Poll: High School was...

Fried_beans

Sep 14, 2009
I am almost through high school and I was just wondering how it was like to others. Reply to the pole and leave a reply giving a summary or reason or just a little anecdote. Honestly high school isn't that bad but it's definately not great

Fried_beans

Sep 14, 2009
Sorry for some reason my text doesn't show. What I said is:
I'm finishing high school and it's been a pretty good experience and I was wondering what the people of the Escapist thought. Just answer the poll and leave a reply with a reason or summary or experience.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Meh,it was ok. I was able to just kind of float through, getting good grades without trying (the exception being Spanish, my inability to pass that damnable class sealed my fate of going to a community college before university). I had a lot of acquaintances but only a couple people who I really consider to be friends, of course not many of the people I actually hung out with were the partying type, so we just played video games together. I never got picked on, was never bullied, so its not like I have horrible memories, it was just boring.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Godawful in nearly every conceivable way. I was large, disabled, and started puberty at nine and had C-cup bras by age eleven. In an itty-bitty rural HS in the 1980s. I didn't have a chance.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I didn't get picked on, made damn good grades without studying, and held high leadership positions in JROTC, but it's still not an experience I'd repeat.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
High school wasn't too bad for me; not the best time, but alright. I had awkward moments and so forth, but I learned from them. I also gained some of my best friends back in High School, so there's that.

M Rotter

Dec 18, 2010
Hah, this is almost exactly my experience :) good grades, officer in JROTC, the only additions are drugs of various kinds...still graduated DAP scholar and in the top ten percent of my class. Wasnt bad but i wouldnt repeat it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
mna this is gonne get depressing

neither great nor terrilbe...had I few serious misteps, but came out of it ok

and anyone whos says its the best time of your life should

shut....the fuck...UP

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
7-10 = Hell
11-12 = Alright

Christian schools are hell.
At least, mine was.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I loved high school, I think it was one of the best times in my life.
School in general was easy, I ended up staying in school until like 7 pm every day because of clubs and other activities, I had a slew of friends and I had fun most of the time.
But I was one of those odd kids who never joined one of those archetypal clicks and instead I was able to mingle with almost all of them.

Highschool was also sweetened because my grade school really sucked terribly in the 8th grade. In my grade school being in the 8th grade traditionally meant that you were pretty much handed the keys to the school and you got the 2 best (most fun) teachers in the school.
But my year got screwed over terribly, our class in general weren't always the best kids ever, but decent enough. We ended up getting a new person in charge of the cafeteria who installed insanely totalitarian rules. For example, we had assigned seats in the lunch room and we couldn't get up and move around or visit other tables for any reason. The lunchroom bathroom required you to go and get a key up from the main office (which was like a 5 minute trip to the office and back) and then you were only allowed to be in the bathroom for 3 minutes and then you had to go return the damn key. Eventually we were also issued group detentions if a table was considered too loud by the person in charge.
So of course we rebelled, the boys in my class ended up having lunch period in a class room where we sat in the middle of the class and had the principal sit in the front of the class and two teachers in the back and the lunch was complete silence.
The best teachers got reassigned to the 7th grade and the 7th grade teachers we hated were now our 8th grade teachers.

So yea hitting highschool and getting a lot more freedom was a godsend. Also lockers are awesome, I hated having to store your books and crap in desks which either got raided by other students or got picked through during daily teacher inspections (which if deemed too messy got you a detention).
Also free periods in highschool is awesome (especially when you set it up so you have lunch before or right after).

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I would say bad for a number of reasons, the first being that the school itself was shit, I mean the bulding. The place had crap heating so it was always cold and coats were not allowed inside due to people wearing hoodies so they couldnt be identified. That's not all the desks were old and the toliets were like a cess pit, I never went for a number 2 in that place for fear of what I might catch.

Secondly half the teachers didn't know what they were talking about, it's not surpsing then that the schools pass average at GCSE level was 30%, compared to grammar schools which usually achieve 99%.

The other kids were dicks, I think I must have been one of the only kids with a decent upbringing because most of the other kids were chavs or wannabee gangsters. You know the kids
that you can see being in prison or drug dealing in 2years, well for some that's redudent because some were already drug dealing.

Lastly is was quite lonely as I had very few friends, I just couldn't relate to the other kids on any level. They enjoyed fighting, stealing, hanging around in the park and generally causing trouble. Some of the kids were good and I made friends with them and we generally kept to ourselves but like I said most were dicks.

Fortunately I was never physically bullied although I did get a few names thrown my way, thats typical though I suppose, every kid gets bullied on some level sooner or later.

primary school, college and University were great though.

Imperium9990

Jul 24, 2011
It was shit.

Vault101 said:
mna this is gonne get depressing

neither great nor terrilbe...had I few serious misteps, but came out of it ok

and anyone whos says its the best time of your life should

shut....the fuck...UP
This.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Considering it nearly killed me, and considering I was forced to drop out due to "Social" reasons(mainly family problems mixed with getting into fights because I was getting picked on as the poor kid constantly and had no friends.) I could go into details, but it's best I don't.

Jun 11, 2008
It is far from the best time of any normal person's life but it is far from what could be the worst. Sometimes you can get the short end of the stick and have several teachers that teach you several subjects get pregnant in the last year but that happens and they shouldn't have to fit their reproductive system around my life.

Univeristy/3rd level education is infinitely better than Second Level Education as a whole due to more freedom and you actually have continuous assessment so your life for the next year is not determined by how you do on 1 exam at the end.

DISCALIMER: This post was is made from the perspective of my countries affects may vary.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
It was alright for me, made a lot of good friends and for the first four years the education actually meant something to me. However at some point during the last two years I noticed the teachers didn't give a shit about the uppers years so I stopped caring. I still went to school but it fucked up my end results.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
It was quite good, made some great friends with similar interests, no bullying or anything happened to me and have some fantastic stories from it all. It was a good time, didn't have to do too much work and yeah, compared to a lot of people I know I had it good.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
That would depend entirely on which part you mean. As a whole, it was okay I guess but I had some extrememly rough patches that, for a long time after, overshadowed the good times. Didn't realise until much later that I made it out alright; I got good grades and made some good friends. I kept dwelling on the bullying...
So, what I'm saying is it was a mixed bag, good mixed in with the bad.
I much preferred College really...