Poll: How about a ''Vs. America' shooter?

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
shadyh8er said:
"OMGZ! An anti-American game?! Kill it! Kill it with FIYAH!"

Seriously though it would be interesting to see a game like that. I want to see how the other side feels. It would be like playing Resistance from the Chimeras' point of view or Gears of War from the Locusts'. (And it would be fun to chainsaw those 2-D muscleheads!)
we get that in GoW3, its called beast mode (i think). sort of like horde but from the locust side, you start with the crap locust characters (tickers, etc) and kill cogs to earn points. as you get more points you can unlock the grunts, priests, and so on until you can unlock the near unstoppable beserker.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Making a FPS like the Command and Conquer series, where you can choose your side? That I think would be cool.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Playing as a guerilla insurgency of citizens against a tyrannical, big-brother US government... yes I would very much like to play this.
A sort of dystopia? That would be cool, the US has gone the way of 1984 and you are a member of the resistance!

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Lexodus said:
We can't have it because it would sell brilliantly, except in America, where the population would be divided. You'd have the fearmongering, 'terrorists hate us because of our freedoms'-spewing, 'that's unamerican and anything unamerican is wrong'-shouting, Fox News-watching, fundamentalist christian right-wing fucktards screaming and throwing a tantrum like never before, spitting bile and frothing at the mouth, screaming 'TRAITOR!' at any other American who decided that they might wanna play it/talk about it online/look it up one one of the non-church-approved websites, and so that would deter people, and you'd also have these same fucktards screaming that 'durr hurr everyone hates America'... and at this point, they'd be right.
Either trolling or misinformed. I'm sorry your news sources only show you the worst of conservatives, and I at least am able to tell the difference between the portrayal Fox News gives of liberals and how liberals I've actually met are. I am VERY Conservative-and religious- and I'd love to see a game like this if it's made well. Glenn Beck isn't your typical Conservative.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
Danistuta said:
I've just been playing the thoroughly adequate Call Of Duty: Black Ops and something came to mind (and was reinforced by Yahtzee's comments).

Would anyone else really like to play an FPS/3rd person shooter AGAINST America?
Don't get me wrong, this is not a hate post against the Yank nation, more a fun idea that's been done in plenty of games previously (ie. allowing you to play as the 'enemy').

For example, do you remember how cool it was when you first got to play as the bosses in Street Fighter II or as Darth Vader in some (crappy) Star Whores game?

My point is, it would kick ass to play as the Viet Cong, Iraquis or Talban scum.

This would be particularly awesome since you could be the underdog and use stealth/sabotage/underhand tactics to manipulate/terrorize/steal weapons from the mighty American Empire.

Share your thoughts...
Edited: You already fought America in FO3!

original below
No. Americans (like me) wouldn't like to see the videogame embodiment of their friends or family getting shot. We're a big portion of the videogame market, and thats why a game like that will never be made.

Hell, even Six Days in Fallujah was scrapped because of that.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Danistuta said:
I've just been playing the thoroughly adequate Call Of Duty: Black Ops and something came to mind (and was reinforced by Yahtzee's comments).

Would anyone else really like to play an FPS/3rd person shooter AGAINST America?
Don't get me wrong, this is not a hate post against the Yank nation, more a fun idea that's been done in plenty of games previously (ie. allowing you to play as the 'enemy').

For example, do you remember how cool it was when you first got to play as the bosses in Street Fighter II or as Darth Vader in some (crappy) Star Whores game?

My point is, it would kick ass to play as the Viet Cong, Iraquis or Talban scum.

This would be particularly awesome since you could be the underdog and use stealth/sabotage/underhand tactics to manipulate/terrorize/steal weapons from the mighty American Empire.

Share your thoughts...
Answer: Homefront. You play as Americans in Korean occupied America. Close as its going to get. I don't see a game where you play as the factions you mentioned ever coming. Have you ever heard of what North Korean movies are like? That's what these games would be.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010

...Or there is always playing as the opposite side in the Battlefield series, or fighting the Enclave in Fallout. It's not really a particularly unique idea, but I don't have anything against it.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
firedfns13 said:
Danistuta said:

Share your thoughts...
Edited: You already fought America in FO3!

original below
No. Americans (like me) wouldn't like to see the videogame embodiment of their friends or family getting shot. We're a big portion of the videogame market, and thats why a game like that will never be made.

