Poll: History Channel?

iplaygamesyo

Jul 31, 2010
Okay, so everyone remembers when TLC was The LEARNING CHANNEL, not the watch people live borning lives channel? Well, some people seem to think History Channel is going the same way with all the Doomsday shows and Aliens stuff. What do you think?

Personally, I don't think so but that is because I believe in Aliens and loooove watching that show. HC is amazing I just wanna see if anyone else agrees with that thread I was readining on another site.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I think it is a little. It's one of the only 2 channels I still watch. Honestly, Swamp People is a sign they're out of ideas. They promote the hell out of Ice Road Truckers too, and please remind me how current activities in Alaska's transport service on one specific road have anything to do with important events in history.

They could be doing better.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
yeah all they play is stupid 2012 theories and Ice Road Truckers...

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I've been getting fed up with them recently. All they seem to show are Nostradamus theories, shows about the Apocalypse and a bunch of shows detailing the devil's rise to power. I do enjoy Pawn Stars though, nothing like watching a bunch of people getting screwed over by a pawn shop.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I don't like it because it only seems to be constant shows about 2012 and Hitler.

I don't find that fascinating.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
...don't forget about the "Nazis were bad" shows, the "Things used to be cool, but now they suck" shows, and, my favorite, Modern Marvels (which is pretty much the only recurring show on that channel worth watching, in my opinion). Ever since they split the Military Channel off, History Channel doesn't really have anywhere else to go... which sucks.

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
Nowadays it's either Doomsday, Aliens, or Manly Man Time with Manly Men Doing Manly Things. They're either coasting by on controversy or realizing Deadliest Catch was popular and just running with that. I still watch it when Modern Marvels comes on or if there's an interesting documentary, but that happens less and less, it seems.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
When I noticed movies were starting to become common on it, I knew something was changing. I still like the channel but it seems to be devolving over time.

karpiel

Apr 18, 2008
ah yes, the history channel, a.k.a. the slightly-right-leaning nazi-gun-alien-hitler-apocalypse-driving around in alaska channel.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
The History Channel always seemed too biased towards chritianity for my tastes.

I like my documentaries to be neutral.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Like every other channel, its trying to branch out from it's core demographic and failing horribly. I remember when they showed actual history, and not 2012 predictions.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Meh its not all bad, I dont watch the orginal one that much unless they run something I really like (I remember a Templar History Episode that was wonderful)

But I enjoy Miltary History; its always on my TV at some point during the work week, and Discovery and Animal planet.

^__^

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Kinda, the only thing I watch on there anymore is Modern Marvels...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
No, I dont think so. The new shows (Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Chasing Mummies), those are awesome, and i love it. When they play Battle 360 with the enterprise, or episodes of Dogfights, and The Univers, those are cool to, plus the specials.

I think that right now, becuase its getting closer to aliens and 2012, HC will play more shows about them to get ratings. Aliens are always popular regardless of your opinoin. And 2012 is just relevant. After it blows over, you'[ll see a drop in those kinda shows and HC will go back to the way it was and all will be well again. Until the next doomsday theory emrges.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Just read this the other day: http://www.cracked.com/funny-5720-the-history-channel/

I'd agree that it's going down hill. Most of the shows are taking the "history is happening now" BS that they used to justify Ice Road truckers and that logging one. Every now I'll catch a show about ancient history or medieval battles that I'll watch, but I have no interest in 90% of the shows now days.