Poll: how good is Battlefield 3

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Assuming 5 as average, I'd say BF3 is about 7.5 or 8.

I've said this all before, but basically, the single player is arse. It was trying real hard to be CoD. Russians, Arab terrorists, stolen nukes, the whole deal. All drowning in pretty graphics, blinding lights and smothering layers of scripting.

However, the multiplayer is great fun, albeit with some bugginess and server issues.

Also, Origin and Battlelog are necessary and annoying, as expected.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Id say about a 7.

And i know everyone is going to hate my reason for it, but just hear me out.

A multiplayer game these days has a community to it. And this game's community is.... underwhelming. People care to much about their K/D and "B3ING MLG L3G1T!!!". And that kinda ruins the game for everyone. When 70% of your team is comprised of snipers, and your Assaulting, theres something massively wrong.

The game itself is ok, but the single player leaves a lot to be desired, and everything about the game feels like its trying to become more like CoD.

Dont get me wrong, it could be a far worse game. Balancing is pretty good, guns feel and sound great, and vehicles dont feel gamebreaking. But i always take the community into the equation these days for multiplayer games.

The game itself is an 8/10. The community makes it a 7.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Well, the singleplayer was nothing special... Didn't take a lot to predict the next move the story would make, and I got the same feeling that I did from Crysis 2. Just constantly expecting that great big event, the climax, but it never shows up! It just kept droning on, though not in the same degree as MW2 did. That said most CoD games has a better singleplayer than BF3 did, but it's OK for wasting a few hours =p. The Russian missions were truly awesome though, I honestly think that if they made the game JUST from those Russians point of view, it would be much better. Also, you'd play Russians in singleplayer for once, and I can't recall that happening outside of games not set in Russia =3. (I'm sure there are some though!)

--

The Multi-player is very much fun though. It's a good mix between good old Battlefield, and the new generation of FPS, so it works. I would prefer the maps to be just a bit bigger again, but thinking back on how the big maps in BF2 and BF2142 quickly fell out of the regular map cycle of most servers, it's likely just for the best^^.

Snipers though... GAH! Everywhere!

--

Have not gotten to try the COOP... No friends can join me, and I can't join them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mr.K. said:
As I'm only interested in SP and that was shite, I'd haveto say 3-5
You bought a Battlefield game for the single player? What on earth were you thinking?

That's like, I dunno... buying Bioshock 2 for the multiplayer.

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
I was expecting more to be honest. But then I am more of an RPG gal.
Have to say the 3 maps I've played so far are great. Just what you'd expect from BattleFIELD.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I just got it yesterday and had to fight with Origin for 3 hours to get it to install. After that I managed to get in game, but the vehicles are scarce in all the maps I played. I love BF for its vehicles more than the actual on foot combat.

IDK, I haven't played it enough to really give it a rating fairly, but so far I miss 1942.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I voted 6-8 right now because I'm not to sure if it'll end up 3-5 or 9-10. I haven't even bothered with the single player yet and will get around to it when I have nothing else to play as far as single player games are concerned. This is entirely based on the multiplayer (as it should be). Anyways, on Wednesday, I loved it. Yesterday, not so much.

One big problem (and I have never, EVER, said this before) is that I'm playing it on the XBox360. I have never bought into that PC superiority crap and for the most part, I never will. The maps are just way too big for 24 players, especially when there are so many vehicles. If you don't gobble up a vehicle, you are one of four or five members on your team running around an enormous map. That gets very boring and involves limited action, especially when it becomes purely a vehicle battle. Also, when I was playing last night, none of the servers were full, making the teams more like eight versus eight.

On the small maps, which was made to compete with COD (why did they do this?!), it becomes a camp fest. Way too many buildings that are three stories high and way too many nooks that people just camp there the whole time. This wouldn't be such a problem if the game did what is promised and made them destructible. However, they're only semi-destructible, and you can't take down an entire building, just little chunks of it. I assume it's because the streets are too narrow and the buildings are too big, creating a campers gauntlet.

Overall, I'll have to wait and see if the community gets better and more familiarity with maps will render perma-campers useless.

Politi

Feb 28, 2010
kouriichi said:
A multiplayer game these days has a community to it. And this game's community is.... underwhelming. People care to much about their K/D and "B3ING MLG L3G1T!!!". And that kinda ruins the game for everyone. When 70% of your team is comprised of snipers, and your Assaulting, theres something massively wrong.

The game itself is ok, but the single player leaves a lot to be desired, and everything about the game feels like its trying to become more like CoD.
I know exactly what you mean about the community, and I hate it so much when a bad community ruins a good game for me, like with Garry's Mod. It's just downright disgusting that this game tried to be like Call of Duty. A major reason that I buy Battlefield games is that I really don't like playing CoD. Sure CoD sells more games and I understand that as a corporation, that's what you want, but if you have a better game that sells less copies, you're still the one with the better game.

Also, who else thinks that the FPS genre needs to start moving away from the "insurgents in a sandy country, ruskies in the city streets, and nukes everywhere" storyline and just come up with something new. Honestly, I never thought I would reach a point where I say "oh look, they're detonating nukes and invading America! I'm surprisingly underwhelmed!".

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
I'd say about an 8.

The single player wasn't amazing, but still good. The multiplayer is awesome in my opinion.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Bro just bought it. Can't really judge it as I don't play these kind of FPS' but I have to say the graphics (PS3) look nowhere near as good as the previews showed.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Does the full multiplayer balance the issues I had with the beta/demo.

Where people higher ranked than you have over powered goodies that just make the game a ragefest like the 12x scope. it was so unrewarding to finally get a bead on this guys pea sized body across the map on a 6-7x scope, correct for bullet drop, tag him and then he finds me in a second because I am not as big as an ant with that giant scope.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I dont believe a score can represent a complex opinion so I wont vote. What I will say is that there are two aspects of the game that are as drasticly different as I can think of. The multiplayer is amazing, as good as I could imagine it being without any huge problems. However the singleplayer is just awful and boring

That said as an entire game I suppose it would considered average?

Particulate

May 27, 2011
I fucking loved it.

I would have liked the campaign to be longer. But the only FPS's in recent memory that I haven't thought that about have been Far Cry 2 and Metro 2033. But overall I really, really enjoyed it. The campaign was engaging and multiplayer has been fun as well. I'd give it a solid 8

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
The multiplayer is jaw dropping. Wow. Who cares about single player in a multiplayer based game? This game is easily 8-9 for me. And if my opinion doesn't sell you, my level 50 in battlefield 2 next door neighbor loves the crap out of it!