Hell, even Six Days in Fallujah was scrapped because of that.
I hope that game gets a publisher at some point. The reasons behind it being dropped were retarded. The story was from Marines that were in the battle. They can make Black Hawk Down a movie, but if converted to a game, it would be called "distastful, degrading, and disrespectful."

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
tomtom94 said:
1: It wouldn't sell. It just wouldn't.
2: It would be TOO controversial. Remember the furore that occured when EA tried to offer you the chance to play as the Taliban, in multiplayer only? (even if it was just a publicity stunt) And imagine Fox News - even if we clearly portrayed the player characters as villains and had them suffer a downfall, they're unlikely to let it slip by unnoticed I'm afraid.
Basically, it's not going to be possible, not at the moment when we have soldiers fighting overseas and a hyperactive media.
This.

But really, it wouldn't be edgy, it wouldn't be cool, and it would only be original because others have the sense of reality to avoid it.
Command and Conquer Red Alert did it well and wasn't controversial. You even killed civvies under orders from Stalin to build an air base. I'd hope that it's still possible to do the same. Also, I think the Russia scenario of COD World at War was a good portrayal of how a Cold War shooter from the Russian perspective might go. It showed the poverty of Russians under Stalin, the philosophy of shooting any soldier that dared retreat, and not having enough weapons to go around unless scavenged from your teammates. But even though it showed how terrible the Stalinist regime was, it still showed the Nazis as the enemy. Now put the US in Nazi shoes, make the war the Cold War, and there you go. Simply tell the story with dignity and make it clear that there are gray areas and ethical problems on both sides.

Ungenericteen

Feb 1, 2010
I am an american(with a family fighting for that country since the revoultion) who would love to play as the vietcong, taliban, north koreans, even the alternate history russians or a made up domestic terrorist cell. it would be a great way to show how in real life there is no good vs evil

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
A shooting game against America means you lose. I'm not even being overly patriotic. Provided the game is set in modern times, the American military is so much more powerful than anyone else that it would crush them brutally.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
rokkolpo said:
I would LOVE invading the entirety of America as Russia.

In a Red alert kind of way.

Don't go telling me you don't feel like nuking some country when you hear this.
If they don't, they are lying. Plain and simple.

Also, you probably have already played Red Alert 2, but if not, find a copy. The plot is Soviet Russia invades America.

Jun 11, 2010
Not sure if anyone has posted this, but Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker featured America as the main bad guys.

You even recruit/capture and convince CIA soldiers to fight against America.

but yeah, the USA was shown pretty negativly in MGS:pW (and in MGS:portable ops, near the end of that game).

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
RUINER ACTUAL said:
I hope that game gets a publisher at some point. The reasons behind it being dropped were retarded. The story was from Marines that were in the battle. They can make Black Hawk Down a movie, but if converted to a game, it would be called "distastful, degrading, and disrespectful."
Yeah, I was really interested in playing it. Shame.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
Ungenericteen said:
I am an american(with a family fighting for that country since the revoultion) who would love to play as the vietcong, taliban, north koreans, even the alternate history russians or a made up domestic terrorist cell. it would be a great way to show how in real life there is no good vs evil
Yes there is. Good people don't need to kill innocents. Good people don't rape and beat their girlfriends. Good people don't order the execution of thousands because of any reason. There are people out there doing that right now as we speak, and then there are people (albeit, a lot less of them) that are trying to stop these people. Bam, real life good vs. evil.

I think you just mean to say it's a good way to take another person's view; showing what they do and why they do it, what they believe and why they believe it.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
firedfns13 said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Yeah, I was really interested in playing it. Shame.
Maybe with the Iraq War technically over, it may come out. They have said that the game is completed, and Atomic has all the code, they just need someone to publish it.