-dead sniper rifle from Counterstrike. Every other weapon was a-ok but once you heard the signature BANG of the n00b-cannon, everyone, myself included, went apeshit!
Frequently misquoted as the AWP, the real rifle it's based off is the:
Arctic
Warfare
Super
Magnum

See what Valve did there?
I agree with you, it easy qualifies as the cheapest weapon in gaming ever. Not least for it's decade long reign terror.
The weapon gets my vote. There was no faster way to ruin a LAN party than to bust out magnum. Seriously, one shot ANYWHERE, then dead.

BeeRye

Mar 4, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
BeeRye said:
It's the awp and it's probably the most skilled weapon in the game.
Nah, that's the scout, all the accuracy and fire rate of the AWSM, but requiring a much higher degree of precision on the shooter's part.
No one playing at a high level of the game would agree. The scout's only use is pissing people off when you are already hammering the other team. The thing everyone seems to forget is that you zip around faster with a scout out than you do with a knife, and that the scout's noscope goes almost dead straight. I can reel off dozen's of awpers but no scouters whatsoever (unless you want to count Nightfall lol :D).

CommyGingerbreadMan

Dec 22, 2009
Nothing is really all that cheap, there are ways around it. For one the knife and the lancer (Or ANY melee weapon in an FPS). . . well do I have to point out you do in fact have a GUN.

Are there ones that piss me off to no end? YES. In GoW it was the shotgunning idiots who thought it was the only gun. The chainsaw was no where near annoying as a shotgun shot from the hip that could instant kill you from medium range (Or far range could down you if they got lucky and some shots went into your head!) In CoD it's commando, I will defend knives till the end, but when a game has to lagg because not everyones connection is perfect, don't make a move that turns someone into Goku. Honestly if I get caught from the front by a command perk, it's because he ate ALL my bullets (I've even heard my shotgun go off looking straight at the guy and he gets off scott free, no red screen even). I also can't stand thermal scopes, but that's only because your weapons have heat signatures apparently.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Is this MW2 thread?

Either way, noob tube spam is the overall worst to me, MW2 specific is the shotgun and tele knifing.

I don't mind being stabbed or blasted with a shotgun but when the people using them know there overpowered then I loathe it.

There have been a few times on MW2 were I have heard my shotgun (AA12) go off but no bullets left the gun on mine or there screen.

As for the knifing, if you can get close enough to do then good on you, if your 2 arm lengths away and you perforate me I am a little ticked off.

CommyGingerbreadMan said:
your weapons have heat signatures apparently.
Of course weapons have heat signatures.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Prometherion said:
Knives, its like all FPS's think that military ingenuity peaked with the blade.

One hit kill, instant unsheathing, pierces all body armour.

Makes u wonder why u have a gun really.
Doesn't count for FPS's that aren't CoD. Ones where you actually have to select the knife not just have it a click away. In games like that knives are a perfectly fair tactic.
Ahhh that takes me back many a year ago there was an FPS called Delta Force: Land Warrior it had a knife in it but you had to push the 1 on your keyboard to take it out then get within 2 feet of someone to actually kill them with it, now there was a glitch in the game with the Ctrl key being hotkeyed by default to shoot but if you held it down then any single shot weapon (via mouse) would fire at the speed of a machine gun including the knife (and the 6 shot grenade launcher but that's a different story) one match I took out the knife and held down Ctrl then alt+tabbed out (because for reasons unknown to me the game still thinks you have the key held down even if it isn't) and ran around the enemy spawn for the entire match died twice and killed their entire team at least 5 times

Moral of the Story: even if the knife isn't one click away it can still be used to piss off the entire enemy team and get you called a hacker

berault

Nov 5, 2009
Akimbo Shotguns, a shotgun that can kill you from medium range in one shot is unfair and un-counterable.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
In any FPS whenever someone kills me, regardless of what they are doing (even if they have the same weapons as me) they are using a cheap tactic and are a "fucking noob".

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Any game with "power weapons" scattered around the map instantly has a plethora of cheap tactics, but in general I find rocket launchers/explosives etc to be very overpowered. They're usually not very fun to use, either, with terrible explosions and lack of environmental destrusction.

Also, freaking tanks. People say that they require teamwork to operate, but the driver usually also controls the main cannon, which is bullshit because one player can destroy several others easily without much talent.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Prometherion said:

Doesn't count for FPS's that aren't CoD. Ones where you actually have to select the knife not just have it a click away. In games like that knives are a perfectly fair tactic.
Yeah, but knives in those games are just awkward to use. True, it's more realistic than suddenly pulling a knife out of your gun, but it's still a pain to do. Which is probably why it's getting less and less common lately.

OT: Explosives. I always hated explosives in any game. Especially MW2, when they have danger close on.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Only screen looking and actually hacking and modding the game are methods of cheating. Basically things not already in game. If it's something in game, suck it up. It isn't unfair. It's the way the game works.

Even camping, people, is 100% legitimate.

Prometherion said:

Body armor doesn't stop knives. Modern armor is made to adsorb bullets, not stop cutting weapons.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I think camping is cheap in games like free for all but when you have to defend an objective it is smart to have one or two people defend it.

What I think is cheap is when someone finds a glitch in the game and than just keeps using it.

Daxter343

Dec 9, 2009
As far as non-hacking cheapness goes, I'd have to say noob-tubes and spawn-killing/spawn-camping. Of course, it's okay to use a grenade launcher in a strategic situation, but people who use it in lieu of actually aiming the weapon and firing bullets are pretty much cheating.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
dimensione510 said:
Also, freaking tanks. People say that they require teamwork to operate, but the driver usually also controls the main cannon, which is bullshit because one player can destroy several others easily without much talent.
While some do require teamwork to operate, most need teamwork to bring them down. The best series that I can think of for having vehicles in multiplayer is Battlefield. They have specific anti-tank kits, and while it is possible to take on out by yourself, teamwork is a major factor in helping them. Whether it be the tank vs. tank fight where you have an engineer helping you, or having your friend distract it while you sneak around to get a rocket in it's weaker back armor, there are a few tactics you can use against them efficiently.

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
muffincakes said:
The only cheap tactic that I can think of is the one where people whine about the tactics that other people use because they are too lazy or stupid to think of a way around it, and that prevents me from concentrating on what I'm doing. Double points go to those who do it in-game so that I actually have to stop playing in order to mute them, and then I die while doing that.

Side note for safety: This is NOT directed at the OP(specifically). It is instead directed at anyone who whines about almost anything being unfair. It's not. Get over it.
This cubed.

If someone does something that you can do to them its not cheap. Theres nothing stopping anyone from employing any of these tactics and weapons.

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Teddy Roosevelt said:
Body armor doesn't stop knives. Modern armor is made to adsorb bullets, not stop cutting weapons.
In terms of CoD, it makes you wonder why the knife in you pocket is more effective than a shotgun in close quarters.

Or in Halo why the butt of the gun kills faster than the side the bullets come out.