Poll: How do you view the Halo series?

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
I've played 1 and 3.

Fun stuff, although I don't plan to get any more Halo games unless they are mind-blowingly amazing.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
stika said:
Sacman said:
Goldeneye was a popular game but it didn't create a standard for the fps' genre to follow on the consoles...
What sort of standard are we talking about here? your regular arcadey shooter with medpacks?

Because that's all I can think off when it comes to shooters on consoles before halo

After halo we just simply tossed asside the medpacks for regenerating health
by standards i mean the cookie cutter characters, the uninspired dark graphics, the badly written story, regenerating health, and the decent controls(which in all honestly isn't a bad thing)... oh and of course the fact that it can turn out mediocrity in exchange for piles of money...

Archimedes88

May 16, 2008
I really liked Combat Evolved, 10/10. Halo 2 got on my nerves (noes mah assult rifle!) and Halo 3, which i own, i can't face playing on single player. I preferred the simpler times with slow moving enemies, meaty weapons, cumbersome AI and dark colouring. Halo 3 is too fast paced and colourful for my weary old brain.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
A game so popular it calapsed in on itself and became one of the most hated games ever. It's deserving of neither title.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Why is it cool to hate halo but its ok to like the first one? Anyway loved it, not the best FPS but its pretty straight foward and the multiplayer is fun.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Never ever been interested. What little I have played, I found bland. I tend to dislike fazer guns and suits of armour in general.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
I liked Halo CE. Halo 2 was good, but lacking in gameplay. Halo 3 sucked except for the custom game multiplayer. Have not played Halo Wars, but I want to. And I want ODST and Reach.
On the whole, the games are good, but not great. I am a fan of the books, as unrealistic as they are.

Cargin

Jun 3, 2009
all gravy till the third one, which was a huge disappointment. havent played odst, but it smells distinctly like a cash-in to me.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
orannis62 said:
Sacman said:
orannis62 said:
Shadowfaze said:
Very shallow. Too popular for its own good, and not nearly as brillant as others say it is. Dont flame me, im not trolling, its just my opinion. I'll say nothing more on the subject. (raises flame shields anyway)
Just out of curiosity, when did you play it? I've noticed that it's a very good example of "Seinfeld is Unfunny" [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny]
Sacman said:
achilleas.k said:
Sacman said:
I think it's bad not terrible not good just below average, but I hate the series for what it did to fps genre as a whole and that is basically create a standard for which u can make money. I mean for a while there it looked like fps' could go anywhere because the original standard(being Doom) is only slightly more technically advanced then a piece of graph paper. to me it seemed that before Halo came out fps was really a genre to experiment with story telling, concept and gamplay encompassing RPG, platforming, and cinematic elements that can turn out very well done and original ideas that both take huge leaps for the genre and medium as a whole by making an interactive intelligent experience that appeals to both adults and children being both fun and philosophical but then Halo came along and somehow became extremely popular and cutting out well told story and intelligent hybrid gameplay for straight forward kill everything that moves gameplay that really set the medium back both in the eyes of the media and in my heart because of it's simple badly written story and cookie cutter characters that might as well be a reunion of the cast from predator but after 100 years so only the unlikeable ones show up and even then they don't know whats happening...

Edit: damn it took me so long to write this 25 people posted before I did...
I kinda agree with this, even though Sacman's period and coma keys seem to be broken. It's nothing certain of course and no one can say for sure, but I do believe that Halo affected FPS gaming negatively, in general. I don't think it's a bad game because of it though. I still vote OK.
thank you finally someone can understand where I'm coming from most people take this as a condemning hate speech but I'm just saying that the genre would(in my opinion) be much more advanced, intelligent and maybe even looked at as more of an adult medium if Halo was never popular...
Come on, you know some other game would have come along like this. While Halo's formula was relatively unique at the time, there's no way it would have gone too long past 2001 without being used by another game, it's too simple and accessible for that.
ur missing my point before Halo brought FPS' to consoles they were primarily a PC only genre and something as simple if released on the PC only at the time would have been overlooked for more complicated FPS' and wouldn't have the same kind of impact on the genre therefore never creating a standard in the console gaming and allowing fps' developers to refine the formula on the PC...
It's not as if it was the first successful console FPS, ever heard of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, or Turoks 1 and 2? FPSs had already shown that they could work on consoles, and consoles are/were such a large market that there's no way they wouldn't be refined on them as well as the PC. Halo did the largest (arguably) of that refinement, but if they hadn't, another definitely would have, likely with the same effect.
yes I own Turok and Goldeneye but here's the thing those games showed that FPS' can work on consoles but never gave the genre any kind of standard to work off of and the genre was still up in the air at the time. here's the thing I think if Halo wasn't popular the genre would have been able to refine itself and even if another game like Halo were to come along I don't think it would receive the same kind of attention that Halo would because with enough time the genre would evolve enough to the point that something as simple and cliche and Halo would just be forgotten within a year...

