Poll: How intelligent do you consider yourself

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I consider myself kind of intelligent. I ahve the ability to learna nd become good at anything I do, but I cam kind of lazy, so it balances out. I have never taken an IQ test, but I would like to. I consider myself more wise than intelligent, but I understand tha t a wise man knows himself to be a fool, whereas a fool thinks himself to be wise. In that case, I will just say that I have a lot more to learn in life, and that intelligence is not measured by how much you know, but by how much you have learned.

skoasha

Mar 5, 2011
There's a fine line between genius and crazy. I like to think i walk that line every day of my life.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
I know I'm of SOME intelligence, but I like to bluff that I'm smarter then I really am. There are always smarter people and I'm probably above average intelligence slightly, BUT I'm the kinda guy that'll read a book in a park, smoke a pipe, wear a smoking jacket, try to talk about a super hadron collider, that sort of thing. So, above average stats wise, super through the roof with a good bluff...

BlueOnBlue

Jan 29, 2010
2QUAR3D said:
I refuse to answer with anything other than "other".
The reason is because it's not intelligent to
A - Answer a poll on intelligence, when the answerer is subjective
B - Answer a poll when the options use terms such as "fucking holy shit intelligent" and "ehh kinda stupid".

Sorry :)
Good job, I know the answer is subjective, that's actually exactly why I'm asking this and asking how intelligent people *see* themselves as. I made this poll expecting almost exactly these results. People, no matter how objective they try to seem, always have a bias towards making themselves seem better, whether they're consciously trying to do this, or even aware of it, is another matter.

Besides that a post like this will naturally be more attractive to those who are proud of their intelligence and wouldn't be embarressed about telling people they don't know about it. People that are below average aren't going to really want to post here because telling a bunch of people that you're stupid isn't fun or a very attractive thing to do.

Also, about the terms used, those are just for fun, not serious.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Academically, I guess I'm average. Used to be smart through primary and secondary school, but my enthusiasm for learning fell flat on its face when I got to college.

Outside of class, where we're talking about intelligence that actually matters? I'm pretty dumb. Clumsy, not the best at understanding what people are on about or getting across what I'm on about, the usual stuff you'd associate with a moron.
But I'm nice to people, so that makes up for it, right?

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
I'm really around average, maybe a little above it, ever regarding my complete lack of common sense (I stabbed myself, for example). The only difference between me and a lot of truly intelligent people is that I try to apply my brain ti every situation, to learn constantly.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I guess I kind of consider myself somewhat intelligent. But only in some aspects like video games, reading, and possibly basic math.

One person did tell me I was wise for volunteering at someplace that gives out food to people who have low income, as that kind of thing looks good on a resume.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'd say about average.

Some things I have quite a lot of knowledge about other things I know sod all about.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Hrm, "intelligent" is a hard word to define. Like, in terms of mathematical ability, I am (or at least used to be) in the top 1% of the population (I have a Cambridge degree in Pure Maths). But in other ways there's no doubt I'm thick as shit. So, am I "intelligent"? You tell me.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
jagula_sector said:
Hey escapist community, I've been wondering how intelligent do you all consider yourself to be, and please, be honest. Additionally, if you so please, post why you consider yourself to be of that level of intelligence.

I personally believe I'm somewhere inbetween the ehh kinda intelligent and fucking holy shit intelligent. The reason why I believe this is because throughout my time in school I scored many 100%s on the standarized tests we took yearly, read at the level of a high school graduate when I was about 11, and tested at an iq of 134.

Thanks for sharing everyone!
I'm starting to wonder if these are legit IQ tests or online IQ tests.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
I'm smarter than the average banana.
EDIT: I know a banana with a 200 IQ score. This banana taught Einstein everything he knew.

joemegson94

Aug 17, 2010
I went with "FHS intelligent". I'm not quite at that level, but it's the answer to which I'm closest. I do write a pretty beast analysis.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Ehh, kinda intelligent.

I sem to be racing far ahead of my classmates in school (while I've finished every piece of work, they're still 5 projects behind). I also consider proper use of language to show higher intelligence and greater respect (for that language and the person you're typing to), but accept the occasional mistake, especially if the language is not your native.
I'm also doing well in all subjects at school so far (which is really just English and Mathmatics, with some "real life skills" (a.k.a. Bullshit) thrown in). By that I mean, I can do the work without explanation while others struggle with the basics.
I was also far ahead with my reading skills in primary school (elementary). I was reading at a high school level (junior high) in prep (lowest primay school level).
And I learnt quite a lot of German (and not just spelling and words, also pronunciation, with enough vocabulary to hold a fair conversation) in two years (now almost 3) with only the help of the Internet and my detmination.

BlueOnBlue

Jan 29, 2010
DonMartin said:
Cederearte said:
I'll just leave this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority#Cognitive_ability
Oh, but surely this is not the case here? I mean, we were all child geniouses and are as of now extremely high functioning humans.

"This means that the lower the IQ of an individual, the less capable they are of appreciating and accurately appraising others' IQ. Therefore individuals with a lower IQ are more likely to rate themselves as having a higher IQ than those around them."

People here need to read this. It'd be nice if they could rethink their answers, too.

OP: Personally, I put other, because, as others already have stated, it's kind of hard to define intelligence, or what kind of intelligence youre looking for. But if were talking IQ, I'd say Im about average or below. I did the highest level math in senior high, but it takes me a lot of time, notes, sketches and some discussion with either the teacher or another student to just get an answer, if not the right one. Also, my grades werent amazing either, just average.
Thanks for expressing the entire point I was aiming to show by creating this topic for me. I noticed that many, many times when I read posts on the escapist people talk about their superiority in intellect to all the people around them constantly. So I decided to make a topic to illustrate to people exactly what they're doing constantly.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
I think I'm above average. My modesty tells me no, but to quote a friend - "Stop being so damn smart!". Also, my testicles tell me so. Honestly. But it's not that big a deal, is it? It's how you use your mind that's important. I just memorise useless facts...
For every kilo of human, there are 26 kilos of bugs.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
A few years ago I was actually sent to this pyscho analyst and they did a few intelligence tests on me. The results came back and it said I am incredibly intelligent for my age group. Felt good.

Saying that, I dont really walk around solving mysteries and curing diseases. Im fairly normal. I just have a very smart way of looking at situations and problems. So..

Kinda Intelligent I guess.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Anyone who picks the maximum intelligence is a liar unless they discover a cure for cancer or something.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Last time I took my IQ I got 148. I get straight A's on my exams, and I know a hell of a lot of trivia, and general knowledge. My strong point is geography. I can name every country on the planet, name 5 cities or towns in said country, and 5 facts about the given country, and the town in which it resides.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
In secondary school I considered myself to be the smartest human being ever, but in my defence I was in a comprehensive school and I did leave with the highest GCSE grades in my year (I also have an IQ of 133). As I'm getting older and spending time around grammar school kids (who I still get pretty high scores next to) I realise that in the broad scheme of things I'm not that smart. Not that it bothers me; I don't really want to be the best at anything... I just want enough to get by comfortably.