Poll: how good is Battlefield 3

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I havnt played it, but it has a part where you fight a rat.
COLOUR ME INTRESTED!

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I'd give it a 9.
Story was short, but what it had it did well. Minus the QTEs
Multiplayer is fun throughout. Even when I'm getting killed, I'm still enjoying it.
Still a few bugs to be ironed out, but that happens. Nothing game breaking.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
ghost whistler said:
Played online a couple of times. Was not impressed with the map design. Caspian Border is just a far too big field and the bhazar is just a bland street. The HD texture pack you can load for the 360 version adds nothing as far as I can tell. Perhaps you have to switch them on, I don't know.
Consoles only support 24 players, trust me when I say that the map sizes are just fine when you have 32-64 players going.

Love multiplayer, I also love how battlefield isn't noob sniper friendly with bullet drop.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I would give the game an 8 but the multiplayer community a 3

Story was good though there was some points where I was confused of how something was important to the story or are just completely unrealistic. The characters are alright but seem to be lacking "something."

other than some glitches I keep running into, the gameplay is alright though the starting weapons, in multiplayer, suck. The spawn system isn't as good as Bad Company 2's and team deathmatch is a waste of space.

the community sucks. 100% of the games I've played, Everyone camps with flashlights or lasers on their guns so you can see shit when being fired upon. Thoughs who aren't camping are in tanks and all but impossible to kill.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
As it stands: a strong 6. Just not impressed at the moment. The current chore to actually get into a game is not worth it. I'll give it a try later when my friend gets it and hopefully patches will have fixed most of the connection issues.

Right now though, it looks like I'm going to get Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for peanuts at Gamestop.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
AMMO Kid said:
The multiplayer is jaw dropping. Wow. Who cares about single player in a multiplayer based game? This game is easily 8-9 for me. And if my opinion doesn't sell you, my level 50 in battlefield 2 next door neighbor loves the crap out of it!
Wait What

I feel as if you were paid to say that...or copy paste from a Gamestop review...

OnTopic:

I wouldnt know...I was miffed when I tried to play BF:BC2 online and would never get into a server.... Also every 3rd or so topic lists SNIPERS as a list of reasons I wouldnt buy it...always annoying...makes me wish for a game that could sit in the DOOM/QUAKE feel and still get to the CoD/BF feelin too... Also a lot of these games never give a decent flanking type map so noobslaya666420 can just sit in the one spot and see the entire Battlefield...

rambling...

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
The single player is pretty good, I just feel like every game is taking from GRAW with the you get messed up now fight for your life and fall back and get extracted or stop the nuke scenario. The Russian point of view is freaking awesome, the tank missions are great too, when you do play as infantry, it doesn't feel like the enemy is coming out of the fucking walls, that there is a front line and you are on it, granted you can get flanked, but, you have to let that happen to you.

The multi-player is amazing, when your fighting over an alley way with bullets, rockets, grenades, and tank shells flying everywhere it feels pretty special and is a little more memorable.

Iman Shumpert

Oct 19, 2011
Zhukov said:
Mr.K. said:
As I'm only interested in SP and that was shite, I'd haveto say 3-5
You bought a Battlefield game for the single player? What on earth were you thinking?

That's like, I dunno... buying Bioshock 2 for the multiplayer.
Thats like paying a prostitute for a hug?

I agree the single-player is mediocre, however this is the first game, for me, to get me involved in online multiplayer. I mean that has to count for something.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Depends on how you feel about multiplayer, if you love it then BF3 will be a 9-10

if you hate it then bf3 is like a 5 (shortass campaign)

Zebidizy

Apr 8, 2009
Playing it on PC with full graphics soo im in love with it, 64 player maps true battlefields

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
It was fun in beta. I would have bought if it was on Steam. From what I saw in beta I'd give it an 7-8/10.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I think this is relevant. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-Battlefield-3-PC] <- PC UserGroup

I guess I should try and fix some of the issues people are having:

Zack Alklazaris said:
I just got it yesterday and had to fight with Origin for 3 hours to get it to install. After that I managed to get in game, but the vehicles are scarce in all the maps I played. I love BF for its vehicles more than the actual on foot combat.
Set the server filter to "Conquest Large". They have the most vehicles.

PeePantz said:
If you don't gobble up a vehicle, you are one of four or five members on your team running around an enormous map.
Most vehicles maps have at least one APC or transport of some kind. They can normally hold a whole squad by themselves. Not to mention all those little jeeps and humvees on others. There's always enough vehicle seats to get everyone on the team into a vehicle, just not necessarily driving one.

If you're having trouble with that, try getting some friends to squad up with you and dedicate your squad to a vehicle. We used an APC one game (aka Bertie the battle bus), two people stayed in it at all times, and the other two jumped out every now and again to kill infantry/tanks/cap/repair/launch aa missles. It was fun and really effective.

Generally, if you want to have a great game of battlefield, try and get the ace squad ribbon, not MVP. All the best games I've had have been with friends with VOIP working together. We got the ace squad pin every time.

XT inc said:
Where people higher ranked than you have over powered goodies that just make the game a ragefest like the 12x scope. it was so unrewarding to finally get a bead on this guys pea sized body across the map on a 6-7x scope, correct for bullet drop, tag him and then he finds me in a second because I am not as big as an ant with that giant scope.
If a tactic isn't working, switch tactics. If you can't counter-snipe that sniper, try spotting them. Normally people will spray the crap out of them. Try using a vehicle, or just try not playing as a sniper. If you must, try engaging enemies at shorter range, or, if you have one, equip a different primary weapon and get recon points without actually sniping.

