Poll: How do rich people become rich in the first place?

Bamba

Feb 12, 2013
Well? Does anyone know? Ive heard that they just got lucky by winning a lottery or being successful in making business and stuff like that. But I dont really know. So.....I was just hoping if you guys can please explain to me? I know its too early to dream about that, but I plan on trying to become rich myself somehow.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Luck. Nobody gets rich without some kind of fluke, be it winning the lottery, or having rich parents, or being born in a time where the skill that made them rich is valuable.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Most people get rich the REAL 'Ye Olde Fashioned Way'...they inherit their money.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, don't count on the lottery as most people are broke as Hell a short time later. Probably has something to do with the publicity winner(s) receive.

Of course, if you don't just want to be rich but ultra rich, marry into an old money family. That's probably the easiest.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Blood and sperm obviously. It's why most of them look old and wrinkly. They're actually all in their 20s but they've donated that many bodily fluids they've just turned into husks.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
forget about getting rich with a lottery. most people who win lotteries when checked 12 months later were worse off financially 12 months later
Obviously. They've had 12 months to spend the money, so if you win a bilion dollars and spend 20,000 dollars a month then 12 months after you won you'll have 240,000 dollars less than when you'd just received the money.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Lucem712 said:
Yeah, don't count on the lottery as most people are broke as Hell a short time later. Probably has something to do with the publicity winner(s) receive.

Of course, if you don't just want to be rich but ultra rich, marry into an old money family. That's probably the easiest.
Well because of the majority of ultra-rich people being men it's way harder for men than it is for women.

OT: It's mostly having incredibly luck and being born into it, having incredible luck (and good looks) and becoming a celebrity or having incredible luck and striking gold in a new industry. Of course there's exceptions, but they are few and far between. If you're an unlucky guy, an ugly/unlucky girl, unless you can cure cancer you're most likely never going to be rich. That's the way life works. Simple hard work barely ever means richness, which is a great big shame.

Oh, and by richness I mean multi-millionaires.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Blood and sperm obviously. It's why most of them look old and wrinkly. They're actually all in their 20s but they've donated that many bodily fluids they've just turned into husks.
So you're saying if I kept my daily routine but did "it" into a medical cup I'll become a millionaire?

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
Lucem712 said:

Well because of the majority of ultra-rich people being men it's way harder for men than it is for women.
Become the secret lover[footnote]You won't be rich, but you'll be well taken care of[/footnote] of a closeted business mogule, or marry a gay Hollywood star (or anyone in a position of wealth)?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Lucem712 said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Lucem712 said:

Become the secret lover[footnote]You won't be rich, but you'll be well taken care of[/footnote] of a closeted business mogule, or marry a gay Hollywood star (or anyone in a position of wealth)?
But I'm not gay... so I would have to pretend and would have to take it up the arse.
Let me rephrase, it's way harder for straight men than it is for women.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Andy Shandy said:
So you're saying if I kept my daily routine but did "it" into a medical cup I'll become a millionaire?
It would need to become less of a "daily" routine and more of a "hourly" routine, and you'd need to give your fair share of blood as well. But yes, guaranteed millions. Totally.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
Lucem712 said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Lucem712 said:

But I'm not gay... so I would have to pretend and would have to take it up the arse.
Let me rephrase, it's way harder for straight men than it is for women.
Get rich or die trying, m'friend!

Besides, not all gay men like to top or even like anal. And there's a plethora of hot actress just up for the taking!
[SOURCE] [http://luxpresso.com/photogallery-lifestyle/worlds-richest-eligible-women/11720]​
[br]It's like an all you can eat buffet!

Also, out of all those rich men at least some of them are married to women! Lonely, neglected women. Take life by the horns!

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
i think they either inherit money or get lucky, by which i mean they buy/invest at the right time at the right place.
my previous employer is a millionaire because he decided to stock lots of computer game stuff back in the early 90s in his warehouse.

my current employer, despite working with big names like rolls royce and kawasaki is way off the financial levels of my previous employer.

i'd also say that my previous employer was EXTREMELY tight fisted

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Either by the quick instant way like lottery/ gambling etc or the earnful way like became successful at their career/ profession or talent.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Lucem712 said:
That seems to be one of the easiest ways...just make sure you brown-nose the blue-bloods so they leave you something in their will. The only other ways I know of involve the luck of being born into money or, winning it through the lottery. Once you have money though, hold onto it. I don't really know how investment works...but that can apparently help.

I just wish I wasn't poor...trying but failing to get away from that. That's a more feasible goal anyway OP...don't be poor.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
It could be luck or just getting a job that pays more money than the average person (which I would have thought would be the obvious solution for most people of average wealth).

