Poll: How do you feel about younger gamers?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I really only play SC2 online.
Also TF2 on servers I know is ruled with an iron fist.
Which means you need to be skilled to play a against me in SC2, which most brats aren't.
Besides, not much talking in SC2 anyway.
No time to talk, game too intensive.
And being obnoxious on my TF2 servers gets you banned.
Also, when I play WoW, no one but my guild exists.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
(they should be banned, as long as they behave? hehehe)

if people are being anti-social asses online then they should get banned, you should NOT ban people pre-emptively, assuming they'll misbehave because of their age, if you ask me that's no better than banning people because of their race

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
I don't play FPS's online, so I can't comment on that. However, I've played WoW, and here are my observations:

I used to be in a guild that had no age restriction. There was some talk about it, but other than that, everyone with the right application was welcome. This led to our guild being full of a lot of kids under 16. It worked out for a while, but in the end there were a lot of irritations, mainly because of a different view on the game and how it should be played. There is just a big difference if you want to play a game after a day of work or after a day of school.

I don't have anything against children playing games, but in a game like WoW I just don't like to team up with them for the same reason I don't go out drinking and partying with children --> different view on things.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
15, started playing when I was 12...with a mic now that I look back I think below 13 should not have a mic, but now I am not a troll online unless people annoy me, and I have found more idiots over 18 that were as mature as a 10 year old that actual kids, and even if you find stupid kids beating them with logic or just using the holy mute button that not many seem to know fixes things.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
It varys from person to person, i started playing wow when i was... 16 15 or so when it first game out just after the beta, was in a top raiding guild squeeky voice to boot.

But the image below sums up how i find alot (not all) young guys/girls often behave online with no fear of repructions (spelling...) they say and behave how they like as they tend to not be able to do those things in real life.

Some kids are fine and actually pretty skilled, from personal experience they are in the minority though.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Age is just a number. Maturity isn't.
That said though, you usually become more mature with age. Prove yourself to be mature, and we'll play, that's how it works for me. Most of the time, anyway.

Raikazu

Apr 15, 2009
As a gamer who ran guilds and clans and the age of 15, I have to say that I don't generalise and find that all under-16s or under-18s are inherently bad for a community. However it tends to be that often youngers gamers have more of an incentive to troll, or are just generally bad losers/winners. As long as people are clued enough to know how to act in a community, you won't be annoying other players.

And the same time, no matter what your age is, if you're acting like a douche then people are going to treat you like one.

EDIT: I'm now 19.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
I tend to be annoyed at younger gamers because they suck at classifying game genres. For example... let's make something clear, kiddies: if you want to talk about Half-Life or Call of Duty, specify that you mean a first person shooter. Never say simply "shooter" to refer to them, because, if the gameplay is 3D, it is NOT a pure shooter. See, THIS is a shooter:

Clear enough now? And Contra is not a shooter either, it is a platformer just like goddamn Sonic.

Also, Zelda and Fable are action-RPGs, but Diablo and Torchlight are still roguelikes. Learn the difference!

meticadpa

Jul 8, 2010
Haha, what?! No.

I'm 16-years-old, and I've been playing L4D2 online since I was 14. I've never been discriminated against because of my age, felt any blame because of my age, or anything like that. It's not age that matters - it's maturity levels and skill levels.

It probably helped that my voice made me sound a lot older than my age, though, so people rarely suspected anything. And it helps that I'm a badass at L4D2. c:

I've played with some 12-year-olds who're fine, and some 30-year-olds who'll ragequit, shout down their mics and gloat when they win. Assholes are everywhere.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
I mainly don't like when players are basically are fucking around not taking it seriously when they see others are. Also stop broadcasting your age nobody really cares. Try to learn the basics of game before complaining that others are cheating because you're getting beat badly.

sofareal

Sep 23, 2010
Your age will have nothing to do when receiving hate on blops, that just happens to be the most obvious channel you have for them to hate on, even if your 21, male or female, you will ALWAYS receive some hate, one way or another. Continue to behave and others will start to defend you (if they haven't already).

Realization: With no risk of getting punched in the face, (most) people will be the biggest pricks they can be

Sep 14, 2009
MGlBlaze said:
As long as they behave; the same as everyone else.

Hating someone based only on their age is a form of unjust discrimination, and is therefore unacceptable.
Zantos said:
MGlBlaze said:
As long as they behave; the same as everyone else.

Hating someone based only on their age is a form of unjust discrimination, and is therefore unacceptable.
This entirely. I've not noticed any age group that doesn't have pricks about it, don't know why the younger ones get so much aggro for it.
boom two correct responses in a row,

all this prejudice based on age is pretty...well, immature really. if a kid is playing/acting great, then great, i'm happy to play with them, if an adult is acting like an immature douche, then fuck that.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Shut up (They have party chat and Skype for a reason), and play fair. (Same rules as everyone else)
I'm fine with you as long as you follow those 2 simple rules.

s0meNo0b

Feb 21, 2011
I could hardly care about age, it's only when people start getting annoying that I don't want to be around them. So long as they're mature and we can get along everythings fine. The first online games I tried was unreal '04 and I was around 10 at the time and I got along pretty well without a mic. (Heck, even got to rank 5 on the racing servers.)

Suicida1 Midget

Jun 11, 2011
Its just sad, any time i play MW2, theres some kid screaming, noob tubing, trash talking, and just generally sucking(not that BRs/others are better with the ladder). If you will excuse me for saying but my time among kids,(truely started xboxl when i was 16) was generally u are a fucktard, i did ur mom, I will get my buddies to kill u(many, many times. I found it sad that they cant solo me, online or irl), and my personal favorite i am 8 and i am invincable.

In my short two year career, i have met only 7 kids who by anystandard were playable with (i use that term loosely) Like i said excuse my heavy bias on this but i think they should put a ban like this up.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
I don't agree with all people under 16, mostly cause i'm only 15, but in personal experience, I meet some annoying kids, but I'll usually just ignore them, or mute them.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
I've played with a couple of pretty awesome 12 year olds before. I've also played with a few 17 year olds who were annoying as hell. As a rule, however, 12 year olds tend to be annoying, cocky, and think their shit smells like flowers, which often isn't the case.

Overall, I don't particularly care if they play; I can always mute them. And if they start yelling and being annoying, but I don't feel like muting them, I tend to tell them to come back when their balls have dropped. In the end, they just give me one more target to shoot at. And I'm fine with that.