MortisLegio said:
the community sucks. 100% of the games I've played, Everyone camps with flashlights or lasers on their guns so you can see shit when being fired upon. Thoughs who aren't camping are in tanks and all but impossible to kill.
I'm not sure what map you're playing on where people are using flashlights and lasers but also in tanks. Tehran highway?

1. If they've got a flashlight, just spray the crap out of the light. Seriously, aim for the middle and pew pew pew. Those things are a liability on big maps.

2. Red dots don't blind you, they just colour everything red. If there's a dot on your face, try ducking and running for cover. You'll know which direction it's coming from by which side of the screen it's on. If you're on your own and it's not safe to run for cover, you shouldn't be on your own. It's battlefield after all.

Obviously I love this game. Especially the jets. I've played the single player and it isn't bad, just average to be honest. There's pacing issues and the loading screens really break immersion, but there are some great set pieces and the sound, music, graphics, and big battles are great.

The multiplayer conquers all, as it should. I've had so many cool moments. As awesome as scripted events in campaigns, but totally down to chance. Saving team-mates and dodging ground fire in a helicopter, smashing through walls and mowing everything down in a tank, dogfighting and strafing in jets. One time I was crouching behind a wall and a HMMWV jumped over and scared the crap out of me. I was playing as a jet on one map, with my squad on the ground advancing, and they were using me as their air support for disabling tanks and taking out buildings. Even getting shot-down can be awesome as you spin out and crash into tanks and buildings. It was really fun.

And that's why I give this game a 10. Battlefield was never about singleplayer. Hell, none of the Battlefield games up to this one even had a singleplayer game. It was just multiplayer with bots.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Single player is kinda meh so far. Seems like it only served the following purposes:
-footage for trailers
-graphic demonstration
-tutorial for the multiplayer

Only played one multiplayer match so far, though I'm new to the Battlefield series so I was a little overwhelmed and couldn't really figure out how to be effective at anything (didn't help that half the people on the server were like WAAAAAH MY TEAM IS FULL OF NOOBS STOP BEING NOOBS). I can see that if I knew what I was doing, the multiplayer would be awesome.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
AMMO Kid said:
The multiplayer is jaw dropping. Wow. Who cares about single player in a multiplayer based game? This game is easily 8-9 for me. And if my opinion doesn't sell you, my level 50 in battlefield 2 next door neighbor loves the crap out of it!
This actually convinced me ... Not to buy it , why didn't they just make a multiplayer game, and sell it for 15-20$ less? Why make a single player campaign if your not going to put proper effort in the single player why add it in the first place? I was actually hyped for this game until i played the demo , it ressembled MW a littlw too much.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Zhukov said:
You bought a Battlefield game for the single player? What on earth were you thinking?

I chipped in 10$ to buy it with my mate and I'm glad I didn't offer more.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Zhukov said:

It's pretty understandable. Given that they released a 12 minute trailer of the campaign, the majority of the stuff at trade shows was showing off the campaign and that there were lengthy interviews [http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/31/battlefield-3-david-goldfarb-spells-out-single-player/] about the single player. That, combined with DICE stating that the campaign would be 12 hours long [http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/11673/battlefield-3s-12-hour-long-campaign-will-introduce-more-people] leads to a situation where people might want to try this game out for the single player experience, which by all accounts, has been a letdown. In fact, the 12 hours thing can be taken as a complete lie, given that most reviews so far have said around 4-5 hours and underwhelming.

I think it's completely fair for people to complain when such a heavily promoted aspect of the game fails to live up to expectations.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
scnj said:
Zhukov said:

It's pretty understandable. Given that they released a 12 minute trailer of the campaign, the majority of the stuff at trade shows was showing off the campaign and that there were lengthy interviews [http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/31/battlefield-3-david-goldfarb-spells-out-single-player/] about the single player. That, combined with DICE stating that the campaign would be 12 hours long [http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/11673/battlefield-3s-12-hour-long-campaign-will-introduce-more-people] leads to a situation where people might want to try this game out for the single player experience, which by all accounts, has been a letdown. In fact, the 12 hours thing can be taken as a complete lie, given that most reviews so far have said around 4-5 hours and underwhelming.

I think it's completely fair for people to complain when such a heavily promoted aspect of the game fails to live up to expectations.
Oh, I'm not saying he shouldn't complain. Far from it. The campaign is indeed crap. See the first post in this thread.

I'm just puzzled by the notion of someone "only interested in single player" forking over cold hard cash for a Battlefield game.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Singleplayer on console has a lot of lag and some spurts, and glitches. And not even because there's anything really intense... the car scene lags all to hell. The lightning is pretty poor as well, very detracting. Difficulty is no where near balanced or at least not in terms of telling people inexperienced at what they'll really face and there should probably 4 levels Easy, Normal, Hard, and Veteran based on how they've set it up...

The guidance is a bit poor, and I still don't know how to take out my pistol.

It's fun somewhat but in the end you'll have some difficulty following.

I kept wondering why after all the night fights my guy was never given night vision goggles.

The lasersight is useless for all but the enemy...

---

I GameFly'd it.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Zhukov said:
scnj said:
Zhukov said:

Oh, I'm not saying he shouldn't complain. Far from it. The campaign is indeed crap. See the first post in this thread.

I'm just puzzled by the notion of someone "only interested in single player" forking over cold hard cash for a Battlefield game.
I was going to, after the 12 minute trailer and 12 hour promise. Then I reconsidered after the E3 tank video, and decided to wait for reviews. Frankly, I'm glad I did. Means I saved money not buying something I wouldn't be interested it.