ultracheeser

Jul 2, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
ultracheeser said:
I'm in love with it. I'm not a fanboy though. I've read all the books too.
"I'm not a fanboy."
Yes you are.
You admit to having read all of the books for a series that is known to toss out its story in favor of multiplayer and mediocre gameplay.
yes, but the books aren't about multiplayer and mediocre gameplay. They aren't about any of the Halo games either.

enjoying the Halo universe doesn't make you a...oh. well maybe it does.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
It was great when they first came out, but that was because it was still pretty new. Now I still believe that Halo 2 had the most memorable moments.

Its OK now. Thats it. Now its just been copied and reused so that you see some aspects of it almost anywhere, an in some cases done better so its gone down the list for everyone. I used to think it was godly. But that was also just before Halo 3 came out.

Will I play Reach? Most likely. Will I buy sequels after it? Only if it resolves that goddamn cliffhanger at the end of Halo 3 instead of this prequel bullshit.

Don't get me wrong I like the prequels/other perspectives, its just, tie off your main plot before you backtrack.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Halo to me is a true Doom clone, minus the fun.
Space marine in green power armor with spaceman helmet, check. Mix of standard human bullet weapons and energy weapons, check. Hideous enemy monsters, check. You being the last hope for doomed humanity, check. Invasion of earth, check.
Nothing really much Halo does differently than Doom, besides limit what you can carry and reward you with more health if you go and hide for a while.
Biggest difference is I have played through Doom several times and I couldn't force myself to finish Halo even once.

Jul 9, 2008
LordNue said:
orannis62 said:
LordNue said:
With confusion.
Everyone goes on and on about how it revolutionized FPS games. But it didn't. There was nothing unique about them at all.
*cough* [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny]

To expand on that a bit, it was unique in that it was a very polished, well done console FPS. Although Goldeneye and others were as well, this brought them as close as, at the time, they had ever been to being like PC FPSs. Now, as I argued above, it would have happened with or without Halo, but still, it was the one we ended up getting, and I'm satisfied.
It wasn't unique. Please prove how it was.
It wasn't well done or polished. It was generic. Generic and easy. That isn't revolutionary.
Not unique or polished? Show me another console FPS from the times that was as well done. Along with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and a few others (all a few years before), it proved the viability of FPSs on consoles.

As far as PC FPSs at the time, you're right, Halo was generic, but that's not the point: Halo was a console FPS, it wasn't even ported to the PC for two years. The effect it had was almost solely on the consoles, but that doesn't lessen it's impact (or that of my other examples).

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I still like the first Halo the best because it has the best story- feels more like a B Sci-Fi movie that I think really fits the plot they're trying to keep up with.

Overall I would say that the games are good, but they just didn't change enough for Halo 3 besides the engine in my mind

Jul 9, 2008
demoman_chaos said:
Halo to me is a true Doom clone, minus the fun.
Space marine in green power armor with spaceman helmet, check. Mix of standard human bullet weapons and energy weapons, check. Hideous enemy monsters, check. You being the last hope for doomed humanity, check. Invasion of earth, check.
Nothing really much Halo does differently than Doom, besides limit what you can carry and reward you with more health if you go and hide for a while.
Biggest difference is I have played through Doom several times and I couldn't force myself to finish Halo even once.
Has Doom ever put you in the shoes of the demons? In case you don't know, for around half of Halo 2, we were given The Arbiter, one of the Elites, as our protagonist, and it gave a good deal more insight into the Covenant and showed that they weren't all evil. Sure, the Prophets (ones at the top) were all bat-shit crazy, and the Brutes, their lapdogs (by the end of Halo 2, at least) were very...well, brutal, but eventually, after finding out the truth, all of the Elites and some of the Grunts and Hunters rebelled and left the Covenant.

Tell me, did anything like that happen in Doom?