Poll: How do you like your zombies?

TheBritish

The really, quite jolly rascal
Nov 12, 2009
Depends more on the medium... In games... you can't kill the same slow shuffling zombie forever (except maybe in the best MMO ever :))
But the slow shuffling kind are scary. Terrifying. It's the difference between slamming into a pane of glass and slowly pressing on it more and more... never stopping... not for breath or for sleep... just pressing and pressing... You can see a crack start to appear in the corner of the glass and you know it's going to crack, but you don't know when... you start to ready yourself for the inevitable crash of glass and blood, but you have to sleep... and they don't... they'll just keep pressing and pressing...

ANYWAY, also there's the fact that they're an unstoppable wall of death. You can keep shooting hundreds of them a minute, but they'll always be there. Always hungry. Always coming :)

SarahSyna

Jul 8, 2009
I like them to start out fast but then slow down as they rot. That way they actually get creepier as they get along, as they sink lower and lower into the uncanny valley.

Also, what the poster above me said. The sheer inevitable nature of a slow zombie is terrifying.

rythter

Jul 20, 2009
WestMountain said:
28 Days later "zombies" were infected not brain dead zombies

I like em a bit slow and shambling, like in Dawn of the Dead
me too, its more fun that way. that way you can really mess around with them

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
i prefer slow shufling becaus thats how i came to know them, in games like Resident Evil

and they can be slow but they still scare the crap out of me.

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
from what i use to in most game and what i like to realy fast realy masive and hard yo kill zombies if you played l4d or killing floor you will know what i mean (i know killing floor zombies technicly arent zombies but lets just say so)

Squid86

Nov 19, 2009
SoulChaserJ said:
Slow and shuffling...it makes them easier targets... And in that same sense, throughout the slow & shuffling zombie movies, how in the hell do they take over the world? My grandma can speedwalk faster than them. Yeah they can catch a few people off guard but it's not like they're going to catch 99% of the population while they're sleeping.

It may start out slow, but the people they do catch that escape will turn soon, and as the popultion builds they will soon be every where. If they can only be killed by a head shot or decapitation it means you have to be a good shot or crazy enough to get close enough to lob its head off. If you try to burn them they will shuffle around and set everything around them on on fire. They will not stop, they will not die, their numbers will only grow and you will be forced out of your hidey hole to forage for more food and amunition. It's not a matter of if you get caught, it's a matter of when and can you stay sane during that time. They are coming for you...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fast zombies every time.

The slow shambling model utterly fails to frighten me. Why would one feel threatened by a creature that one could escape from at a brisk walk?
Fast zombies on the other hand combine the insatiable relentlessness of their slower cousins with the ability to actually catch you.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
KitsunetheFox said:
ffxfriek said:
I like them deep fried and smothered in chocolate*.

cookie for reference*

i havent played a decent zombie game yet so i probably will never know
Shrek 2. Fairy Godmother. Jeniffer Saunders.
you are correct you win a cookie

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Slow and shuffling they are easier to kill, the fast zombies are more like Ghouls to me anyways.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
Zhukov said:
Fast zombies every time.

The slow shambling model utterly fails to frighten me. Why would one feel threatened by a creature that one could escape from at a brisk walk?
Fast zombies on the other hand combine the insatiable relentlessness of their slower cousins with the ability to actually catch you.
You can escape one of them at a brisk walk, but whilst you're sleeping, there's more of them.. and some of them are behind you... but you can dodge them easily... but... actually... there were some more behind them. You didn't see them. Nevermind, you'll just go back the way you came... oh crap... I know... I'll climb a tree! They can't climb! But... as the weeks go by... there's even more of them now... I'm the only survivor in this area so they're all crowding around me... I can't even see the floor anymore, just an endless sea of rotting heads, mouths wide and eyes fixed on the top of my tiny, immobile fort as the days go by and I start to weaken from lack of food...

l0rD ChUcKl3s

Nov 1, 2009
i think that fast zombies work great in movies, t speeds the story and lets the producer fit more into the movie. saying that i love the shambling zombies from older movies but there a bit redundent in recent movies... which is why i camt wait for the walking dead tv series.

also why are people saying that the shambling zombies would be better because there in a horde? surly the fast zombies will be just as numerous

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
Slow and Shuffly. I'm all for them running, but when they do I like 'em to have bad balance, not having the smarts to move their arms in rythm, so they end up slamming into a wall or eventually toppling over. Running just requires muscle, but running effectively requires some form of inteligence, even if it is mostly instinctive.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Fast and insane zombies are an excuse. When people aren't good enough to make slow, shuffling zombies scary, they make them faster to make things easier on them. It's very hard to make slow, vulnerable monsters scary. Some people can do it: others change the zombies to cover for their lack of skill. It's sad, really.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
l0rD ChUcKl3s said:
i think that fast zombies work great in movies, t speeds the story and lets the producer fit more into the movie. saying that i love the shambling zombies from older movies but there a bit redundent in recent movies... which is why i camt wait for the walking dead tv series.

also why are people saying that the shambling zombies would be better because there in a horde? surly the fast zombies will be just as numerous
When they run they have space between them. It's inevitable. It never feels like a wave when they're done like this. More of a "pack". Their speed only gives them the advantage when they're not all crowded together.
Also...
Thaius said:
Fast and insane zombies are an excuse. When people aren't good enough to make slow, shuffling zombies scary, they make them faster to make things easier on them. It's very hard to make slow, vulnerable monsters scary. Some people can do it: others change the zombies to cover for their lack of skill. It's sad, really.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I still play Dead Rising religiously because the zombies in it just feel right ... a slow shuffling crowd of 100-200 zombies is not easy to deal with, even if you can pick up a park bench and start swatting zombies with it.

Fast zombies are a way for the super graphics engines to be able to make the game playable. Rendering 300 sprites on the screen at once, is a challange for any engine no matter how efficient.