Poll: Help finalize the list of contenders for the Second Annual Reader's Choice Game of the Year

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
We have narrowed down the list of definite entries for the upcoming Second Annual Reader's Choice Game of the Year to fourteen. We just need your help to figure out the final two games to compete.

Here are the fourteen games that are definitely going to be included:
Alien: Isolation
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls II
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Destiny
Titanfall
Sunset Overdrive
Watch Dogs
Super Smash Bros. (3DS)
Hearthstone
Mario Kart 8
FarCry 4
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Assassin's Creed Unity

We just need two more games for the final sixteen. So we've compiled a list of contenders for the coveted spots. We just need your input to pick the last two games. We've included a poll, and the top two picks will be included in the running for Reader's Choice GotY 2014.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Ah man, no Slaughtering Grounds?

In absence of that game, I opted for Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, can't wait for later this month :-D

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
My god. I wish to know how you can get that many options in a poll.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Aerosteam said:
My god. I wish to know how you can get that many options in a poll.
I wonder why they don't just have it split into several columns so it doesn't take up all that space. Still, the number of options alone is impressive. I sense the hand of the dark ones at work.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Transistor all the way! Beautiful, emotional game which is my personal GOTY. And funnily enough it's already been released (unlike some of those already confirmed).

RagingTiger

Sep 23, 2014
I really don't like the idea of adding games that aren't released yet, seems more like hype rewarding than choice awards. As hopeful as I am for DA:I, I got that nagging in the back of my mind reminding me of my DA2 and ME3 disappointment.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
1. inFamous Second Son
2. Banner Saga

But I digress, anything added to this poll after it has been initiated won't get a fair shake.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
But I'm damn sure Wolfenstein: The New Order was one of the best games I played this year, and hope it gets a spot on the list.
Also, hadn't really played anything else yet. Year of the backlog for me.

RagingTiger said:
I really don't like the idea of adding games that aren't released yet, seems more like hype rewarding than choice awards. As hopeful as I am for DA:I, I got that nagging in the back of my mind reminding me of my DA2 and ME3 disappointment.
I agree with this. I'm sure I'll have fun with ORAS or Persona Q, but there's no way to tell. No one has experience with the release of these (or the localized one, in the case of Persona Q), they can't be fairly compared to the competition.
Also, Far Cry 4 won't even be out by the time that the list is finalized.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Torn between Diablo: Reaper of Souls and Divinity: Original Sin.

I just can't quit RoS. I take breaks, I come back, and it's in better shape than when I left it. Every time. Then again DOS had me glued to my chair in total Forever Alone mode for the better part of two weeks. For the itch they each set out to scratch, they're both tops.

At least I know I can fill in Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall Director's Cut as a rock solid #3.

---

And now I've actually read the article. Your list is a joke without Divinity Original Sin on it. Like something a PR company would hand out.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Going through the list... they're all really mediocre, or not all that memorable. Certainly none stand out as unique or innovating. I can't pick two.

From what I have installed and still play somewhat regularly, I'd say, in no particular order:

GRID Autosport
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Skyrim! Because I'm a few years behind the times!
Alright, alright. What games from 2014 have I actually played? Neverending Nightmares, I guess. But that's not one of the options.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
There are quite a few on there that I think should be added, but I'll have to go with these two:

- Hyrule Warriors
- Bravely Default

I think Walking Dead season 2 and Wolf Among Us have a fair chance without my vote, so I wish them luck as well!

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Voted Wasteland 2, as it's the only one I've played.

I curse you from the depths of my heart for not including Slaughtering Grounds!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I voted for Wolfenstien for actually having some quite interesting mechanics in the stale FPS genre. The plot kind of meandered around sometimes and sometimes the game's tone really jarred like:
when you've just finished the, far too short, moonwalk section fighting Nazi drones on the moon with neon lasers and having blasted your way through a ton of moon Nazi's on the preceding base you sit down and have a flashback ridden scene where the main character cuts a concentration camp number tattoo out of his arm with a scalpel, and then it's back to shooting more Nazi's with lasers.

But I loved the cover cutting laser and the mix of health packs, regenerating health and overcharging health that the game used so it got my vote.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Poor Shadowrun returns and D4, criminally overlooked games that probably won't change anytime soon.