It helps to be well-off already to get a decent job as they often require university degrees, but it's not necessarily a pre-requisite.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
I guess it depends how you define rich. Salaries of 100,000k - 200,000k can be obtained by people through hard work and making their way up in the business world. Much more than that though and luck probably starts to play a larger role. Self made billionaires often possess a valuable skill, but there is also a huge "right place - right time" aspect to it.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Luck and brains. Being at the right place in the right time. There's really no set formula for 'becoming rich' otherwise everyone would do it (duh). It's different. Most people who are rich now have had rich ancestors (dukes, counts, what not) who in turn got rich by owning land, because that's what used to matter a lot (as does to this day, to a certain degree). Innovators, who, again, are just people in the right place, at the right time with the right ideas/initiatives. Connections help as well. Knowing powerful people can make your business endeavours a lot easier, I suppose. But yeah, it's down to luck or inheritance with a tinge of brains and the right attitude.

Of course, there's another aspect, that no one really talks about, out of fear of being pigeonholed with the crazy conspiracy theorists, and that's the possible fact that every rich person has gotten rich through some succession of not-so-wholesome deeds. Basically every filthy rich guy out there is a criminal, and that may be true, we don't know.

Lottery winners usually aren't that successful. I've heard of said winners, who just squander their money, gamble it, make silly investments in failing businesses, spend it on drugs and what not. Not quite sure if there's been one case yet of a person winning the lottery and making something of themselves. Could be wrong though, too unenthusiastic to look it up.

So yeah, hope that answers your question.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
for starters you have to define what rich is. my father for instance is a millionaire, he might not be able to scrape together enough spare cash to buy a new car but when you consider the average house price in australia even i am nearly half way there.
if you are talking billionaires then i don't think there is or has even been a self made billionaire. that sort of money is made over generations usually by screwing over the little guy and by people with massive amounts of education funded by their parents.
if you had to drop out of school at age 15 to feed your starving granny i don't like your chances

why is harrison ford rich?

Early career

In 1964, Ford traveled to Los Angeles, California to apply for a job in radio voice-overs. He did not get it, but stayed in California and eventually signed a $150 a week contract with Columbia Pictures' New Talent program, playing bit roles in films. His first known part was an uncredited role as a bellhop in Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round (1966). There is little record of his non-speaking roles (or "extra" work) in film. Ford was at the bottom of the hiring list, having offended producer Jerry Tokovsky after he played a bellboy in the feature. He was told by Tokovsky that when actor Tony Curtis delivered a bag of groceries, he did it like a movie star; Ford felt his job was to act like a bellboy.[11] Ford managed to secure other roles in movies, such as A Time for Killing (The Long Ride Home), starring Glenn Ford, George Hamilton and Inger Stevens.

His speaking roles continued next with Luv (1967), though he was still uncredited. He was finally credited as "Harrison J. Ford" in the 1967 Western film, A Time for Killing, but the "J" did not stand for anything, since he has no middle name. It was added to avoid confusion with a silent film actor named Harrison Ford, who appeared in more than 80 films between 1915 and 1932, and died in 1957. Ford later said that he was unaware of the existence of the earlier Harrison Ford until he came upon a star with his own name on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Ford soon dropped the "J" and worked for Universal Studios, playing minor roles in many television series throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s, including Gunsmoke, Ironside, The Virginian, The F.B.I., Love, American Style, and Kung Fu. He appeared in the western Journey to Shiloh (1968) and had an uncredited, non-speaking role in Michelangelo Antonioni's 1970 film Zabriskie Point, as an arrested student protester. Not happy with the roles being offered to him, Ford became a self-taught professional carpenter[8] to support his then-wife and two small sons. While working as a carpenter, he became a stagehand for the popular rock band The Doors. He also built a sun deck for actress Sally Kellerman and a recording studio for Brazilian band leader Sérgio Mendes.

He was then hired to build cabinets at the home of director George Lucas, who subsequently cast him in a pivotal supporting role for his film American Graffiti (1973).[8] Ford's relationship with Lucas would profoundly affect his career later on. After director Francis Ford Coppola's film The Godfather was a success, he hired Ford to expand his office and gave him small roles in his next two films, The Conversation (1974) and Apocalypse Now (1979); in the latter film he played an army officer named "G. Lucas."

He was then hired to build cabinets at the home of director George Lucas, who subsequently cast him in a pivotal supporting role for his film American Graffiti (1973).[8] Ford's relationship with Lucas would profoundly affect his career later on. After director Francis Ford Coppola's film The Godfather was a success, he hired Ford to expand his office and gave him small roles in his next two films, The Conversation (1974) and Apocalypse Now (1979); in the latter film he played an army officer named "G. Lucas."
long story short he didn't give up and was a damn good actor carpenter